Any Japanese culture lovers?

I’d like to make a thread to connect everybody who are fond of Japanese and perhaps related Eastern cultures in any aspect. It might be manga and anime too, but I’m looking forward to talk with you about your favorite cuisine, music, public fiigures, historical periods, movies, books, popculture and traditional culture, since I couldn’t find such a topic around here.

Please share your favorites, it’s a thread to get connected and friendly, so I’d rather avoid serious conversation about controversial stuff.

Best regards to you, with love.

I love Japanese Culture Like Anime from Sailor Moon To Black Butler!

3 Likes

OMG! I LOVEEEE Black Butler. “I am one hell of a butler” :grinning:

3 Likes

:smiley:

2 Likes

I come from Japanese decent, but live in America and am like third or fourth generation. So I feel sort of divorced from my culture but influenced by it all at once. For example, I don’t speak Japanese but I do have traditional Japanese New Years food. I don’t watch anime

1 Like

OMG! Don’t watch anime? Japanese anime is the best in the world. Always original, always innovative. Another favorite of mine is Kenichi, the world’s greatest disciple.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. What is something you like about Kenichi?

It was about this mild manner young man who through a lot of mishaps and misunderstanding starts to learn different fighting skills from six experts in the fields. Show Summary

EDIT

History’s Strongest Disciple Kenichi Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi - Shounen, Action, Ecchi, Comedy (May contain bloody violence, bad language, adult themes and nudity) … Kenichi Shirahama is an average 15-year-old weakling that gets bullied and beaten up on a daily occurrence. Everyday that is, until he meets the beautiful Miu Furinji. Miu welcomes Kenichi into her dojo to learn from some of the greatest martial artists in the world, so that he can stand on his own

I’ve watched several times…love it

2 Likes

I love exotic art and when I was young I was obsessed with anything Asian. One of my stories is set in Japan and two things I always look out for at flea markets is geisha doll and an authentic kimono. When I was reading my story to a family friend, the terms were so over her head it was funny! I even had a glossary in there!

2 Likes

Japan is very commercialized, so its popular. I mean they are culturally very adapted to promoting a very diverse range of features, more so than most cultures. Its like advertising is imbued in their tradition, very subtly. Advertising meets beautifully developed, articulated and defined oriental culture meets vastly diverse consumerism. I wonder why their economy is doing badly. I think no other culture promotes their traditional culture as much as them, through new ageism.

1 Like

My 15 year old daughter is SO into the Japanese culture. She reads about it and uses duolingo to learn the language. She dressed as Hasunumiku (?) last year and another character this year. She wants to study in Japan.

4 Likes

Dude, I pressured Duolingo for two years to include Japanese (and created a thread) and finally it was kickstarted and they sent an email and said “thank you for kickstarting this idea!”

I was like “Well I know Kanji now, but glad I could push you guys XD”

2 Likes

My great-grandpa was stationed in Japan after WW2 and they adopted a Japanese kid (my great uncle). Since then, I’ve been obsessed with the culture, especially since my grandma is still very into it from growing up there (kimono to weddings, remembers the language, does art, etc) although her adopted brother passed awhile ago.

Obviously, I’m obsessed with anime and just the prettiness of the art. All of it. I feel like the whole country is an aesthetic dream. Except for the killer hornets. But I plan on moving there after I graduate (and possibly before on a work-study program) but yup. Been my dream since I was 12 and started studying Kanji.

My grandma makes a black tea from there that tastes almost chocolate-y (I imagine it’s the tea that Levi Ackerman drinks lol) but she leaves it in the sun all day to steep. Some of her school friends in Japan taught her that method, they called it Sun tea, and we make our Chocolate Mint the same way.

I also have a pendant from Japan that she got as a gift from one of her school friends, that says a proverb about hope in Japanese (she gave it to me because I’m the only grandkid that has any interest in Japan. They also lived in Germany and England and everyone else cares more about that culture in my fam XD).

4 Likes

i love japanese people! i love their culture and everything!

2 Likes

by the way im a blasian lol

2 Likes

My cousin always has crushes on Blasian people (and they’re uncommon around here so he like nosebleeds immediately lol) I’m like down boy xD But tbh there’s not many Asian people at all where I live, except a local university, so when one would walk into McDonalds where I worked, I’d immediately crush no matter what, thinking of all the ways we could cosplay together.

I know, I’m terrible XD

2 Likes

haha lol, nah you’re good :upside_down_face:

1 Like

one of my favorite japanese actors is Jet Li, have anyone heard of him?

2 Likes

Jet Li is Chinese, though.

ik lol i wish though :joy: