Advice on getting critiques on Wattpad?

Hi everybody! I’m pretty new to Wattpad (been here less than 6 months), so any help is appreciated!

Does anybody have advice on the best way to get critiques/feedback for your Wattpad stories?

I’m aware there are certain threads on the forums here and on the main website, but it seems like the feedback there is usually one-sentence or none at all (I’ve been skipped/not replied to in those “rate my…” threads at least 4 times now). I’ve seen some review “books” on Wattpad, but they all seem to be closed or dead.

Is there another way I’m not aware of? A better way to find working critique threads/books? Does anybody have any tips on getting quality critiques? What’s been your experience receiving critiques for your work on Wattpad, and did you find it helpful/worth it?

Book clubs are a good way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: What’s a good way to find bookclubs to join?

1 Like

Searching “book club” and finding ones that include the word “open” in their title and have been updated recently.

2 Likes

Ah, so there are book clubs that are posted as stories. Got it.
Thanks, @FetchingPenumbra! I’ll have to try that.

2 Likes

First of all, welcome to Wattpad!

Personally, some of my best critiques have come from befriending other writers and exchanging feedback with them. It’s a win-win situation, and you get exposed to other writing styles, too!

Alternatively, there is a thread for critics to advertise their services over on the old threads:

https://www.wattpad.com/forums/vanilla/discussion/1208052/find-a-critic-or-reviewer-here-one-advert-only.-no-reposting-refreshed-june-13th

There are also people who run critique/review books that are open to submissions.

For these, just search something along the lines of “review book” or “critique book”.

Make sure the book has been updated recently and the user is active before requesting.

Oh, and on the beta forums, there’s a special club dedicated to critics offering services:

https://www.wattpadwriters.com/c/story-services/critiques-and-feedback

As far as book clubs go, I’m not a super big fan of them but for some people, it may be helpful.

Regarding your question about “quality critiques”, it’s really a matter of trial and error.

I’m not going to lie to you and say any critique is a good critique because clearly, some people are more experienced at critiquing than others. I, myself, have gone through numerous people for one of my works who have given less than helpful responses. So, it’s a matter of trying different people and seeing what works for you. I hope this response is somewhat helpful. Best of luck with finding critiques! :lumi:

5 Likes

Thank you so much, @Lumi! This is super helpful too. I’ll be sure to check those all out.

1 Like

No problem! I’m also a critic over on these beta forums, but I’m swamped with work, so my requests are closed. If you ever see it open, though, feel free to hop on over. I’ve been critiquing for about 1-2 years, and I have a decent amount of experience with it.

3 Likes

I’ll keep an eye out :slight_smile: Good luck getting through the backlog!

1 Like

Yeah finding critique books and requesting one is the best way. Sometimes they are closed but might make an exception if you’re friends or whatever.

For quality critiques, the best way is to see what the person says about their critiques. Some just say “I will do a critique!”, it might be not that elaborate. Some might say “I will focus on the flow, plot holes, or something else if you specify.” those might be a bit more elaborate. Usually, if they say they are harsh then you know it might be elaborate. But some people can just be mean so you never know.

Some include a list of their critiques in their book, you can check them out. For example in my critique book I have a list of completed work I did, just so that people can check it out and get an idea of what I do.

2 Likes

When finding someone, ask them what type of things they critique and see if they’re consistent with their comments in regards to what they’ve said they would look at. Some people aren’t that great at being consistent while others are :wink:

It’s something to be aware of

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to Wattpad! :slight_smile:

The best way to get a critique is to find them through the Find a Critic thread. There are a lot of people who don’t always do their end of the bargain, so you can try to find those that have simple payments like a follow or adding their book to your reading list. But if you can’t find someone to do it, post your own advert. Of course, this will mean that it changes from finding a critic to a critique exchange (you do theirs, they do yours). But to make sure it happens properly, you want to add in that they have to do their side of the bargain first before you do yours. This way, it’s not like cheating. You know?

