Any Paranormal Writers Out There - Let's Talk!

Just wondering if anyone here writes Paranormal/Thriller books! What’s your favourite sub-genre of paranormal books? Ghosts? Strange, unexplainable monsters? Faeries?

3 Likes

Hello, Seth here! I’m so fascinated with the different ways paranormal stories can be written. Personally, I think ghosts are the easiest to get around, but the idea of like…blending all the paranormal sub-genres is a really appealing idea. I have no real preference - everything’s a good funky time. D’you have any personal favorites?

2 Likes

Seth is such a cool name haha - I’m Mak, and my personal favourite would probably be strange monsters. Things like the IT monster, or creatures from mythology that don’t really fit into the fantasy genre. I mix my paranormal stories with horror and thriller a lot :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you! I gotta say though, Mak sounds much cooler in my opinion :joy: I love strange monsters, especially ones that hit psychological chords like IT does. Mythology is also suuuuper interesting to read (and write) about. I’m currently writing a paranormal mixed with thriller (more like true crime, but it has its moments), but I could honestly use better pointers on how to properly write horror. What tricks do you use to add that horror element to your stories, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

Dang that’s a question. Also your book sounds a lot like mine - great minds think alike, I guess. For tricks; I read a lot of Stephen King and something I’ve learned is that if you can’t scare yourself out while writing, gross yourself out instead with a whole lot of gore. I think changing certain adjectives to something more sinister helps, also create a certain atmosphere throughout the story. When the atmosphere suddenly changes in a horror book after consistency it gives me the chills haha. I’m not sure what else - I’m hardly an expert :blush:

2 Likes

Those are all great tips, thanks! I’m a fan of atmosphere and loooove to play around with it, and honestly I’ve been backfalling on the gore aspect since I don’t know how to scare myself properly anymore :sweat_smile: It gets the job done, though

1 Like

Pretty much everything I write is paranormal. Low fantasy/intrusion* fantasy is my scene and I use a lot of cryptids and mythology in my work. I like that plausibility mixed with a sense of foreboding. I also enjoy things like mediums and psychics.

*corrected from invasion because I’m a derp.

1 Like

All great topics! I’m young so forgive me but uh what’s invasion fantasy? And cryptids?

Cryptids are things like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. Intrusion* fantasy is a genre where fantastical elements (monsters, magic, etc) are superimposed on the real world.

*I used the wrong word initially. I’m a bit brain dead at the moment.

2 Likes

Ah! I guess I always called that magical realism haha. Have you written a Bigfoot story, before?

I love cryptids! I plan on writing a story that features el chupacabra soon.

1 Like

That honestly sounds really good haha

1 Like

Thank you!
I’ve already written about vampires and it was such a great experience.

2 Likes

Shannon here! I’m a big fan of cryptids and urban legend stuff, especially the American ones that are just really out there. Old dinosaurs, bigfoot, aliens, lake monsters, black-eyed kids, Tailypo, the things in the Fearsome Critters stories, weird flesh monsters living in the sewers, whatever Indrid Cold is, etc.

But I also enjoy ripping Lovecraft’s universe out of his cold dead hands and rubbing my little queer hands on them.

Monsters as representations of the horrors and atrocities of humanity or even caused by them is also a good way of bringing them into the major themes and conflicts of paranormal and horror genres.

4 Likes

This is such an awesome answer haha. I love taking things like Lovecraft’s monsters and ruining them with my own characters as well :smiley: Are you currently writing anything?

I have never written a Bigfoot story, though a skunk ape hunt is mentioned briefly in one of my current works. I focus more on Goetic demons, vampires, Deer Women and similar legends, and mythological versions of the lycans that aren’t what typically appear in modern media.

1 Like

Howard, for all his creative genius, was a right bastard and 100% deserves to have his creations overtaken by everyone who isn’t a white dude of “good breeding.”

1 Like

I’ve been using elder gods for a Monsterhearts 2 game, which my players haven’t figured that bit out yet. I’ve got a roadtrip paranormal story going and one character is a kinda-elder god of my own design.

2 Likes

damn right

1 Like

Hello. ^-^/

2 Likes