A Dream So Real

Z Publishing House accepted me into their upcoming Emerging Poets 2018 series! They will be publishing my poem titled “A Dream So Real.” Do out on Amazon before of the end of the calendar year.

Hello there!

I have moved your thread to “Industry Insider” because of your news about being published, which is better suited in Industry Insider.

Thank you!

Nicole - Community Ambassador

Check out what the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) says to watch out for with publishers: https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/thumbs-down-publishers/

If Z Publishing has any of them, such as “fee-charging,” beware.

Unfortunately, as a small press, we cannot yet afford to pay our contributors royalties. The best we can do is offer payments based on commission--that is to say, you will be paid for all of the sales that you personally generate.

The part I bolded would concern me.

Here’s what someone on Reddit who used them says: https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/75d7mz/is_z_publishing_house_legit/

If they ask you to buy copies of the book or otherwise give them money for the honor of being included in the anthology, RUN. Do not participate.

There are many red flags with this company and you shouldn’t sign their contract. For instance:

(emphasis mine). But they don’t even have anything in the language that says what the term of the Agreement is.

So, you are going to give away your rights forever for no payment? This is a REALLY bad idea. Yeah, it’s non-exculsive, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are taking IP, profiting from it, and paying those that create it absolutely nothing.

I have not paid or subscribed to any Z publishing house. I entered 1 poem and they contacted me. I never planned on getting any money.

Which is a problem. The way “publishing works” is you are supposed to be paid for your intellectual property. Companies that (a) either take your money or (b) take your work without payment are exploiting you, and when people perpetuate that it’s okay to do so, it hurts all writers.

Very good point. There is a trend that seems to demand books should become cheaper all the time and ripping or copying is okay. They’re only books, hey.
Actually, authors should pay for getting read, right?