Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much for your time as well!
I appreciate the effort! also for @Luzzzifer

Amen.

You can be there for him as long as he wants to fix his problems, but you cannot do it and you shouldn’t do it for him! He’s a grown man and should learn how to deal with his own stuff and how not to be a problem/worry for others.

yes… sadly… he calls me immature and still a child because he is almost 2 years older than me… he just doesn’t realize sometimes in which position is

Then, as IrishSally said, if he doesn’t see it and doesn’t want to change, as hard and painful it can be for you, maybe it is the time to give him an ultimatum and leave if he keeps acting like that. Otherwise he’ll drag you to hell and you’re the one that will end up depressed or God knows what!

No man, no person deserves so much effort when they don’t even care about themselves You need to take care of yourself too, girl :slight_smile:

I do, indeed, believe me. I am doing great in everything… except this.
I guess everyone had moments like this in their life.

Silly. A helicopter is not grounded, so it couldn’t discharge static. If the copter was sling-loading flammable cargo or preparing to land, a metallic cable might prevent a hot spark when it touched down.

The building is definitely grounded, but during an electrical storm a strong positive charge might build up at the top of the structure. As a storm cloud passes above, with a negative charge at its base, the positive charges concentrate in the ground, and particularly at points (tall buildings, mountain peaks, steel masts on ships) and edges. When the opposing charges are strong enough, there’s a lightning bolt.

Here’s a time exposure showing lightning strikes to Chicago skyscrapers, including the Sears Tower.

We’re trying! You can read back posts to see if this is your kind of place: respectful, interesting, civil, and non-toxic.

Sounds good to me😁

A helicopter will build up static charge in any kind of weather, due to the rotors ionizing the air. That is why anyone on the ground who is working with a helicopter that is in the air must first run a cable to the ground in order to discharge it. Loggers do it when clearing timber, and rescue workers do it when saving flood victims and the like. Normally the pick up hook is grounded by dragging it on the ground or through the water before the anyone touches it.

This is what it looked like. A cable hanging from a helicopter, and the helicopter hovering over one of the “needles” of the Sears Tower.

Well, you know, if they need to install something big, like an antenna or HVAC system, that would be how they would get it up there.

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure out the mystery of the “Sears Tower Helicopter,” as my understanding of engineering and hard science has diminished. I rarely take pictures, but next time I see such an unusual sight I’ll make sure I take one.

Sounds like they had just dropped a load and might have been hovering to pick up an empty net or pallet. I worked air liaison for the US Forest Service on fires and part of the job was setting up sling loads and calculating stuff like density altitude (the lifting capacity based on air temperature.)

Static charges are a problem only when stranded steel cables are used. Synthetic fiber slings (nylon, kevlar, dyneema, etc.) don’t conduct electricity unless they’re soaked.

Feeling very happy today. I won first place in a writing challenge! https://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article-editors-previous.php?id=57679 …

Hyper-Congratulations, dearie!

Is there a prize? Cash? Free books? Blessings?

Sadly only bragging rights, but those are so few and far between these days, I’ll take them. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on the win :slight_smile:

Good on yez, @IrishSally!

I toast you with champagne today. I’m having some with cherry cheesecake.

:slight_smile: