Anyone else trying to lose weight?

Just curious, I am trying to lose weight for health. As a result I have given up my 600 calorie cans of beer and trying to eat better. Anyone have any strategies to staying on track?

I can’t say I am, however I know motivation is big. Remember why you are doing what you are doing. Maybe set up mini goals along the way, that way they have you feel accomplished, and not like the goal is so far away.

Yeah. I am just curious. I am down two belt notches. I am just waiting to get my new credit card so I can order better fitting jeans. If I go down a size, I am hoping reducing my jeans will prevent me from going back up! Unfortunately, someone found out my number and began purchasing crap on amazon in a different country …

The hardest part I find is eating healthy and staying away from the bad stuff (beer and chips!)

Ya gotta find some kind of drink and food that’s healier but you like as well!

I definitely SHOULD work out, or at least do yoga, buuuuut I don’t, so I have love handles… :laughing:

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting, and I actually really like it. I get so into trying to eat the right thing that it gets overwhelming, and end up getting so hungry that I eat the wrong stuff. This way I fast for sixteen hours, eat regular/healthy food, go for a walk, and I’m done thinking about it. Sometimes, I do the one meal a day (omad), and I’m perfectly happy with that too. It’s not for everyone, but I did a lot of research and tried it, and it’s working for me. Good luck!

I am! I’m trying to cut down on salty/sugary foods as well as drinks and am also trying to get into the regular habit of using my elliptical machine.

I did a bit of research. If you are basically inactive, your body needs 10 calories per pound to maintain itself. You don’t want to go below this base number for your ideal weight. If you don’t eat enough, your body thinks it’s starving and will try to hoard calories.

So, the 2000 calorie diet referenced on most food labels will turn you into a 200 pound person without exercise to use up the extra calories.

If your reasonable goal is 150 pounds, you need a 1500 calorie diet. 120 pounds needs 1200 calories. Stay above 1000. You will lose some weight naturally counting calories. It isn’t as hard as it sounds, less processed food and not drinking your calories takes care of most of it.

Fiber. Fiber in your diet will help you feel full. Literally an apple does make a difference. Dried cranberries have a fair bit of fiber too. I often add them to cereal.

Water. When you are hungry or have the nibbles, drink water, or even tea. It’s what you add to tea/coffee that adds the calories. I usually do a cup or two of decaf green tea in the evening.

Protein. Protein builds muscles, so having protein in the morning becomes important. If you have a salad, add chicken.

Fat. It doesn’t have to be eliminated, merely limited. Go for 100 calories of your budget toward fat, whether it’s mayo, salad dressing, or a bowl of ice cream.

Side note: poop. Not a normal topic, but if you are eating right, it should come out smooth and easy, looking like a banana in size and length.

Seems like I’m always trying…

Once the hormones kicked in after menopause, I was screwed. It’s a constant battle.

OMG!!! Don’t say that!

I’ve never been what society would consider skinny–but I always did alright and could manage an “average” weight. But then 40 hit and I was like “WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?” It’s no joke when they say it gets harder as you get older to maintain your weight. NO JOKE. I used to just think people got lazy and let themselves go when they got older–but that’s not necessarily the case. Biology changes the rules of the game when you become more experienced at life! hahaha

Yeah, I didn’t change anything and the weight suddenly kept going up. I went from 140 to 160 rather gradually, then went up to 200 rather quickly. I’ve wavered since then between 170 and 200, depending on how focused I stay. I don’t like over 200, mostly because of how sluggish I feel and the acid reflux that’s suddenly become an issue.

I nodded through every sentence of your comment. I know all those numbers and side effects! :smiley:

Now I remember where I saw your name–you won the contest on the adult fiction site. Well done! :trophy:

I’ve actually lost 82 lbs since January. Not as much as I want, but I’m getting there.

With the help of one of my doctors I switched to the paleo diet. Although, I do the 80/20 rule. I did have to give up a lot of my favourite foods, but personally, it’s really made a difference. I would say however that if you could cut out one thing from your diet, I would get rid of dairy. (And just to be clear lactose-free is not the same thing as dairy-free). Luckily now, grocery stores usually have a lot of options which has been great for me.

