A “would you rather”

If you had to choose between your book(s) being moderately successful in your lifetime (let’s say you make enough royalties to almost live off them but not quite), or extremely popular but only after your death (a bajillion people buy and enjoy them, english professors swoon at your name, but you get pretty much rock-bottom sales during your life), which would you prefer? We’re assuming that you aren’t aware that either of these will happen.

I’ve had this bouncing around my skull for a while so I figured I’d post it and see if anyone has thoughts.

I think I’d much prefer post-humous success. At least they’ll still be talking about me. :wink:

5 Likes

Well, moderate success makes you a good living :thinking: and I personally hate it when some artist dies and then society acknowledges their worth. So, I’d rather be moderately successful in my lifetime.

8 Likes

I’d go with option 1 and be moderately successful. That was my goal all along - not landing the next big hit, but at least being able to walk into my favourite book shop to see my work being laid out, waiting for customers. Maybe getting to sign some copies if somebody asks me for it.

1 Like

Interesting question. Probably the second. I like to think about a large amount of people enjoying my work after I die. (It’d also be great to see a lot of people enjoying my work when I’m still alive, but you can’t have everything.) Most of the English professors I know are great and if they swooned at my name my life would be fulfilled. Also, I could come back as a ghost and haunt my readers.

2 Likes

hmmm. well i dont care about the money, i dont intend to make any anyway, so the question is either dying knowing you had some success, or die feeling like a failure a but have an ultimately higher fan base. i wanna say the latter because it brings more joy to the world, but then i die not knowing it, and that would suck. so selfishly i’d rather know i didnt fail before i die. define moderate success, because i’d be fine knowing a wrote a book with a descent fan base. i dont require millions of readers to feel successful. so it depends on weather or not “moderate” is fairly flattering. i still wouldn’t want to get old and think i wasted my life.

2 Likes

MOderately successful. I’ll be dead anyway :’)

1 Like

i would want people to love my work after i passed as my work isnt there for money but to make people happy and feel like they have a safe space where they can go for honesty and empathy whilst being represented but also as a source to learn and how they can evolve their mindset

1 Like

Definetely the first one

1 Like