Alternate Title Game

Provide your current title.

Below it, provide three alternate titles that would work for your book and tell us why they fit your book.

The next person to post will which title is their favorite out of the four listed.

Current Book Title:

Life, Love And A Little Coffee

Alternate Book Titles:

Rumor Has It A rumor in the book about two friends having a secret affair kicks off a series of events and changes perspective.

An Unexpected Truth. The rumor above helps the two friends in the story realize their feelings for one another.

Maintain Sanity & Keep Caffeinated This was my tagline in the blurb and everyone enjoyed it.

Ohh I like your current title, but if not that one then Rumor Has It. It’s shorter then the others, and catchy.

Current title: Fractured Red

Alternate titles:
My Last Breath- in the book she is essentially dying from a curse that was placed on her.

Cursed to the Moon- she is a shifter and was cursed by Lua Lupa—the Moon deity

Stained- the event that leads tonher being cursed, is that she killed someone.

I would have loved ‘Last Breath’ without ‘my’ as an alternative.

Current title:

Crimson Qi

Alternatives:

Noblesse Oblige - a lot of the plot in the book is about obligations and how to fulfil them in unexpected ways
Crystaline Hsin - shifts the emphasis of the book towards the mages and the other magic system
Warmage Sixteen - foreshadows the importance of the narrator in the second part of the book. Sixteen is an unlucky number in the setting, and the book deals with bad luck a lot…

I’m fine with Warmage Sixteen.

My Turn:

Current Title:

Heirs of Five

Alternative Titles:

Her Queenship- Five princesses and sisters each want the crown and throne to their queendom but they have to fight for it even if it means taking their own sister’s life.

The Girl Before the Crown- Five female commoners grow up and are selected to become princesses/daughters of the queen. Though only one of them is actually the true queen.

The Roar of a Lionheart- Five girls are the heir to a major royal dynasty. Well, at least one of them is the heir and because of this, she has to stand up and take charge.

I love the current title!

My turn:

Current Title:

Seer and Siren

Alternative Titles:

The Blood Crusade: Main character is forced into fighting a religious war against her own people.

False Deity: Both the main characters are put into the position to serve and protect a god they don’t believe in or follow, one by going to war and the other by working in the temple that worships them.

Blind Faith: One character follows what she is told blindly though its ironic because she is a seer, and the other follows a fate set out for her without realizing it is happening to her.

I actually really like the current title. It gives me a good feel of the story already.

Currently title: To Believe in Peter Pan

Alternative titles:

A Broken Neverland The leader of Neverland is not running it the way it should be, thus it’s broken. The kids all end up there because if their broken homes.

A Taste of Evil The MC is fighting her dark side as she tried to survive living under Pan’s ruling.

A Lost Boy and His Prey Pan spends a lot of his time trying to make Lili miserable on his island while he tries to also convert her to the dark side.

I like your current title but i like A Broken Neverland more
Current title:
The light in a sea of lies
alternate:
the dark side of the mirror about mirror demons
any other I come up with

I really like “Dark Side of the Mirror.”

Current title: The Greatest Obsession

Alternative titles:

1. Gentlemen Do Not Bleed - It’s historical LGBT vampire romance. My protagonist is an indecisive lying and cheating man-child who can’t handle the consequences of his actions. He also bleeds a lot in this story, thus, he is not a gentleman. (Will actually be the next title once I start draft two)
  2. The Craving - Cliche lol but so is the actual title, but the protagonist developes a drug level addiction to being bitten, it’s like getting flu x5 and really amphs sex-drive, oh no.
  3. What We Do is Sinful - Drives home the religious and sexual themes of the novel, between the premarital intercourse of Elijah and Irina, to the forbidden LGBT affair of Elijah and Haydn.

I really like your current title but ‘The Craving’ also sounds really intriguing.

Current Title: Safe Place

Alternative:

1. Safe Haven: Basically about a girl who was moved to multiple countries because of her mother. Now in Australia she is certain that her mother is going to pull another stunt and they are going to have to move again. This title shows the main goal she has in mind which is to find her safe haven.
  2. French Kisses: This title pulls out the more romantic side of the book. The main character is actually half French and this ties in with her really well

Safe Haven has a nice ring.

I like your current title but I love the flow of ‘Safe Haven’. They’re all great options though and I can see how they’d work for your story!

Current title: I Control You, Citizen.

Alternative titles:

1. The Control Series: Citizen. The society in my world is very controlled, and your status in the city means everything. The MC is just a citizen, meaning everything in her life is highly controlled, but the next book is set in a different place where she is an outsider, so that book title would be The Control Series: Outsider (or something similar). I think it would work as it follows a pattern of emphasising her place in the world.

2. Arabel. The name of the only remaining city (as far as my characters know in the beginning). To them it’s all there is, their entire world. The next book would follow a similar pattern of having a place as its title.

I couldn’t actually think of a third sorry! x

I have to say I love Arabel the most, it sounds intriguing.

Current Title: Beauty Is In The Clouds

Alternative Titles:

1. Aernford Mysteries: In The Sea

Its set in made-up town called Aernford, its mystery/thriller and there are supernatural creatures in the water.

1. Drowning In Revenge Plots

Lots of the characters - nearly all of them vow revenge over one another (its a big part of the plot)

1. Cloudy Skies Above Us

Links to my current title - the skies are cloudy which signifies the storm that has come. I wanted something cloud related.

I like alternate title #1 if you’re going to do a series.

For some reason I kept thinking “Clouds Above, Death Below” when I read all of the options collectively.

Here’s mine -

Current Title: Try-State Area

MC lives with Mom in Brooklyn, visits father in NJ and wants to go to college in Connecticut, so NY-NJ-CT is the literal tri-state area. Plus, she’s a teenager and so basically her entire state of being is trying things out and trying to figure out how she fits into the world around her.

Other options…

All-Girls and Some Boys -
The MC goes to an all-girl private school but then is tempted to move to her Dad’s and attend public school by her involvement with two boys.

Missing the Bus -
Novel starts with missing the bus. It’s also a story about needing to make decisions that will alter your future path and trying not to mess it up or “miss the bus” figuratively.

Music, Meltdowns and Making Wishes -
MC uses music as a coping mechanism to deal with anxiety (panic attacks and meltdowns) and the story ends the day after her birthday.

Personally I think your original title has the nicest ring to it and probably fits the story best (based on your description of it). It’s a nice play on words. The other titles are good but I don’t think they’re as intriguing as the original. It really depends on which on you think fits the story best though!

Current title: I Control You, Citizen.

Alternative titles:

1. The Control Series: Citizen.

The society in my world is very controlled, and your status in the city means everything. The MC is just a citizen, meaning everything in her life is highly controlled, but the next book is set in a different place where she is an outsider, so that book title would be The Control Series: Outsider (or something similar). I think it would work as it follows a pattern of emphasising her place in the world.

1. The Control Series: Arabel.

The name of the only remaining city (as far as my characters know in the beginning). To them it’s all there is, their entire world. The next book would follow a similar pattern of having a place as its title.

1. The Citizen Series: I Control You.

I like “The Control Series: Arabel.” because I feel like it just jumps off the page at you. I’d pick up that book just to understand the title honestly.

Current title: Smile Parallax

A prostitute and amputee is pursued by the interdimensional mafia that took his arm. His attempts to escape take him across time, space, and across many different realms.

Alternate title 1: Smile!
While this is still the tag line and was the original title of the series, it’s difficult to register since too many brands use the same thing and it’s impossible to Google, making it a bad choice. I do like how absolutely backwards it is to the tone of a horror sci-fi story with lots of drugs and drama. I chose it initially for the fact the main character is the frowniest character but the prostitutes are all made to wear smiley face stickers to make them stand out in a crowd.

Alternate title 2: Smile Percyane
Percy’s love interest is named Cyane. I can’t really justify it any better than that tbh.

Alternate title 3: Caution, danger, Smile!
Another tagline for the series, and even on some of the posters. Though I also feel it’s a bit too on the nose?