Any Self-Published Authors Around? I need some advice.

Any Self-Published Authors Around? I need some advice.

Not sure I have the answers but I will try to help

1 Like

Thanks, I already asked another person, but would love to hear your imput. So I have this poetry collection on Wattpad that is ongoing and once it’s completed (a very long time from now lol) I want to publish it on Amazon. I asked if I was allowed to do that since it’s already been on Wattpad and from what I gathered I’d just have to delete it from Wattpad so I can earn money off of it on Amazon and everything will be cool. I want to publish it with KDP Select because I want to make money off of it and have it published in paper so people can buy an actual copy of it and also have an online option. I might be a little wrong on the last bit there, hopefully you can elaborate for me please. Thanks for your time and it’s fine if you can’t answer. Since I’m not sure if what I’m saying makes any sense lol.

You are making fine sense, no worries there.
KDP is where I am published, so I can actually touch on that one. lol
Basically, you pull all but 10% from wattpad. (Which if it is a poetry series I would almost just pull it all down. I know that in my case sci-fi stories I took them down completely and created my own website. That is off topic.)
In the terms of service it states i don’t recall in what section exactly that you can keep a small digital presence up to 10% for marketing purposes. HOWEVER, with KDP Select you CANNOT have a digital presence for sale anywhere other than on amazon. In print you can sell on as many publishing sites or out of your home all you want.

1 Like

I thought that with Amazon you can self-publish and have them make actual copies of the books? I’m choosing to self-publish because I really don’t like the idea of someone else changing the cover, title, and dictating what I can or not publish lol. And I’ve got advertisement down with Wattpad and maybe a Youtube channel in the future (sorry about the little rant there.)

And okay I’m fine with just completely hiding the poetry collection when the time comes to actually publish it! So there are no negative consequences for having my collection up on Wattpad beforehand?

(No worries. I rant all the time)
Right, so you can have them make actual copies of it. Which you set the price of and then people order them. Amazon takes a cut, you take a cut, and then go your marry way. AND you can buy up copies (up to 999 at a time) for the printing cost in order to hand out/ sell them from your home or where ever you want.
So, for example. My book HUMANITY NEVER CHANGES is sold as a paper back for $12.99 on amazon. Printing is $2.50, I get $5.00, and Amazon gets the rest. The Kindle edition sells for $2.99 and I get like $2.00 off that. If I want to go out to my local town/ book store and sell copies of the book. I buy them from amazon for $2.50 (price to print the book) then when they show up at my house I charge whatever I want for them and keep all profits.

1 Like

OH! and yeah, there is no issue at all with the story being here on wattpad prior to publishing.

1 Like

Now that’s cool, you don’t have to pay out of pocket to set up the account or sell print or digital copies and it’s a win win scenario for both you and Amazon! Thanks so much for the info, you have been very helpful. I’ll probably bother you some time in the future, but for now you have answered all my questions lol. Thanks again for your time, you really saved me from worrying!!

1 Like

No problem at all. Glad to be of help any time.

1 Like

Hey there

We have a club called Industry Insider where published authors hang out and help each other and I’ll go ahead and move this discussion there.

Thank you

Katherine - Community ambassador :katherinearlene:

1 Like

Yes, all this is doable. You’ll need to remove all but 10% from Wattpad (because SELECT requires exclusivity with Amazon). And they have a way you can use Print-on-Demand to make a printed copy of your book.

One thing I will caution though, is that poetry is a really tough gig to make any money on no matter what route you go thorugh to get it “out there.” So, if you don’t see huge sales numbers, it’s not necessarily a problem with your content, it’s just that the type of book you are producing is a “hard sell.”

1 Like

Thanks for the advice:)

Hello guys! I read your conversation as I also have a few questions about self-publishing and you really helped! I still have a question though; I still don’t fully understand what KDP Select is, what’s the difference between KDP Select and KDP? Thank you!

1 Like

As far as I know from remembering off the top of my head kdp select is being paid per page. Like if I read the first 10 pages I think with what @MichaelJSullivan said was like the money is counted as a book sale but I just joined this thread so if I’m not correct on this let me know. But there’s a catch to it you have to take the book off all of the sites you have your book on.

1 Like

And only being allowed to leave 10% from the book on other websites, yeah? I thought this applied to all kinds of publishing on Amazon and I have absolutely no problem with it. I somehow understood that KDP Select only allows you to sell your book on their website like you wouldn’t be able to give it to your local library or so. I hope I’m wrong xD

1 Like

Not libraries but like just in general like just NO WHERE ELSE. If it’s not select yes only the first 5-10% of the book but not with select.

1 Like

KDP = Kindle Direct Publishing. That’s your basic author account that enables you to upload and sell your book on Amazon. It automatically defaults to their global distribution channel unless you yourself restrict it to certain jurisdiction. There is no exclusivity requirement to be in the basic program, meaning you can distribute your ebook to sites like Apple, Kobo, and Nook. Royalties are only applicable to sales and the rate depends on your sale price. ($0.99 to $2.98 pays you 35% and anything above $2.99 pays 70%).

KDP Select: That is the Amazon program that requires you to be exclusive to Amazon, however, you are allowed to keep 10% on other internet websites. It’s the part of your book any Amazon shopper gets to see if they utilize the “Look Inside” feature. On top of sales royalty, Amazon customer who are part of the Kindle Unlimited program can also borrow your books and you get paid by page. Advertising tools such as Kindle Countdown Deals and Free Book Promotions are also available exclusively through that program. KDP Select periods run for 90 days and renew unless you choose to leave the program.

Print on Demand: That is the paperback division of Amazon (formerly known as CreateSpace). It allows customers to order your paperback, and Amazon then prints your books and sends it to them. There is NEVER any exclusivity for paperbacks. Even if you are in Kindle Select, you can distribute your paperbacks on other platforms, gift it to your local library, or convince your local bookstore to put it on display. The only restriction is something that calls an ISBN (universal identifier) – if you choose to go with the free one that Amazon provides, you need another ISBN number for each other platform you sell on.

If you decide to sell your ebook wide (not exclusive to Amazon), there are sites like Draft2Digital or Smashwords that facilitate listing your book on all the other popular sites (Apple, Nook, & Kobo among them). Of course you can also list on each site individually, but quite frankly, that’s a pain in the a$$.

1 Like

Oh ok I was mistaken because a few years ago someone said you can’t have your book on anywhere else if your book in kindle select… :open_mouth:

1 Like

As far as I know, the 10% hasn’t changed over the years. Maybe the person you spoke to meant the entire book v. a reading excerpt.

1 Like

Who knows…

1 Like