Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

Thanks Nab. I read far more than I comment. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It’s a fear we all have - that we’ll end up inheriting some condition that will affect our lives. And it’s natural to feel miserable when confronted with a vision of mortality.

That’s an occupational hazard. But if you were after writing something disturbing, it’s good to know you succeeded.

Her mattress is one of those Sleep Number air beds with variable softness and angle adjustment at the head and knees– it’s really comfortable. Her arthritic joints are sensitive to pressure and she would roll and turn all night, mostly awake, so I got her to try one and she bought it. You should give it a go.

What’s a drabble? I’ve read Margaret Drabble. Any relation?

Hello everyone, it’s Caspar the friendly ghost (well not quite, but being Scottish I am sufficiently pale) I intend to be a bit more present, as I’m finding a tendency to self-isolate whilst I write. We’re not talking Howard Hughes, and my fingernails are well in check.

@EmmaKatSpector sorry to hear your mum is having such an awful time. Though I do have some experience with relative, I can’t add more than @ABEhrhardt . All the best, and do self medicate with aplomb! Also I’m returning to my read through of your story, which I was enjoying greatly before the Christmas shenanigans.

@ABEhrhardt thanks for being a friend on Wordpress, tis appreciated. I’m shocked to hear you got banned from a site for writing something disturbing. I mean it’s fiction, and genres have expectations surely!

As to me, well I’m busy trying to prioritise writing projects, and to stop being a ruddy creative grasshopper!

Nice to have you back. Hope the story works for you. Once they’re published, I tend to ignore them.

I’ve got a couple ideas still below critical mass: a dystopian tale set in a remote Russian village that’s overwhelmed by blowing sand, and a mystery thriller set on Skellig Michael, a seamount off the Kerry coast. Bought a stack of used books on the latter and am stoking the creative fires.

A drabble is a 100 word story. I have two kinds, dark and regular, on my profile. It’s good experience fitting a whole story into such a small package.

I think we’ll just buy a new conventional mattress. Too many negatives on the mattress-in-a-box ones - that they fail much sooner, get grooves where you get stuck,… I had one in my office for when I took naps - it was too hard.

It is much too hard to try things - I just want it to happen without me spending a lifetime of writing time on stupidities. I’m slow enough already.

This is the one that got me banned.

https://www.wattpad.com/305225628-dark-drabbles-author-of-expired-options

It was NOT aimed at anyone, including her, but just points out the garbage writers have to put up with.

Not all writers take that drastic a solution, though.

I think it’s got a wonderfully dark humour. The onl6 people who could be offended would be those offering the aforementioned services.

I’m gobsmacked! I thought they just sold marketing stuff - newsletter placement, etc.

I should go look. If they have other services, they obviously don’t have the capacity to laugh at themselves.

Nope. Just a few pre-made covers. Oh, well.

I need to figure out how to sell mainstream fiction in the UK and Canada, other than Amazon.

And they will happily send a newsletter out with your book offered for free.

I’m not doing free for PC. Not my thing. It works for indies with series - and a lot of books in them.

If you’re in California, there’s probably a SleepNumber store not far off. It’s worth trying their mattresses before you buy a conventional one. When Mum’s gone, I sleep in her bed upstairs and there’s a big difference. I don’t wake up to turn over or shift around, so I get more deep sleep.

They send installers with the mattress and frame sets, so you don’t have to do the unpacking and setup.

I asked Ximera Grey, a WP regular who’s pretty savvy on the publishing world, about good spots for self-publishing and hosting e-books. She thinks that Amazon is pretty much the only practical means, which discourages me. I looked into Patreon, but you need heaps of reader/patrons to generate even a modest income. Medium doesn’t seem very oriented to fiction, plus there’s no payment.

I’m 49 and also I write mature characters. No newbie adults for me. Characters have growth throughout their lives, new experiences, new learning about themselves and others, all the time. Just don’t act all juvenile about it.

The question is if it’s adjustable separately - and whether there’s an uncomfortable middle zone - that would be a major problem. But I can ask. Thanks.

And they probably remove the old one, too.

Have you looked into going direct to Kobo Writing Life? Or Draft2Digital?

Welcome. Is mature a matter of age or behaviour?

This site is infested with chatty teens who describe themselves as bored, struggling, etc. But there are a few havens for older writers who are smart enough not to struggle or be bored most of the time.

I started my Patreon (which I hope will eventually have many more fans) because I wanted an outlet for those who, for whatever reason, want more of the backstory and are curious about my writing methods.

It gives me a place to blather on - to put out some of the thousands and thousands of extra words I produce around each scene - for those who might like to read them.

Some people are content to buy music/stream it; others buy concert tickets and merchandise; others want the whole backstage pass experience.

Each kind of fan may be a different source of revenue. And as a very slow writer of published work, this is all I have to give in between books, and I have a lot of it.

I agree; I think people who are past the basics of how to run their lives are more interesting.

Not looking for wider, non-Amazon distribution (not yet, anyway). But I’d like to advertise in the UK and Canada, as I have readers in both places who like my book, and would like to attract more of those educated literate readers.

I’m exhausted a lot, but never bored.

My beta reader is an amazingly mature young woman I discovered on a writing site - she’s younger than my youngest daughter, who is 27.