Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

Mmm. Cherry cheesecake. Aaaah.

Yeah! An’ I made it myself, too! :slight_smile:

Oh my goodness! People on Wattpad who aren’t 15! I’m not new to the site but I’m new to doing anything other than making my profile and uploading some stories and I’m definitely new to the Community section. I’m basically floating in a messy sea of I-have-no-idea-what-I’m-doing. I feel a bit lost because I don’t write YA, fanfic or romance - not that there’s anything wrong with any of those things, they’re just not my things - but at least I get to just be lost now instead of lost and old (I’m 38).

I’ve read a bunch of books on here about getting started on Wattpad and I followed some ambassador-run profiles to try and get a handle on what’s going on. I noticed some of the ambassador-run profiles have reading lists you can submit your work to but I have no clue if it’s the done thing to go ahead and do that as a mostly-new member. My notifications are full of confusing announcements and I feel like someone’s gran using Facebook for the first time.

I’m really just here to share my writing and enjoy other people’s. I’m not desperately seeking a million reads, loads of votes, or detailed comments/critique. I struggle with fitting my fiction into Wattpad’s pre-existing genres, which makes the genre-based clubs a wee bit difficult to get my head around because, with genres in general, I feel like I’m shoe-horning things into places they don’t really fit.

I’m also not here to whine about being confused :slight_smile: I’m hoping some writers closer to my own age might be able to point me in the direction of some getting-started info that focuses more on community involvement than the technical side of uploading a story. Failing that, it’d just be nice to know others have felt this lost at some point, have found their feet and now feel at home here!

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile: You can have a look at this thread for more info-

You ask for help anywhere, specially in this thread-

Please feel free to submit your story to the ambassador-run profiles :slight_smile: There is nothing as a new member. It’s the story that counts.

Welcome and all that! It sounds as if you’ll be more easily satisfied on WP than those who imagine zillions of readers, awards, and screenplay deals. We have that in common.

I used to make most of my living by writing and editing, but got tired of the business side and the endless self-promotion (being rather shy). Now I write for fun. I don’t have many readers, but they seem to be a better sort than the average. It doesn’t take a lot to keep me happy.

The genres are annoying. Most of my work could fit in several slots, but you have to choose one to post. Adding a variety of descriptive tags can help draw readers who are using the search function rather than clicking on featured stories.

The other odd bit is how WP is divided into the old part (with the profiles and the stories) and this new chatspace. If it confuses you, you aren’t alone.

In any event, good luck!

Thanks so much for the links :slight_smile: It’s really helpful to have more info to dig around in while I’m finding my feet here.

Thank you! I’m trying to separate creativity from business as much as I can these days and it feels really good. It’s so nice to hear from someone else who has that outlook on things :slight_smile:

For a lot of us, selfpublicity can be a horrible chore. Definitely better off to spend that time writing.

Welcome to the funhouse!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can’t get over how friendly this place feels already. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky enough to land in a very friendly zone :slight_smile:

Welcome. You’re not old. There are a bunch of us of retirement age.

Not me! I am a young spring chicken! Bawk bawk!

:smiley:

Oh, this is definitely a friendly zone. The forums in general are. Welcome!

A couple shots of the moon and a cloud over the mountain to the east.

I was outdoors listening to the coyotes howl.

Emma Kat, you are so cool I could die. :slight_smile:

Finally spring!

Book worthy - looks like a flying goose.

Yay! Daffodils! Don’t let the bunnies eat them! :open_mouth:

They are so pretty, Jinnis :slight_smile:

Do they eat them? I imagine they’ll get a stomachache

they are - best time of the year in my garden