A question about publishers and followings

Exactly right!

Stephen King’s books published as Richard Bachman did not sell until people found out it was King.

Actually I think most of them didn’t sell well until the pen name was associated with the big name.

They got published though :grin:

And honestly most pen names are exposed in this day and age anyway…

this has been a really helpful and uplifting response to this thread, thank you for posting!

No, the article specifically mentions WP. It’s linked to an earlier post on this thread, so you can take a look at it yourself.

This is a great conversation first and foremost.

I am curious though, someone educate me if I am wrong, but would it even matter if the work you were querying was the exact same version as the one on wattpad? I’m thinking after evaluation and the house edits it may be a fairly different book altogether?

It will be. Pandean could probably give you a good insight to that to be honest. Apparently White Stag is a lot different on Wattpad to what’s being released, but I don’t think querying the exact same version would be that bad. It really depends on how polished the overall work/book is at the end of the day (and when you do submissions, agents do look around at if you write in other places online etc).

This is why the scare mongering about loss of first rights really isn’t an issue. The draft most writers post on Wattpad, and that they query, might be quite different to the final, edited & polished version. I know when I was querying and had a revise & resubmit (R&R) the story changed significantly, and that was still before any edit passes.

Pretty much what I thought thanks a lot. I think part of the fear is that perhaps people don’t realize sometimes what’s been the standard in the 70’s or the 90’s is vastly different now and it has to be.

Exactly! Times change. We live in a digital age and agents/publishers realise writers seek feedback online.

Good publishers and agents are aware of WP, that writers use it to get feedback on their novel. Mine did and had no qualms whatsoever. I could not post the final version on here, but that’s logical.
I would say, if somebody has an issue with drafts being out on WP, they need to amp up on their knowledge.
And as @AWExley say, the texts will change so much between the WP and the final version, it really is not an issue.

I don’t think WP followers are weighted as well as other types of followers (for instance Goodreads). With an exception made about YA or Romance (as these areas trend big on Wattpad). Why? Well, because the Wattpad audience tends to trend young, and they also like “free” stuff and publishers like people who pay for things. There have been some people with big followings (1M+) that have gotten publishing deals and their following certainly helped, but I’m not sure it’s a strategy that I would work toward.

I think Wattpad suffer from this more than other sites. Let’s look at Goodreads. On that site readers are buyers and EXPECT to pay for their reading material. On this site, they are EXPECTING to get it for free.

Alternatively, think of instagram or snapchat! If we’re talking about social media in general, not that many of them expect to pay for something. As you said, Goodreads has people who EXPECT to pay for something. That’s not the case for a lot of social media out there.

Which is why using most social media for marketing has been so hard. People don’t join to be sold something.

But publishers still ask for someone to have social media. If they have a big following, it can be a huge plus. It’s not like it does nothing. Some sites are better than others for certain things, but any kind of big social media following can help people out.

Yes, they do. Honestly, I’m not convinced PUBLISHERS know anything about social media. Publishers are still very stuck in the 20th century way of doing things.

Regardless, I’m not saying it’s not advantageous. I’m saying that for most forms of social media it’s not about marketing/selling – it’s about having a social presence that your readers can relate to.

Ah, then we can agree! Lol :blush:

Lack of a big social media footprint isn’t going to squelch any deal for you. Agents and publishers look at the story and how compelling it is first and the social side as an aside. If you have a huge following, it might help the size of the advance, but that’s about it. A small following (or none) won’t hurt you.