Agents' thoughts on querying work posted previously on Wattpad

Hopefully I didn’t confuse anyone but that’s exactly what I meant. I used those two books in reference for the fact that drafts can co-exist on site while being published in print. But also to reference the kind of numbers folks will need to be considered. It is definitely hard and maybe I didn’t make it explicit enough but its why I said its huge risk. Not everyone will make that cut. Before you post you have no idea if said book will be a huge success or not. No book is guaranteed to succeed and that’s the scary part of it. For most books average readership won’t cut it unless they did a complete re-write as there is a story on here like that titled Sierra Santiago and the Invisible city. the draft still exists on wattpad but its published rewritten form is very different from the final draft though there is resemblance content wise. The printed book is titled Shadowshaper by Daniel Jose Older. I bring this book up because at 16.5k reads it doesn’t have that much traction compared to other books but the story still found its home under scholastic. Its a great book from a marginalized voice.

Wattpad Studios sort of acts as their agent when pitching to publishers (for writing) and to other platforms, like for tv and movies.

More information about Wattpad Studios can be read here: https://www.wattpad.com/writers/opportunities/studios/

I do like this, I’m wondering though, were the plans finalized recently, or has it been a plan for a while?

While it’s not exactly like it, I do see Wattpad as a kind of “Canadian Shuesha.”

That is true, they acted as the agent via Ashleigh Gardener but correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the book directly scouted via Eileen Rotschild who is the editor at St.Martin’s press?

(i think it was those days when agents/editors scoured here?)
Was Pan a wattpad star prior to white stag?

Yeah, I think Pan was a star before. She won a Watty in 2016 and I think she got the star badge soon after. (Don’t quote me on that though)

I had to ask as my presence here was scanty in 2015 even though i made an account. I just came back outta the blue a year or two later. Tada! lol

Fascinating. Thank you. the information about Sierra Santiago and the Invisible City is really great. Was that also agented by Wattpad?

I did not know the books you referenced were agented by Wattpad. It goes to show there are so many roads to Rome.

Regarding the risk being huge… it makes me feel a bit sad tbh. I don’t know if I would go back in time and change my path. Probably not. Posting on Wattpad gave me a huge confidence boost as a writer. However, the stories in my epic series are crazy meandering discovery drafts that are just FULL of plot holes and bad endings… there was never ANY hope of them being huge successes. However, having posted them here, I’ve potentially impacted the possibility of publishing them traditionally even though I’ve substantially rewritten them since posting.

:tada: I’m here! :tada:

She’s been a star for as long as I’ve been here. And I signed up 2 years ago. I also remember White Stag being talked about getting published back then already. I think it all happened rather fast - the Stars programme, the Wattys and then the pub deal with Macmillan. (I think she’s with Macmillan… Right?)

And this is why I find agents who say that “publishing works online is bad” archaic. With the internet we don’t have to be alone with writing. We don’t have to edit alone. We don’t have to sit with drafts for years and years, trying to find plotholes. And we don’t have to wait until we’re fully published to see if there’s any interest either.

Wattpad is a great tool. And it’s sad agents and publishers can’t see that.

Nope, Daniel did that work on his own. I don’t believe he was even agented at the time it got sold. The Arthur A Levine imprint acquired it and they sometimes take unagented works

White Stag is through Wednesday Books, which is an imprint of St. Martins, which is under Macmillan (confusing, I know).

Jesus Christ :joy:

At least I was like… 30% right.

This a big relief though, because at least while the first print is gone, it’s something to learn from, for future projects.

I’m not saying I wont publish on my blog, just that it effects what I publish, so I maximize my chances of being represented.

This effects the new semi-memoir I’m working, but not the Light Novel though. I’m not saying the older couldn’t be published, just I have a lot of issues I need to iron out.

Thing is though why I find it a little disconcerting is that, technically swoon reads does the same thing in terms of putting the MS in full online. Its read my multiple people gets voted for a chance to be published. Maybe i’m ignorant here but why is that setup so different from wattpad simply because a publisher set the site up vs a non publisher (wattpad’s status at then time)

Both the Studios and Stars programs have been around for quite awhile. Some of the most notable mentions, I can think off the top of my head:

• The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles, pubbed 2012, now a Netflix movie
  • After by Anna Todd, pubbed 2014, now a major motion picture
  • Light as a Feather by Zoe Aarsen, pubbed 2013, now a Hulu show

Of course there are quite a few other examples, but these are the big ones right now.

Speaking of TV series - what happened to Cupid’s Match? Did it just never take off after those “concept” shots?

In my personal opinion, SwoonReads is for submitting only polished, completed manuscripts. It’s more “serious”. Submissions have the purpose of getting the chance to be published, while Wattpad has the opportunity, but it isn’t the main goal of the platform.

So while yes both are online, the difference between the manuscripts is definitely there.

I think they’re starting to see it. But they’re like Ebineezer Scrooge hoarding his money. They have their empires to protect and they don’t like change. I mean, they still demand times new roman and courier font for pete’s sake! Especially with Amazon they are crapping their pants and really some publishers are trying desparately hard to put up high walls around their castles.

But Amazon fights back and is making inroads. Amazon published books (not self-published, but repped books published by Amazon imprints) aren’t allowed in bookstores, so Amazon makes their own bookstores and they’re doing well!

Change is coming slowly, but it is coming.

Not sure :frowning: I was actually really pumped to see that one!

I’m just glad it’s not like the “Grandia has 80s hours of Gameplay” hijinks, that little white lie that makes whatever is being sold a little more appealing, even if it’s … not … quite true, but we love it anyway.

I am wondering though, the Hollywood bit is interesting. That would be one thing, I’d think one would need an agent for (or someone acting as such) just to sort out contractual issues the above authors may have.