Anyone here who writes for Inkitt?

Hello. I’ve been offered by Dreame and other writing sites before to write on their website. But it’s the first time that someone (Inkitt) has actually used my name to address me and not just, ‘Good day, Author!’. So it actually grabbed my interest…

Anyone here writes in Inkitt? How’s your experience?

Hey.
Did they contact you on wattpad?
Also has Dreame contacted you on wattpad too?

1 Like

Yes. Dreame offered me almost three times here on Wattpad and their other website which is for males? And yes, Inkitt contacted me here as well.

1 Like

Pls report the accounts to HQ.
It is against TOS to do that.

Thoughts on Inkitt you can find here

1 Like

Yes, I’ve reported the accounts. I’m planning to report this one as well but I want to know if their offer is feasible. Thanks!

1 Like

no problem. In the thread are also links to other threads about inkitt

1 Like

The short answer is that it’s a legit offer, but the contract sucks. The amount of payment isn’t worth it unless you have absolutely no plans to earn money with that piece any other way.

The one who makes the most money from Inkitt is Inkitt.

3 Likes

I think I ultimately decided not to use Inkitt, though not because Wattpad’s any better. I’m just increasingly less keen on putting my work out there besides my own website or youtube channel.

Especially sense eventually, I want to trade publish at TOR books or Harlequin.

Or my personal favorite: Torlequin.

1 Like

I always saw Inkitt as predatory because they rely on sites like Wattpad and Archive of Our Own to just spam anyone and everyone to see who they can sucker into publishing with them. I’ve seen them mistakenly contact non-writers telling them how much they love their books and asking them to write for them using the same form letter they sent me. They aren’t aiming for quality but quantity. I’ve never heard anything positive about them. Like others have said, you probably won’t see any money either.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like Dreame. Thought they are at least different. LOL. Dreame had offered me a cheap amount in exchange of putting my book on their site for five years.

3 Likes

I actually just got an email today from someone at Inkitt about The King’s Assassin. I’m still researching though. I’m in the boat of I’m not using it for anything why not?

As long as you aren’t planning to use it in the future, sure. Though, honestly, I’d rather find a better place to use it.

I haven’t really had any plans besides editing it eventually. Maybe adding more on.

1 Like

I would agree with that.

But what if you DO want to use it in the future? When you give away your rights for any particular period of time it should be with the expectation of being compensated for such. If you put your rights somewhere where you get little to nothing out of it…but you can’t reclaim and monetize those rights, then you may absolutely regret the decision.

I actually just got an email from them, they said I’d retain all rights to my story.

You might retain the rights, but fairly sure you’ll lose the first publishing rights that many publishers covet. So if you have any thought you might want to traditionally publish that book in the future, do not sign with Inkitt or Dreame or anyone like them. Nor should you self publish it. If you think there’s no chance you will ever want to traditionally publish, then by all means go for it (though I personally wouldn’t touch inkitt or dreame with a 10 foot poll. What they pay authors is a joke IMHO and I cannot stand their poaching tactics) just think very hard about what your future plans might hold before you decide anything. They are vultures for a reason. They prey on people who don’t think about if they’ll want to traditionally publish or not and get starry eye’d at someone offering them money for their book.

Make yourself a pros and cons list and then talk it out with others.

1 Like

Yeah…what Prism said.