Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

I have some sales in the UK, Australia and Canada.

Not sure how to get advertising there. Once upon a time, there were websites for Kindle Readers. That was a decade ago.

On the New Zealand visit, I cooked a Med-style red-sauce dish and my old yachtie mate cracked a bottle that he’d carried home from Italy, which I thought was incredible. Wine of the Gods.

I poked around for a couple months figuring out how to get some, as no one in the 'States stocks it. I was able to order from the UK website of an Italian retailer, Tannico, and the shipping was free, for orders above £150. Today, the wine arrived, at long last– Calloo! Callay!

Primitivo (and the Yank variety Zinfandel) is my favourite grape. I’m trying to decide what to cook to make it worthwhile opening the first bottle. (I get excited about wine the way some people do about clothes.)

It’s nice to see the thread active again! I had good feedback from my real life critique group. Now I can’t wait to finish the next chapter.

I always found that primitivo went well with beef dishes - like braised steak. Or, if I couldn’t be bothered cooking, with a sharp cheese.

Red meat and sauce, for sure. I also like it with tomato-sauce dishes like spaghetti bolognese and eggplant parmesan. Good with pizza. It fits nicely with garlicky roast chicken.

As wines go, it’s pretty promiscuous. :sunglasses:

Exactly!

An online friend of mine is an absolute master at the drabble and has a book of them called Stolen Postcards. If you love exquisite, clever writing, you won’t be disappointed.

Writing wise, ever since I’ve started taking my work from home seriously, I haven’t written anything other than random thoughts on Facebook and then reposting those to my blog. I guess we all have our seasons, but I definitely miss writing fiction.

I was thinking about writing a book called Christian Bitches: A self-help guide, but apparently I’d lose any small following I have if I did because the title is too mean. But seriously, some people are so horrible and they know they are, so why not help them out a bit with some perspective and common sense?

So then I thought about writing about how to be kinder with some super catchy title. But I love fiction, and while I’m good at self-help stuff, it doesn’t conjure up those gorgeous pictures in the mind the way fiction does.

Speaking of nonfiction, I have never been as moved by any book as I have this one, Tattoos on the Heart. You might have seen his video going around. He has worked with gang members since the '80s. Father Gregory Boyle.

I don’t usually read drabbles; I write them when I need to prove to myself I can produce something intelligible when I keep the results tiny. Then I throw them into the dark or the regular drabbles ‘works’ here, and go back to writing my more complex novels.

I do haikus the same way, as a challenge. Mine are not classical in anything except the 5-7-5 structure - but serve to see if I can make a thought pithy.

I write the haikus for epigraphs for my chapters, when I can’t find a quote I like (my other sources are faux news items and quotations from the KJV). Makes me happy.

Hey guys, anyone else having a day off due to the weather?

RE: Drabbles. The form doesn’t appeal to me. When I feel like writing something quick and intense, I go for poetry, which allows more leeway in terms of language and effects.

I got this as a gift. Think it’s called flash fiction: short, but no set word count.

It’s excellent work, but not immersive. I can read three or four at a time, no more.

When I write prose, I like to inhabit the characters and the setting for a bit— one of the pleasures of writing. So my shortest stories are longer than average.

Fits the definition of beef and sharp cheese perfectly!

No rest for the wicked. About 10°F/-12°C. Snowing and blowing.

Mum had a doc appointment, so I had to fire up the snowblower (which weighs about thrice what I do) and clear the lane. A tyre was low and it kept pulling hard to the right, which I countered by leaning against the bar. Then, on the home stretch, the tyre popped off the rim and I had to practically carry the miserable, roaring thing back to shelter.

Good news is that she made her appointment. I managed to get the bead sealed and re-inflate the tyre. Bad news is that I feel like I got trampled by a herd of cattle.

A dram and a hot bath, please.

We woke up to a quarter inch of ice coating everything outside. We lost power three times and needless to say I didn’t go to work today.

Ouch, my snow blower did that to me before. Nothings worse then having to drag a heavy snow blower through the snow instead of blowing snow with it.

Eek! I can’t believe you did all that.

If you don’t have one, a small electric air pump is a useful thing to keep in the garage.

The van I sold before we moved out here had a rare feature: its own built-in air pump. I used it at least once when the tire was in no condition to drive home on. I miss Liz, my van.

We haven’t even bought a car here - there is so much transportation from the facility (bikes, trike, vans for church and medical stuff, and a shared car you can borrow/rent), the city of Davis (free bus pass for seniors), and Lyft and Uber, that we’re possibly not going to buy a new car. We sold both of ours right before coming.

That’s weird, too - would never have happened back in New Jersey, where a car meant independence because no public transportation at all!

Well, it’s not that cold here. Low right around freezing, high about 50 or so. But the wind doesn’t play. But, my book is making progress.

My years of outdoor field work gave me confidence in dealing with bad weather, mechanical screw-ups, and that sort of thing. It’s -15°F/-26°C right now. But that’s not unusual here. We don’t have to go anywhere tomorrow, except to walk the dog and check on the neighbours’ cats– they’re away for the week.

I bought a wee electric pump and it didn’t work very well in the cold. But I’m going to get a pressure tank that I can poof up in town, that’ll do the trick without needing to be plugged in.

When we lived in Auckland, we didn’t have a car. It was nice: not worrying about traffic or finding a parking space. We lived two blocks from the hospital transit hub, and I had the bus system wired. Had to call a cab occasionally. But all told, it was less costly than having an auto.

It’s been lovey and warm here for a week - in the 70s - but it’ll drop 22 degrees in 3 hours tonight and keep dropping til it reaches 33 overnight. Texas weather is ridiculous.

I still haven’t lost the feeling of not being independent because I don’t have a car. For handicapped people, that feeling is hard to manage.

But the cost of a car is huge, and we’re saving gobs of money that way. Now just need to get a California driver’s license, and I can use the shared car. They make you go though hoops, but I’ve done all the others.

Didn’t postpone it just because our address was changing again, but at least we won’t have to update them.