Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

She went after the alpacas yesterday, like nothing had ever happened. She’s pretty game. And if she were off herding horses forever, I’d still keep her.

I laughed at Boderline Collie - they can get nuts. We’re lucky she’s so quietly controlling. She’s got to have her long collie nose everywhere, into everything, but she’s not a barker.

I watched our friend’s dog herd the kids at birthday party. It was funny watching and having to explain to someone what the dog was doing.:smile:

Ah - but they’re good for that. Endless hours of amusement - and sometimes the children like it as well.

I get the cold nose in the back of the knee all the time. LOL To watch her take a go at the alpacas is quite a sight. But she’s not trained, she’s just game and smart.

WattPad is good for that sort of messing about. I’ve also published quite a lot and earned a living with my written work. But, while I love writing, I didn’t like the business of writing, or self-promotion.

I returned to school for a science degree, and love the outdoor work, which pays a bit better.

WattPad lets me go on writing and posting my work as a gift to readers, without all the aggravation and stress.

Welcome.

We grownups do emotions really well - we’ve usually had more of them.

Welcome.

No expectations here.

But it IS hard to find adult READERS to go with our for-adults writing. Hope you like to read, too.

I’m 69. That’s probably more ancient, though, again, no expectations. And no one checks up on you, either way.

Older can be better. When I visited friends in New Zealand, it struck me that the average age of the ones I like best is about 70. The oldest, the yachtie who took me on several cruises, a British Marine in WWII, is 95. He just had heart surgery and will likely make 100.

I do have good mates from school, but they’re either away from NZ or wrapped up in their jobs and young families, so our visits tend to be brief and frequently interrupted. The older folks have the knack of relaxing and conversing. (They can also afford better wine.)

Mum will be 63 next month. Here’s a shot of her starting a walk with Kapa. He runs like a madman—she’ll walk a mile and he’ll cover three or four.

Now you’ll be forever etched in stone. :slight_smile:

Welcome

Very important

When I stayed with them, Malcolm, the yachtie who was practically my godfather, dug out a couple bottles of an amazing wine, that he’d carried home from a trip to Italy–

I tried to find it in NZ– no luck– and have so far failed in the 'States as well. It’ll probably take an independent exporter, which I’m not sure I can afford right now. It is available in the UK, I think.

Update: I did find a UK exporter that will ship to the 'States, but need to check my budget first.

Update on the update: Tannico, in the UK, can get it and will ship free to the 'States for an order over £150. So I went for it. There’s a review here:

https://www.callmewine.com/en/primitivo-maccone-angiuli-2016-P8193.htm

I know that ZonderZorg is keen on good wine. Anyone else?

10” of snow fell here yesterday :snowflake::snowflake:I’m hoping it forces me to get some writing done, but the procrastinator in me is thinking a :snowman: snowwoman would look nice on my font yard.

My tastes in wine are very pedestrian. I like hock, or a nice Piesporter - both very unfashionable wines. Primitivo is very nice though. It’s the same grape as Zinfandel, or so I’m led to believe. The problem with primitivo is that it never tastes the same twice. I can never be sure whether I’m getting a good one or a bad one.

My standard for wine is how much I like it. I really like the Maccone primitivo. If you can find some, try it: it’s a good benchmark. It matches perfectly with a lot of my cooking. There are several California zinfandels that I like almost as much, including some that are inexpensive, but consistently drinkable, like Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel.

Where I’m lost is with Bordeaux. I’ve been served wine that was costly and said to be excellent, and I felt like spitting it out. I don’t feel like risking a lot of money on a wine that could be rather awful. I’ve also tasted vertical selections (same wine from different vintages) that varied a lot.

Ten inches? Nice. We could use the moisture. Here it’s been cold, but the big snowstorms have missed us.

Our snow is mostly 10-20% water, good for skiing but bad for snowmen.

California is getting some nice rain - gentle, soaking, and long. So a few days are grey?

If I don’t show up much here lately, it’s because I’m back to writing seriously - after the cross-country move - and blocking the internet for 4-5 hours at a time (out of which I’ll actually use maybe 1/3, between time spent on naps and meals and interruptions), and making progress. The second volume of the trilogy has waited too long.

Glad to hear that you’ve settled in and are keen on your writing, with an actual project in mind.

I have three potential pieces I’d like to write, and can’t decide. None of them has swept me away, yet.

Mum’s condition has improved to the point where I might be able to do some fieldwork this coming summer. When I had to move in, she couldn’t sleep and could hardly walk (spinal stenosis) and couldn’t use her right arm at all (torn and inflamed rotator cuff). Her combined arthritis and lupus were really wracking her strength and ability to do basic stuff, like picking up a mug of coffee or open a jar.

She had a laminectomy for the spinal problem and has had two rotator cuff surgeries, which have helped: she can drive and use her right arm somewhat. She’s also worked hard with physical therapy and exercise. The biggest obstacle might be her anxiety at being alone so far from help, which I share.

I’m going to try to line up local support for her, and strategic family visits. If I don’t do the work for which I prepared, and love, I’m not sure how long I can take it here.

Glad you’re forming a plan of sorts, and delighted to hear she’s a bit more independent. From what I’ve seen in my nursing days, women find they can do a lot more than they thought, once left to fend for themselves. The only sad thing about leaving would be that most of your plants would die.