Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

(Put this on a different thread, but might as well copy it here.)

About accents, I was born in the US and grew up in New Zealand where there’s a distinctive accent (no, it’s not like Australian). Here’s a sample:

Mum’s a Yank and the schools I attended often had English and Lit teachers from England, so I didn’t pick up the sort of NZ speech in the viddy. Max Cryer, a pop linguist, claims that dental hygiene was so bad in colonial NZ that most Pakeha (anglos) had lost their teeth by the time they reached 30.

For rural couples, with a long haul to the dentist, a full extraction was a common wedding gift. Seminaries and convents decreed full extraction for novice priests and nuns, to spare the church long-term dental expenses.

Speaking with the imperfect dentures then available meant keeping your lips near closed. Try saying Fish and Chips that way. It comes out Fush and Chups , which is how most Kiwis pronounce it.

The link comes across as unavailable. Have a look-

You’re in India? I get those unavailable screens sometimes for content that’s determined by region.

You might need to search with your browser (on YouTube or whatever) for Eagle vs. Shark.

Yup, I’m from India.

Will do, thanks.

There’s a bull moose just below our house, browsing the berry bushes. Shot these just a few minutes ago.

There are antler scars between his eyes and his ears. He also has scars on his face, from battles during mating season. I think we saw him a couple years ago. Not sure my facial recognition skills extend to mooses.

More moose pix.

He’s an old guy. Lots of battle scars.

Mum was just out of the shower, and stayed inside to watch, along with Kapa.

This is what is outside my window at the moment, a flock of parrots in our neighbour’s fig tree (it’s summer here)

Strylia?

maybeeee… :slight_smile::australia:

PS I love that your Mum and the dog both have the same posture looking out the window!

Except for the tail. :sunglasses:

What sort of parrot is that? And what sort of fig tree?

There were Moreton Bay figs brought to NZ in colonial times, that have grown really huge.

I was there in October for a visit. This is a red-crowned parakeet, on a flax:

NZ has quite a few species of parrots.

I have an uncle who lives in London. Whenever I pay a visit to him, I try not to sleep in the front of the house, where there is a tree-lined avenue. The reason?

Parakeets. Hundreds of yellow parakeets. The dawn chorus is …, noisy.

It seems there are thriving colonies of the birds all across south-eastern England after some got loose and started breeding.

They’re not the most unusual/out of place creatures I’ve come across. Mink are endemic and classed as pests. And up in the hills near where I live there are wallabies. The local museum even has a stuffed juvenile on display.

We definitely need a choice of icons to tick other that hearts!!! mine would be a wtf emoji :):open_mouth:

I think they are rainbow lorikeets and the fig? I don’t know the name of the variety - you can eat them but they’re not as nice as the black ones

In the hills behind our house are wallabies. Fenced in though.
Now you made me want to launch a #freethewallabies campaign :astonished:

Truth is often stranger than fiction. After all, it doesn’t ha e to explain itself :wink:

According to ‘local legend’, the wallabies here were also fenced in. It’s just the fence wasn’t high enough, and so they escaped from the private zoo they had been kept in. Along with a yak. Or so I’m told.

Oh, to meet a yak while hiking would be very surreal.
Even the wallabies caught me by surprise. There are a lot of deer here, but I think they would get along nicely…

That small private zoo belongs to a retirement home. They have emu too, llamas and alpacas, wild boar, but mostly horses. I came out of the forest by the wallaby pen and the fence was hidden, so at first I really stood there baffled.

I hear we have a wolf again roaming the more remote areas… but they seem to spread more and more these days.

I’ve encountered deer, foxes and llamas in my rambles across the Derbyshire dales. The llamas were the cause of me occasionally having to walk with a stick. There are also supposed to be boar somewhere, but I have no idea where.

I’m glad there aren’t any wolves here.

That private zoo sounds a bit like the set-up with the deer park in Greenwich Park in London. If you go walking through the eastern parts of the park you will come across a tall chainlink fence, sometimes with the deer staring at you as you stare at them.