Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

And to all people of good will, peace.

Peace and a decent meal. Which I’m cooking at the moment.

What more could one want?

(P’raps a drop of whiskey and a glass of wine. )

nice,

I’ll see you, and raise you a glass of whiskey, half a bottle of wine, a glass of port and two glasses of gin!

Not all at the same time, of course.

Even taken in succession this is quite a glassfull. We travelled to the Algarve yesterday, salmon and veg in the suitcase, bubbly bought at airport. Lovely. A great season to all of you

A happy season to all of you, wherever in the world you are!

That covered me from cooking Christmas dinner to eating Christmas tea. I wouldn’t be able to drink that much in a single sitting these days.

Me neither. If i try, I pay for it. A lot. :rofl:

50 Ways to Love Your Liver?

Get ready to celebrate the New Year. Thanksgiving and Christmas have been done fabulously by the staff here, so far - I’m looking forward to what they do on the Eve.

Happy Christmas to you all. We had a proper Irish Christmas dinner followed by the best lemon meringue pie I’ve ever made, all enjoyed by 1 Canadian, 3 Americans, and 3 Irish peeps . :smiley: May you all finish your leftovers without barfing by the sixth turkey sandwich.

I’m curious, being Irish by blood but not by experience, what constitutes a “proper Irish Christmas dinner.”

You mention turkey, which I don’t think of as Irish. Goose, p’raps, for the quality.

I cooked a modest lean ham, from Canada. Scalloped potatoes, with some buttermilk in the sauce. Green beans. Sliced ripe tomatoes from the greenhouse. A chilled bottle of Muller-Thurgau from a feminist dog-friendly winery in Oregon. Nothing to excess.

I don’t know what @IrishSally has for hers, but Christmas Day for me was:

• Breakfast: smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, Buck’s Fizz

• While cooking: two glasses of pink gin.

• Dinner: onion soup; turkey, bacon, chippolatas, roast potatoes, roast parsnip, roast carrots, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, steamed sprouts, braised red cabbage, gravy, cranberry sauce; Christmas pudding, brandy butter; half a bottle of hock.

• Tea: scavenger’s buffet (leftovers), pork pie, cheeses, mince pies, cake; port and whiskey.

And by the standards of my family back in Down, I’m not a drinker. Besides, I have to pace myself when I’m with the in-laws. They’re Mancunian Methodists who have signed the pledge.

Can you please explain on the Mancunian Methodists and the pledge? I’m not sure that I follow you.

It wasn’t totally proper, but if I was to have done it according to family tradition

morning Christmas drinkipoos for three hours with friends - open door policy - with mince pies, smoked salmon on brown bread, cocktail sausages, and whatever snacks and bottles people bring.

DINNER
start with half a grapefruit
then move on to roast potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots, celery, gravy, slices of bacon, ham, turkey, cranberry sauce, bread sauce, stuffing
dessert would be Christmas pudding

Later on we’d do the same scavengers’ buffet (love that naming!) plus Christmas cake.

I don’t bother making Christmas pudding or cake anymore - no one likes that much fruit in this house, but growing up we’d cut ourselves a thick slice of pudding for days after and fry it in butter and eat with whipped cream. Divine.

Methodists are one of the sects of Protestant Christianity. Originally founded by John Wesley in the 18th century, they are quite strong in the northwest of England and in Wales. One of the things they ask followers to do (but do not insist on) is that they ‘sign the pledge’, that is become teetotal.

Being from Manchester, my late wife’s parents are rather devout Methodists, but didn’t sign the pledge until a few years ago when they both went on the ‘Alpha Course’, which is a course for people wishing to renew their faith.

If I was back in Ireland with my family there, we’d have been going from house to house, bringing the bottles!

Never leave a glass unfilled!

In the North of Ireland, do they dress up in rags and go from house to house for Lá an Dreoilín/ St. Stephen’s Day? It’s pretty wild in Dingle Town.

Not in the part I came from. Maybe in the farming communities further to the west?