Any Japanese culture lovers?

Oh, hell yes! Besides anime and manga, I love the art styles of the old Japanese print makers, especially those of Yoshitoshi and Hiroshige. I think their styles, especially that of Yoshitoshi, gave rise to the Art Nouveau of the West. I’m also interested in Japanese urban legends and hyakumonogatari kaidankai (100 ghost stories) and Japanese poetic traditions like haiku and tanka.

3 Likes

they did, plus a lot of other styles too (like they influenced the impressionists and Van Gogh super heavily)

1 Like

She saw Hatsune Miku last summer in LA at a vocaloid concert! I had never heard of it before. She REALLY wanted to take Japanese for credits in HS, but there is none nearby, so she learns on her own.

2 Likes

In high school we have to carve our own print making and mine was inspired by Japanese printmaking. (it’s terrible sorry lol)

2 Likes

One of my favorite things about Japanese culture are the Yokai. I love learning about each one; I may even incorporate them into a story one day.

Yep, they did. When I was younger, I used to spend hours looking at Yoshitoshi’s 100 Aspects of the Moon and 36 New Forms of Ghosts. I don’t think I’m too obsessed, hopefully.

1 Like

other two I did with the same stamp.

1 Like

appreciating art is healthy imo

1 Like

Dude, that’s so cool! I wish I did that in high school.

1 Like

Thanks <3 Our school has like no budget so they let our teacher do whatever. She did a lot of Asian culture stuff. It was awesome! I felt like I had a lot of diverse stuff compared to other kids I’m attending university with who took art in High School and had a curriculum.

1 Like

Lucky!

1 Like

I’m trying to remember these dolls we studied that supposedly held a spirit and all I can think of is those things that go inside of each other but that’s not it but when I search, it just brings up the Luk doll that is a dead fetus, and it’s not that. It’s like a genre/style of dolls lol.

1 Like

I’m not sure, but it sounds like those Daruma dolls. The other ones sound like Russian stacking dolls.

1 Like

Oh my god yes! thank you! It’s Daruma dolls. Like I remember it looking like the stacking dolls somewhat but it wasn’t those. I’ve been searching for two years XD

1 Like

I have one of those; you’re suppose to paint in their pupils when a wish comes true.

1 Like

You’re welcome! Glad I could help!

1 Like

I thought you were supposed to burn them but it’s been so long since we’ve studied them.

Maybe. I don’t wanna burn mine though; it’s part of my collection of Japanese stuff.

I love VOCALOIDS! Especially Gumi! And Luka! Ohmigosh, they’re so great.
I’ve made mash-up videos for Gumi’s ECHO, MONSTER,
Masked bitcH and It’s Been So Long.
I also have a mashup of Gumi and IA singing WAVE.
And one of Gumi and Miku singing Hibikase/Echo.

In my collection of short stories called Flashing Thomas Weekly, there are two chapters with the English translation to the lyrics for Poker Face and Masked bitcH, because the ones you find online are pretty far off in their translation.

My Episodic story called The VocaLords is a VOCALOID fanfic featuring Gumi and Miku. It also has k-pop boy band BIGBANG’s T.O.P. in it, and soon will also feature IA and G-Dragon.

Also, in my Spiritual Adventure entitled Dots the main female character is a woman from Japan, and the other prominent female character is a woman who was born in Japan but was brought to The United States by her parents when she was a baby.

Finally, in my Romance story entitled In SO Many WORDS, the man female character is a Japanese American, another is a Japanese immigrant, and a third character is Thai.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

same as my account here