Alternative Sites to Wattpad

question
discussion

I’ve been wanting to join other publishing sites, but I’m not sure which ones. I would like something similar to Wattpad in terms of popularity and being easy to use. I’ve heard of Tapas, Webnovel and Inkitt, but I don’t know if they allow fanfiction or what their audience likes. If you guys use an alternative site, which ones would you recommend?

5 Likes

This is the equivalent of going to Wendys and asking for a Big Mac

23 Likes

Lmao this killed me :joy:

I’ve used Sweek and Tablo before, but neither has the user base or engagement of Wattpad. I’ve heard of some people having more success on Sweek. Ymmv.

6 Likes

:no_mouth::no_mouth: I mean, I see your point. But that doesn’t really apply to me.

4 Likes

Hm, I’ve never heard of those.
But yeah, I would like a site that has a big user engagement or base.

2 Likes

I am not sure if you want to actually “publish” your work, as in make money from it, but you’re not going to get far with publishing fanfiction for money. That crosses a big legal line.

However, for fanfiction, there is Archive of Our Own and Fanfiction.net to look at! You post for free. I think they just have different audiences that vary from site to site

5 Likes

Oh, no. I don’t mean to publish it. I guess what I meant to say was is there an audience for fanfiction on those sites I mentioned.
I have published on fanfiction.net and have found more success there regarding reads. I also signed up for AO3, but it seems like the site might be difficult to use.

1 Like

AO3 is where the eyes are though! If I were writing fanfiction, that’s where I would focus my energy.

6 Likes

Cool! Then I’ll for sure post there. :grin:

1 Like

Does anyone use Tapas, Inkitt, or Webnovel? I’d like to hear about your experience there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You got it. You’re on it. If you scroll through the Industry Insider Club you will find various threads discussing Tapas and other sites and their pros and cons.

5 Likes

I use Tapas for reading - and there is no fanfiction there. It’s all original, so I’d recommend against you going there. Don’t know if it’s just that there are no fanfic writers or if it’s actually not allowed.

Tapas also has a forum and here’s a topic on fanfic: https://forums.tapas.io/t/fan-fiction-yes-or-no/7020 - it’s old but it still stands. I’ve been there since 2015 and I can’t remember ever seeing fanfic there.

4 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, WP is actually the biggest fanfic site available.

4 Likes

Yeah, as far as I know it has surpassed fanfic.net and AO3.

4 Likes

That… really sucks for the ones who just want to write free original fiction =/

5 Likes

Agreed… :pensive:

3 Likes

Oh, there is PLENTY of original stuff as well. I believe WP simply is the biggest publishing site, period.

6 Likes

This site will forever be known for its shitty 1D fanfics, though

6 Likes

I just figured that Wattpad wouldn’t be the only one.

1 Like