This is what worked for me, it may not work for you, I just thought I would put this out here. I did this more for medical reasons, but it did help me lose some weight. I lost a lot of weight really quickly before it became something more steady.

See, I’m allergic to wheat and have hypoglycemia so I have to watch my diet very strictly. Although, I’m terrible at it. Only recently have I begun to actually look at the foods I eat and how much I eat. As a college student it’s hard to eat gluten free because the cafeteria doesn’t serve gluten free foods, so I have to make all my own meals, which is hard because I have to buy groceries off a work study paycheck. BUT I’m figuring it out. I have found that if I don’t eat on campus but in my dorm, I actually eat more food (which is good in my case, because I don’t eat a lot normally, maybe 700cal a day, which is not enough) and I eat healthier.

As far as exercising goes, I love running and weightlifting, but I have a hard time remaining consistent, so I recently started the BeachBodyonDemand program. So far I love it. It’s not for everyone, but if you have a hard time going to a gym, I highly recommend it.

I’ve successfully lost weight in the past, now I’m at my healthy weight. It’s mostly about what you eat and how much you eat. If you are not aware of how many calories are in your food, it’s good to look it up. Some stuff looks healthy but once you look closely at it, it’s full of calories. Also, focus on proteins and vegetables in every meal, and add extras as needed. Some people actually count their calories (CICO method), but I am not a fan of that because it’s not intuitive. I think doing a rough count is just fine, but if you’re struggling a lot you could try CICO.

I need to get back on the waggon, to be honest. On January 1st, I made a New Years Resolution to finally lose weight. By about May, I had lost nearly 30 pounds. It’s a lot, but nothing truly changed in appearance because I was 30 pounds less last year. When I started the weight loss journey, I was 310 pounds. In May—and even now, I maintain—283-285 pounds.

I haven’t been doing a whole lot and giving myself tons of excuses. It first started with moving and how we ate out. Then when we came out here, we didn’t have space for me to exercise (we live in an RV, so the only place was outside… which was fine and all, but I hate working out in public). Then we moved again, to get closer to my sister’s and my mom’s work, and now, I’ve just been like, “Nah.” Like I’m done. Honestly, I don’t want to be done because I do want to lose weight and be healthier, I just haven’t found the motivation through all the depression I’ve been going through.

Based on my past experiences with weight loss, however:

1. It’s a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Diets don’t work. It’s a reason why when you’re like, “I’m gonna eat less,” and when you do that, it doesn’t help and you eat more. In other news, you gain more. It would be best to get into the attitude to understand that it’s a lifestyle change. When you change your eating and exercising habits, you change it for good.

1. Focus on what you take in.

Losing weight is 80% what you eat and 20% excerising. While exercising helps, it won’t go far if you’re eating constant junk food and then exercising (or trying to exercise) it all off. It doesn’t work like that. So make sure the majority of what you eat is healthy for you and will help you lose weight.

1. You don’t have to count calories.

However, you don’t have to count calories or constantly eat healthy foods. You can “cheat” every once in a while. It just depends on if it goes into your 2,000 calorie deficit. But counting calories can work, just be careful to not be on a strict count. I recommend using the TDEE calculator to find out how much would be needed to maintain and cut, and your average weight should be.

1. Change it up.

When it comes to exercising, change your exercises and how long you do them for every few weeks. The longer you do an exercise, the more your body gets used to it. And because of that, your body won’t lose much from it. You need challenging exercises that push yourself further a little more.

1. Length doesn’t matter.

Overall, the duration of your exercise doesn’t matter as any sort of exercise helps. If you’re not capable of doing it for long, then that’s fine. Start off small and slow, then work your way up. Personally, I started this year walking up and down a hill for 10 minutes. Before we moved, I was able to do it for almost an hour.

1. It’s a journey.

Losing weight takes time, so remember that it’s just a journey. If you keep it up and keep challenging yourself, you will notice the changes. :wink: