A personality you never write?

I was thinking about the kinds of people I know who I do not enjoy interacting with and don’t write.

One of the major ones is people who make jokes at other people’s expense or find reasons to laugh at people. I use a bear backpack as a purse and someone told me “why are you bringing your teddy bear? It’s not pajama day.” Stupid questions that they know there are no answers to so they can then laugh at the awkward situation they created. No one like that in my books.

Are there any personalities you never write?

5 Likes

A person who is annoying/rude/bullies others and feels no remorse for it. There’s a better way to write a bad character. I don’t want to belittle my MC, or have them be the punchline of the joke.

I dislike writing about girls as being mean. Something that’s common on this site is the slutshaming of cheerleaders in “good girl/ bad boy” stories and the degrading of women that are assertive. It bothers me, so if I create a “mean” character, there is always a motive behind it

6 Likes

You don’t have to be a cheerleader or a woman to be mean. You can also be an intellectual who considers themselves superior to others. A man raised with only brothers who was never taught how to interact with women. A religious person who believes their piousness makes them morally superior. So many other options.

4 Likes

Yessss! I just chose to point out women because they’re the most commonly used to portray mean people. Does that make sense?

1 Like

So far I have found that there isn’t much that I won’t write. Then again I haven’t really experimented with to many different character personalities.

2 Likes

I guess it’s harder for people to be creative when bound by the high school setting.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. That, and inexperienced writers talking about strong and mature themes such as abuse and misinterpreting it with possessive partners

1 Like

That’s so bad. It’s also why I labeled my book mature. I didn’t want to willfully expose young people to the topics that arise.

2 Likes

So someone like the person I described?

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

Girly girls and sweet girls essentially.

I have thought on this and I don’t think there is a type. I have written everything from adorable to downright vile. Actually had people read some stories then ask if there’s “something wrong with me” (lol)

I don’t think it is a good thing to have limits like that.

4 Likes

I tend to avoid writing about people who aren’t real feeling, like people who are extreme and unflexible in their viewpoints. I prefer that my characters live in the gray, like the real world. And I don’t mean characters with a moral code or anything like that, I just mean the kind that are obstinate to the point of stupidity and driving the plot.

Not really. I tend to write also personalities I hate and make sure they suffer really badly at least in my book.

Who said it had to be intentional?

I noticed recently, that none of my MCs nor their love interests smoke because I hate it and it makes a person instantly unattractive in my eyes so I couldn’t write someone being attracted to a smoker.

1 Like

Sociopath protagonists. Won’t touch that one with a ten foot pole.

1 Like

I feel the same about never being attracted to a smoker. Funny thing is tho, one of my MCs, her lover chain smokes cigars XD

1 Like

I’m struggling to think of one too tbh. I try and cover as much as I can.

“Never” write is a lot different than “have not yet written,” but I haven’t yet written about an autistic character or a character with a serious mental illness, in part because I’m not educated enough / experienced to feel confident in what I’m portraying.

1 Like