Amazing, obscure, unheard of mythologies!

Greek mythology’s overdone. Bits and pieces of Norse mythology are scattered all over the biblioverse. Has anyone heard of rare, lesser known mythologies? Any folktales, obscure creatures, etc. are included.
Anyone?

There’s Hindu. I feel like that isn’t talked about as much.

Egyptian is talked about sparingly.

There is Chinese and Japanese that are rarely discussed.

That is all I got and I do apologize if I wasn’t helpful.

1 Like

i know a crap ton of chinese mythology; hit me up if you want to hear some of them haha

1 Like

Ah… I won’t be having that problem.

Yeah, Egyptian gods are more distant… I guess that’s why.

I’ve been thinking about Chinese and Japanese too, but research is tedious.

Sure! That would be great!

1 Like

my favorite myth in Chinese mythology is the story of Chang’e; you can search it up for basic info there haha

2 Likes

Currently, my book is based off of mythology, mostly Aztec and Celtic, but I try to interwind some Norse, Greek, Egyptian, Native American, Japanese and Chinese.

1 Like

Is that the story about the five suns?

1 Like

African tribal folklore is hard to find in folklore collections. If it is, it’s the universal Cinderella story or a few Anansi tales.

1 Like

I have been trying to establish Filipino mythology, folk culture and environmental diversity for a year now, and the process has been crazy. :joy: There are so many mythical creatures on this side of the world, but nobody has ever heard of them, so I decided to put them in mine.

• Libulan: local moon god
  • Bunog: a phantom horse that appears on beaches during storms
  • Tayhu: large and silent creature with a horse’s head and legs, but a human torso
2 Likes

What does the Tayhu do? I mean, other than winning Halloween costume contests and scaring the occasional person.

Yes, I’m planning on including it in a future book.

1 Like

A diverse mixture!

nope; it’s somewhat related to that one about Hou Yi shooting down 9 out of 10 suns, but it’s a separate story.

Chang’e was Hou Yi’s wife, and if you’re interested in reading about both of those myths & seeing their connections, i recommend this book: https://www.wattpad.com/648080348-a-guide-to-mythology-i-hou-yi

it’s a guide to mythology that’s constantly expanding with different cultures, and i’m also a writer for that. i’m going to be writing a lot of Chinese mythology especially, and you can read about Hou Yi and Chang’e there.

1 Like

Aztec, Celtic, and Egyptian aren’t quite as commonplace

1 Like

Right? But Rick Riordan did a great job with Egyptian.

1 Like

HIT ME SISTER I’LL RETURN SOME HINDU MYTHOLOGY TO YOU HAHAH

2 Likes

Hey, do you know about that tale in the Mahabharata about Barbarika and Krishna? Reading it gave me the chills.

1 Like