Advice you would give to your 25 yr old self?

If you had 2 hours to spend with the 25 year old self, what’s the main piece of advice you’d want to give that version of yourself? I’m interested to know how people look back on this time in their life and what if anything they would be interested to change,

Would you want to study harder? Be braver? Invest in stocks? Learn what stocks are?

I’m turning 25 in a couple of weeks and feeling a little lost and I’m looking for a little inspiration

So minus betting on football games, explaining Donald Trump and convincing the 25 yr old version of yourself that time travel is real, what would you say?

I wouldn’t want to spend two hours with that annoying, irresponsible prick. I’d let the guy fend for himself.

Well, me being 25 was way back in the olden days two years ago… And I would say, “You know that weekend visit with your dad where you were going to talk about our issues and resolve them and play one last game of cards together? Yeah, you should move that up one weekend sooner.”

But all that aside, definitely be braver is a good one. Stop procrastinating and just do stuff.

@mhunyadi Your comment made me chuckle sadly… So true. :stuck_out_tongue:

My twenty-five-year-old self was in 1969. My advice would be to enjoy the diversity and the sampling, and ignore the disappointment from failed searches for the right direction. Don’t be afraid to try new things, new ventures, new relationships. Don’t be concerned if things don’t go as planned; remember that plans are mental constructs, not reality. Focus on what is, but always keep an eye on what could be. Don’t be afraid to step out, to stand out, to be seen as weird. Be yourself.

Looking back nearly half a century, I see I followed this advice, and life has evolved superbly for me. oldman

25 was five years ago for me. I’m not sure I’m too different now, or would have changed much, but I definitely would have written more and gotten myself out there sooner in terms of sharing my work and creating an online presence, like Wattpad, Twitter, Facebook, etc. I wasted a lot if time hiding it and only picking at my work here and there.

And of course there are several instances where I said something stupid or was inconsiderate to my wife that I would love to go back and tell myself not to do.

I thought about this recently, actually! I’m 27 so I don’t exactly have piles of wisdom to share, but there was one thing that stuck out for me.

I’d want to tell myself that going through one door doesn’t mean another door automatically closes. This is a bit of an extension on the old “when one door closes another opens” cliché, and I guess I mean that sometimes you think that you have choices in front of you, and that by choosing one you automatically reject the other, but I’ve found that’s just not true.

For example, as I finished my undergrad, I had a hard time choosing between continuing my studies in grad school or taking some time off to work. I thought that by choosing one I was denying myself the opportunities that the other could afford. But, I discovered that by going to grad school (which was the choice I made), I actually set myself up for amazing work experiences that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. And once I started working full-time, I discovered tons of professional development and continuing education opportunities. I realized that I had put so much pressure on myself to make the right decision, when either way I still had access to elements of both opportunities. I would have been fulfilled and just fine either way.

So, I would say: relax and have faith in yourself. You will find a way to do the things that matter to you - to be the person you aspire to be - no matter what.

PREACH