Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

Foxes are quite common around here. Never leave shoes outside, they will steal them for sure.

Wolf and lynx are returning into their former habitats, and there is a lot of dispute about it, of course. True, they happen to tear sheep from time to time. Last year I saw a bearded vulture on a mountain hike. They are impressive!
From time to time, even the odd brown bear shows its face in our country. Tends to split the population in bear fans and wannabe bear hunters set to kill it.
Personally, I’m glad these animals return and seem to find space to live in our over-civilised world.

We used to have a fox that slept under the barbecue. It was a juvenile vixen, judging from her size and colouring. I would see her in the morning as she would come back from her nocturnal roaming. She stayed wit( us for a year before moving on. We hope.

Reminds me - I must check the cathedral tower. There is a pair of peregrines that roosts there every year.

There is plenty of wildlife here, so long as you know what to look for. It is an advantage of having the Peak District and dales to one side and the National Forest to the other.

Sounds intriguing. I’ve been to the new forest once, ages ago. I’d love to see the island once more.
How easy will it be to visit Britain after brexit?

I’ll go see if the deer on the hill are still around, now. I’ll bring my camera this time. Last week they let us get really close, but I had only my phone.

Wish I knew how easy it is going to be. I’m going to assume that for people from the USA that there will be no difference in the procedures. For people from Europe? No idea.

I’m going to apply for my Irish citizenship, provided work allows me to. I’m fully entitled, no questions asked, as I was born in Northern Ireland before 2004. I intend to be completely shameless about using it.

From reading the Times of India, Brexit comes across as a real mess to me. Read today that 3 UK cabinet ministers have revolted against May, opposing the deal.

@johnnedwill As a native, what are the real stats out there? :slight_smile:

Makes sense. Can you hold two passports or are you restricted to one?

@Nablai

It’s a real mess. That’s what it is. The country is fairly evenly divided, pro- and anti-. The exact figures depend on the latest poll. However, most people agree that the government has totally screwed this up, the prime minister is useless, and the hardliners should put up or shut up.

The most recent development had 8 Labour MPs and 4 Conservative MPs resign their respective whips in protest. All but one of them (a Conservative MP) have formed a loose grouping. There are rumblings in the Conservative Party that about 20 more MPs are prepared to resign the whip, while the Labour Party keeps demanding that their leader call for a “People’s Vote” to put the final deal (!) back to the electorate.

Most of the Labour MPs who have left were senior figures under the previous leader. The three Conservatives who have joined them were junior ministers - they held minor government positions.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.

The UK and Ireland don’t worry about dual nationality. In fact, due to the COmmon Travel Area, UK citizens and Irish citizens are pretty much interchangeable. For now. However, given my work, being a dual National may restrict my ability to do it.

Ah, I see. Well, I hope you don’t have to pass on this opportunity. Having that second passport sounds like the key to a lot of possibilities

It will make life a lot easier for myself and my daughter, put it that way.

Definitely. Schengen brought a huge improvement for us.
Incidentally, the few times I travelled to Britain in the last years brought back to me how complicated travelling was before the EU. And now I wonder if I’ll ever want to top this experience.

Ahh, fond memories of my youth! :yum:

We’ve got weasel, mink, beaver, otter, badger, fox, coyote, cougar, black bear, and a few passing wolves. Also moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, and scattered herds of bighorn sheep and mountain goats. Most commonly seen are mule deer, antelope, and coyotes.

There were once grizzly bears and bison. Sooner have them than all the bloody cows.

Our neighbour, a refugee from the suburbs, was talking about cutting down the trees and shrubs on her section so she can see the wildlife. I tried to explain, gently, that the trees and shrubs provide cover for wildlife, which otherwise would stay away. Not sure she gets it.

Some people… should probably better stay in their city.

I leave my gardening to a minimum to encourage insects and birds. Although benevolent neglect takes a lot to manage!

I’m happy to visit. There are some very nice walks in the Peak and locally.

I hear there are feral Big Cats in England too. Amazing place!

When I was young, growing up in a patch of bush on the cliffs of Lyttelton Harbour, NZ, I would sleep with the windows open so I could wake to this:

Depends on wha you mean by ‘big’. The wild cat is definitely bigger than the domestic moggy, but there are also occasional sightings of larger things.

The seasons have shifted far enough that I get the dawn chorus as I am leaving for work. Not as melodious as that, though.

Just curious– in the birdsong video, did you notice the traffic noise?

On the Harbour, there was none.

I could hear the waves breaking at the foot of the cliffs.