Age related search facility for WP writers

I’m not going to get into this discussion, it’s the way I see it. That’s all

I think a search function like this would highlight the teen writers, making them a lot easier to avoid for people who would otherwise never know they were reading books by a teen - but don’t like to knowingly read books by a teen

Are people that biased against teens?

Just judging from the forums? Oh yeah. Every time bad writing is mentioned, “teen writers” are not far behind.

1 Like

But that doesn’t mean they’re telling the truth.

Especially “teen girls”. Sometimes I wonder if people forget they were once teens as well.

1 Like

Yeah, no group is as hated by all as teen girls. And all the things teen girls like to consume. Like boy bands or popular YA books.

I can see a function like this turn super sour very fast. Not to mention, I don’t see what my age has to do with any of my writing.

3 Likes

Exactly. It’s about experience, passion, and imagination. A book written by a 16-year-old who’s been writing for years can be infinitely better than a book written by a thirty-year-old who has never picked up the pen before. Also, I’m pretty sure my grammar and spelling was at its best when I was 11 and obsessed with grammar rules.

Writers mature. Very few of us start out writing well at 13. So by that yardstick, age has a lot to do with it. Otherwise there wouldn’t be all this bias against teens.

Seems this thread has opened a can worms, and it wasn’t my intention to rile people up. I was merely thinking how I’d like a search for older writers, not to ‘exclude’ anyone.

WP is very inclusive. It’s diverse and a great place to start your writing career. I don’t doubt a lot of future authors will come out of this platform.

2 Likes

I mean, I totally get the “experience” argument. But considering I most read Fantasy, I don’t think it’s something that’ll hinder a teen too much. Or anyone, really.

Oh no, I’m not riled up. I think it’s super interesting because I’ve honestly never thought about it.

And it’s funny how our conversation has only revolved around teens and there has been few mentions of the difference between a 25-year-old and a 60-year-old.

2 Likes

My OP was about searching for older writers. Now’t to do with teenagers.

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t care either way. It wouldn’t affect me. I’ll read whichever story looks good to me. If others want it, cool. If they don’t, cool. I’ll just be here, doing what I do best. Writing.

1 Like

He is very cute, but Kate is cuter.

1 Like

Came back to this topic just to talk a little about that(the whole isolation of teen writers.)

I’m a fourteen year old girl, and maybe because of that I will sound biased—because I am biased, no denying that—and I’d like to discuss this a little further.

I understand the intention, I won’t deny the fact that the more age an author has, a reader can assume has more experience as a writer, which means better writing. Sure.

But who is going to search for teen writers, is my question? (Genuine question, by the way)

Other than other teen writers, which don’t make such a big percentage, I highly doubt many would purposely look for younger authors.

As soon as WP hypothetically makes this search function an operating function, readers will be informed that “hey, the age of the author matters” according to Wattpad, and will be more likely to steer clear of teenage authors, the way I see it.

And that leaves me and my little growing heart broken :,)

In no way am I certain that this will happen, but it’s a potential scenario in a whole deck of scenarios. I just think it’s a bit of an unnecessary division, honestly.

Oh, one last thing. A lot can happen in a few years, which can impact the maturity of a person, which is why the experience argument is also a bit flawed. Some us grew up alone and without much help or support. Not the majority, sure, but I think it’s a noteworthy exception. Humans are predictable but also very much not.

2 Likes

I love Kate. Got to see her live in 2012.

1 Like

Which is what I find super interesting :joy: Because immediately my mind went to “oh is this an excuse to disregard the works of teens?”

1 Like

So jealous.

I have an historical knife made by her nephew. He had been recommended by another maker of replica objects, and his name, Owen Bush, did not mean anything until I looked up where he lives. It is where Kate was a kid, and in the local pub was where she first performed. It’s a bit of pilgrimage spot. I was totally gob-smacked.

1 Like

Judging from the comments on here, lots of readers will continue reading with disregard to the writer’s age. I have a tendency to check out writers from this forum because I like the way they post or they put links to their work in the relevant categories. Age has nothing to do with it. But…not being a teenager, my preference is writers who are 25+. But that’s just me. I should think the majority of writers and readers are teens, so you won’t have a problem.

1 Like

True. The fact that people outside of Wattpad say things such as “the writers on here are 13 years old” or something like that. And yeah, they started on Wattpad around that age, but they’re older and their writing has improved, matured, grown, etc.

1 Like

Absolutely not. I wasn’t even thinking that when I posted the topic.

1 Like