The rate threads aren’t all that great at finding feedback as, like you said, are mainly one sentence stuff, but I do recommend trying out the critique threads in the Improve Your Writing club. :wink:

Most critiques I’ve gotten are very helpful. They usually do a couple paragraphs for the overall story and other things regarding mistakes, and it is well worth it. I have, however, experienced some half-assed critiques or too-opinionated critiques that weren’t all that helpful, but I hardly experience these. I think the last time it happened was like a year ago, so… it doesn’t happen often. But two of the major ones that came to mind was some guy who didn’t even read my story (or it seemed like it) as they were like, “Who is the character? You need more character development.” Even though the name of the MC was in the chapter… like five times. And plus, if that wasn’t enough, their name was on the summary. And they never explained why I needed character development or where I needed it. That was my half-assed experience.

Another person was like, “Why did he ask her if she’s okay? Obviously she’s not fine… her fiance died! I think this needs to be rewritten.” Even though what this person was referring to was a normal, human interaction. Have you ever been sad or crying and someone asked, “Are you okay?” Because I have, even though it’s obvious that I’m not okay. And that’s what happened in the story… xD The same person also told me that the last name of another character seemed too forced, even though I’ve met people who have “too forced” last names… Haha So that was my too-opinionated experience.

3 Likes

Honestly, the best way I’ve gotten solid critiques was to team up with a critic, become “buddies” and critique each other’s work. And be real about it. This is such a fickle way to get honest critiques because some will just give “good/positive” critiques in order to get better critiques in return.

So besides a buddy, try and join the #ReadersReactMovement (they have a channel with the same name) After adding their tag to my books and writing a little intro about how I am very much open to critiques, I started getting unsolicited critiques. - which were great!

Bookclubs are good, if you find a good club. Which can be super hard. I’d recommend finding one that isn’t based on pairs - which means, you don’t get paired up with one reader and you guys exchange critiques on one chapter in each other’s books. I’ve found that to be the worst approach. The better one is one where you’re in groups and a book gets “featured” every week. And sometimes that book will be yours.

Larger channels like @Rebel_Town have started offering beta readers - so you could look into that too.

3 Likes

Thanks @bangtancha @JMills @AliciaM21 @AWFrasier !
This is all helpful as well :slight_smile:
I feel like I’ve already learned more in this thread than I have in the past few months poking around Wattpad :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

That’s interestng about the chapter by chapter with pairing. I’ve found that to be the best way, especially if you establish a focused relationship with the user. I’ve gotten way more out of that than with being featured in groups.

I guess it works out differently for users. @Lavapulse, you just have to find what works for you :wink:

2 Likes

I really? I always had really bad experiences with it. If I gave a somewhat negative critique, people came back with an even worse one - if I gave somewhat positive, people came back with positives. It did my head in.

1 Like

I’ve honestly found it really good. You have to find the ones who don’t winge and complain, ones who honestly can take anything (which is hard to find btw).

I think part of it is luck, and the other part being honest as hell before you even start critiquing. Ever since I’ve taken that approach, I’ve had no issues at all

3 Likes

See, that’s what I had with the “buddies” :joy: But with the bookclubs and the pairs changing every week, it was just too hard to actually establish a good working relationship.

1 Like

I’ve found the clubs that focus on 1 to 1 with miminmum 3 chapters reads for the week is really good. An example of that would be the NBR. If I was to join book clubs again, I would go on that one, but with the amount of writing I do vs time and IRL, I don’t think I have the time.

Things like 1 chapter featured a week is a waste of time in my opinion. Having large groups look at work actually doesn’t work it does the opposite :wink:

1 Like

I used to be part of a book club. I personally think best book club is one comment a week one. If they ask
For more the people rush it and I would rather get one comment that’s long and detailed rather than have three that’s short and says wow, amazing. I don’t go to book clubs these days simply because I have no time to act on critiques. It’s one thing to ask for it but another thing is we must act on what we hear otherwise what’s the point. I don’t ask for feedback unless I have enough time to spend on improving. Honestly reads pile up over time. For over a year I only had one reader who commented constantly and kept me going. Then slowly got more reads as I wrote more books. Updates helped… but getting readers is extremely slow.

1 Like