Add something new to the Werewolf genre

critiques

Are most werewolves considered by the character’s society (in the book) to be bad. Like vampires usually are?

My werewolves go to great lengths to conceal their existence. There is even an Order that basically serves as the werewolf Men in Black. (The Order also hunts down and destroys vampires.) But, to quote something I wrote while working on my story today…

In this day and age when everyone had a camera on them, Odysseus had no doubt that he would live to see the day when thropes were outed and everything would change. The argument inevitably came up every Alpha’s summit. Many wanted to reveal themselves on their own terms rather than wait for someone’s camera phone to catch a werewolf in the midst of something unsavory. Odysseus understood this reasoning and even considered it the wisest option. But at the same time, the safety of his pack, of his children, was his number one priority. He had already failed [his daughter] Sarah. He wouldn’t fail [his sons] Geronimo or Phoenix, and if it meant keeping them under the shield of the status quo for as long as it could be maintained, then so be it.

Kelley Armstrong’s Otherworld series briefly touches on this in one of the books. In her teen series, there’s a werewolf (a person who turns into a wolf through a painful process) and a skinwalker (a person who shifts into a cougar through a trance-like state that leaves them disoriented).

Humans aren’t aware of the existence of werewolves. The main plot of my first book is that the Protar Alpha sees some things and thinks that it’s a prophecy to reveal themselves to humans now.

Werewolves are not the only shifters in my universe, just the most common. There’s a species of female-only werefoxes (the werefox gene only passes on with two X chromosomes) that inspired the kitsune myths in Japan. There are also a few werepanthers and werebulls.

Worked with Diné (Navajo) students, and studied the language and lore. I’ve heard quite a few stories about skinwalkers (yee naaldlooshii) but only about wolves or coyotes. Never heard any about cougars. Is there a source mentioned, or is it something she invented?

There are lots of Japanese tales about kitsune (fox spirits) and some very cool art, masks, etc.

foxdance

kitsune

Oh this reminded me that the werewolf Alpha in that series has Kitsune blood too. She wrote a short story on it.

Well the plot of the skin walker series was that there were scientists who wanted to resurrect extinct supernatural species. It’s been years since I read it but I think they used a cougar for the experiment and succeeded? I don’t remember.

Werewolf vs deforestation.

I love how memey you’re being in this thread :joy:

That’s pretty cool. It’s been a while since I’ve been in the werewolf/vampire etc world. I was wondering if most of the werewolves are Euro/Americanized derived werewolves, or if there’s any out there that have other cultures like Danish or Asian folklore in them, for example. I have an idea for a story, but I don’t want to disappoint myself or readers if someone did it WAYYY better than I could ever do lol.

Let me elaborate a little:
Like in Celtic or Irish folklore, the presence of werewolves is mostly welcomed. Back in the day anyways before Christianity started to sweep through Ireland. They were considered warriors and strove to protect people, and their situation was a gift, not a curse as some other cultures have seen it. Most werewolf stories ive read are like a secret clan that battles humans, not works with them. Which, makes sense in a lot of ways.

Okay so to make the very LONG story of my world’s mythology short, human society was once extremely advanced to the point where we were exploring the solar system and dabbling in genetic engineering. But a biogenic plague swept across the planet, mutation people into what was more or less a zombie apocalypse. The man that the Bible calls Noah built several high-tech seeder arcs, shot most of them into space in case his plan for Earth didn’t work, and caused an extinction event to happen to wipe the planet clean so life could start over. One or two of the zombies survived, and mutated into the first vampires–walking corpses that require the hormones in human blood to slow their necrosis. Noah genetically engineered the first werewolves to serve as the fledgling human race’s protectors, and they have lived in secret beside us ever since. The Irish folklore of benevolent werewolves is closer to the truth.

Noah created some other were-creatures as well, including the very rare werepanthers in South America, the werebulls who inspired the minotaur myth in Greece, and female-only werefoxes who became the kitsune of Japanese myth.

That’s a very complex world. Good job :slight_smile:

Thanks

The werewolves in the universe of one of my stories have their human skin begin to peel, rot, and fall off on the day of transformations. The shift takes multiple hours and is extremely painful in the way of broken bones and separated joints/torn ligaments. The werewolf is “born” by forcing its way out of the mouth of the human body. This event is reversed when they shift back.

That’s a great idea

In 2015, the 29th International Congress on Lycanthropes Palaeo-Genetics was held “together” with a similar human congress. “Together” in this context means: The humans – bar a handfull – had no glue. Here a quote from the keynote:

We speak of mutation, because it refers to a permanent change in the genetic material. We can say that with this mutation – probably 2 million years ago – a phenotype of its own developed in the taxon homo. We can say that this phenotype is stable and represents a clear minority to the predominant phenotype homo sapiens. We can also say that despite all the apparent advantages of the phenotype homo lupus – extreme longevity, greater physical and mental resilience, higher social intelligence, and so on – this mutation is obviously rather negative, since the homo lupus phenotype reaches just under 1% of the homo sapiens population. So we can say a lot about ourselves.

What we cannot say: How the mechanism of shape change works, where this mechanism comes from, how and why it has developed as a survival strategy, why it does not occur in other taxa and what effects the ability of shape change has, for example, on the current formulation of the law of conservation of energy and other basic physical laws.

Those are my 'wolves: you go STEM or you go home.

Maybe taking different cultural ideas of werewolves, and write a fiction in modern times, but whatever culture you use you carry their ancient or older ideas of folklore/paranormals and bring it forward as if no one forgot about them.
Maybe it’s worded wierd so here’s an example:
Irish werewolves were considered protectors and often were recruited by Kings as warriors. They were seen as gifted with an honor instead of cursed. Instead of imposing the evolution of society’s beliefs over time, keep the culture alive as if whatever factor (Christianity is one in the Irish case) was not introduced. 2018 belief in faery hounds, pooka, and werewolves, but they’re something normal not abnormal.

I still think my wording was weird. I have a hard time translating what my brain is thinking into words in such a short passage. Haha.