anyone know great editors with reasonable rates?

trying to find a reasonable editor to work with but having a hard time to find one does anyone know of any?

1 Like

I know one.

What do you consider reasonable? I’m a copyeditor, and I charge $80 for every 10K words. I’ve worked on books for several published authors and can do a small sample for you.

Can I see your site that talks about your work? just curious is all.

It’s being set up now. Most of my clientele comes from the hundreds of authors I have on Facebook. They tend to just message me or come through a referral, so I haven’t had the need to have a site until now (I’m starting a publishing company and figured I might as well include the editing services on the site).

cool it’s just what I meant by “Reasonable” is under $500, I’m on a tight budget so I’m trying to find a way to stay away from editors that charge too much like my book’s a little over 75K words.

Under $500 isn’t “reasonable” for 75K, though. Editing is tedious, time-consuming work. A lot goes into it. I’d normally charge $600 for that, but I don’t mind working with people. You want to stay under $500, but if you can do an even $500 (half up front and the other half right before I deliver), I’ll lower the price for you, but it’d take a few weeks to get done. If not, good luck in your search, but remember that you get what you pay for, and even what I charge is pretty low.

3 Likes

I’ll pay it just PM me and we can work out on when I can pay after I take more “Minor” errors then I’ll pay first and then we can get started? What are your thoughts on this idea?

PM sent.

Could you tell me more? As you’ve probably seen me say more around here, I’m an aspiring editor. What qualifications do you have, and when did you decide you were good enough to charge real money? How did you decide your rates? Have your rates changed over time? How did you build your clientele on Facebook?

My qualifications are mostly just me having a great grasp of the English language. It’s always been my strong point. I’ve been editing professionally since I was about 17, and I got my first client because I said something on Facebook about how poorly edited a lot of novels are and the person asked me to go over their book. I started out charging real money, but nowhere near enough (I still don’t).

At first, I just wanted some pocket money, so I was editing novels for a flat rate of $100 (and why wouldn’t anyone take advantage of a teenager that way)? I just started charging a lot more. As far as building clientele goes, word of mouth does a lot, and whenever someone mentions needing an editor, I try to be one of the first people on the post. Other creative friends refer people to me, too.

1 Like

I think I may end up being a lot like you… although I have one single qualification I hold onto like it’s some holy artifact. How do you do payments? Through PayPal?

And $100 for a book of any length is… dangerously low. Was it worth it?

Nope. There were some books that literally made me cry while I was working on them because they were such hard edits and I regretted charging so little.

And people will respond to how you present yourself. If your one qualification makes you good enough, that’s all that matters. And yes, I usually use PayPal, but I’m gonna start sending invoices through Wave because I want to keep all my business finances separate and accounted for.

1 Like

Seems like I’ll have to find out how to use PayPal sooner rather than later. Oh boy.

My dad says it’s a great qualification (an A on the Cambridge Advanced Exam), but I can’t find proof of it anywhere, and that puts me on edge. We’ll see if they find it worthy.

Did you just post it on your personal use facebook? Or do you have a separate facebook for it? Also, do you only take specific genres, fiction, non fiction, or all of it? Are there some things you refuse to edit?

And I’m sorry for grilling you out of the blue, by the way. If I’m making you uncomfortable, just tell me.

My ACT scores were a 35/36 for both reading and English, and I’ve been writing for over half of my life. I was able to test out of both college English/writing requirements. I know words, and that’s all the clients need to know, lol.

I use my personal Facebook, but I really shouldn’t. I’m creating a website for my publishing company, and then I’ll make a Facebook page and advertise through there. I primarily do urban fiction, teen fiction, and fantasy, but I’m open to all fiction except hard sci-fi and military stuff. Actually, I would probably turn down werewolf stuff too just because I’d be super bored. I’ve done some non-fiction too. Mostly self-help books and industry-specific guides. I wouldn’t do anything that requires specific knowledge (medical, law, etc.).

1 Like

That makes sense… I’d probably focus heavily on fantasy, sci-fi, werewolf, and vampire. There’s no way I could do urban fiction, being a white european girl living in a countryside village with next to no foreigners - let alone PoC ones. It’s good to know you can specialize and don’t have to accept everything.
(The werewolf thing is a little ouch, though, being a diehard werewolf writer. But fair enough, preferences)

Would creating an entirely new facebook work? One would have no connections to begin with. After the first client, I’d have the money to set up a site. Actually, what site are you going after? Completely self-hosted, with separate domain and everything, or those premade hosting sites?

I’m using Squarespace for hosting. If you’re a student, they have a half-off discount for the first year (at least in the USA).

The more you can specialize while leaving yourself open yet acknowledging your limits, the better. I started off doing just urban fiction, but as my clients branched out to other genres, they asked me to edit those too. Creating a new Facebook COULD work, but it would be hard to build a friends list that you’d be able to convert into clients. Just make a page, not a new profile. Also, your personal profile (assuming you only have one) should be at least 20% writers if you want to edit. Surround yourself with those who need your service.

Ah, I’m a drop-out, sadly. No fancy papers here, except for the only one I mentioned. I may look at them, though.

My facebook is 50% family, 50% people from LARP. None are writers, and none are English-speaking. That’s mainly why I asked, since no one I have connection to right now would need my service. Would a twitter work, since you get to use hashtags there? I only follow Wattpad writers over there.

It’s approaching one in the morning, though. Thank you for your patience and your answers. I really appreciate it.

Eh, that’s okay. I’m getting a business degree, so even that credential won’t mean anything in this field.

In that case, yes. Make a new Facebook and only add authors. Use Twitter along with that. They tend to be separate audiences.

No problem.

1 Like