A Platform Other Than Wattpad Has Offered to Buy My Book: Thoughts?

Hello!
A representative of the writing platform similar to Wattpad but less popular, Dreame, e-mailed me recently explaining how they were interested in sharing my work on their website in exchange of dollars. I did some research and so far, the website seems pretty legitimate. They’re offering me an advance as well as a percentage of the profits made. Their copyright terms and conditions are sensible too.
I know that Wattpad has a pay for writers program as well and I can’t decide whether I should jump to the other platform, or let my story stay here where it already has a loving fanbase.
Help me decide, wattpaders!

3 Likes

I suggest moving this discussion to https://www.wattpadwriters.com/c/industry-insider The people on there are really helpful. I find it a bit interesting you’re leaving out the name of the company, which seems like a red flag to me.

2 Likes

I don’t personally have any advise on this other than to be very cautious, and maybe ask others if they’ve ever gotten offers like this from this site/company.
Though I agree with the post above that leaving out the name of the company seems much like a red flag.

I’ve gone ahead and moved your post over to #industry-insider. As @FantasybkLover suggested you’ll probably get a better response over there as that forum deals more with the publishing side of writing.

Thank you for your understanding.
Prisim :prisim:
Community Ambassador

1 Like

Well, I left out the name out because I didn’t want anyone to focus on that aspect of the issue. Also, I’m not sure what the community guidelines are on this matter so you could say I’m also playing safe :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you so much!

Yes, I am trying to be as cautious as I can because as alluring as their offer is, I know how quickly things can turn sour.

I don’t see why the fact that I left out the company’s name seems like a red flag. Could you please elaborate?

You can name names, just don’t link to them. Names are okay because there are a lot of known scam sites that are trying to poach Wattpad users which is against Wattpad terms. And it’s also easier for users to give you honest feedback if they know the company that’s approaching you.

Like if this publisher that you’re talking about is Dreame or FicFun, run. Run fast. Also report the account because they’re not supposed to be doing this.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, the person did introduce themselves as a representative of Dreame!
Thank you for letting me know! Heading to report that account now.

Kind thought it might be them. They’ve been a fairly big pain with their poaching. Their terms are not author friendly at all.

1 Like

Oh, have they? That’s probably because on their site there is a special notice asking readers to “recommend internet authors that they want to see on Dreame” which is probably how they are being led to Wattpad and author profiles.
They have two types of contracts: one that pays more but no digital copyrights and the second one that pays less but full protection of copyrights. I thought it would be a good way of increasing my work’s visibility with a little extra income, you know?

1 Like

This must be some other site called Dreame, then, because the one I saw was quite author-hostile. Using Wattpad’s messaging system to ask users to post stories on other sites is against Wattpad’s terms of service. Dreame have been told many times not to do it. Personally, I’d be wary of doing business with someone who seems to have such a lax attitude towards other people’s rules.

It’s a safe bet to say that anyone that approaches you will not have a good contract. They prey on Wattpad users.

Good publishers do not generally seek people out.

I’ve tried using Dreame before, and while they do have a nice little audience that picks up on books fast, the high demand there is werewolf, romance, and billionaires. Also, they don’t pay you that much if you happen to sign a contract with them. They only offer you 50 dollars and that’s AFTER you’ve written the amount of words they request, which is 30,000 within the month. So, not very much of a good deal if you’re thinking about signing over with them. But, that’s just from my experience and what I’ve seen, etc.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know. As it was my first time being approached with such an offer, I thought it was the way it is out there. Now that I read everyone’s opinions of it, I realise how naive I was being :sweat_smile:

That makes sense. Thank you!

I agree completely. These were my same exact thoughts when I was considering their offer. The content on Dreame is blatantly erotic and the story they were interested is a fluffy humor. It isn’t a great addition if you take in account their target audience and demographic.
Thank you for sharing your opinion, all these comments have really put matters into perspective for me.

3 Likes

With Dreame I strongly suggest you report the account. They are poaching readers on Wattpad and have been repeatedly warned about that. They just create new accounts and keep on poaching. This is not okay and I would strongly advice to steer clear of them! You are not naive, you just don’t know certain things and that is exactly what they are taking advantage of! GRRR! :rage:

1 Like

I’ve reported it. Something needs to be done about these poachers as it is putting the reliability and authenticity of the Wattpad experience at risk. Thank you for understanding! If there’s any way I can contribute to resolving this growing issue please do let me know.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Wattpad is aware of the issue but it is very hard to stop determined poachers if they keep opening new accounts. They even approached me and some other ambassadors, which is beyond stupid.
But their business model seems to be based on going after people. Nasty.

1 Like