Anyone over 35 there? Third edition

discussion

Spring in Wyoming. Sheesh! I decided to fire up the Cobb Cooker, which is a charcoal oven and smoker.

Bugger the snowstorm. Nothing like a fawncy bit of bush tucker!

Spatchcocked a game hen and seasoned it with Gates Classic BBQ rub.

Stupid rabbits’ll eat anything.
And what they don’t eat, they will lie on and squish flat with their butts. :-/

Glad we don’t have any, then. The foxes probably ate them

There’s something properly amazing about outdoor cooking in the snow :slight_smile:

That’s what happened around my house as well. Foxes ate all the bunnies.

I cook on the grill year 'round. I oftentimes start a fire as well, to help me keep my butt warm.
After Christmas this year, I had to set up shop in the garage because there was too much snow on the patio.

The van ended up smelling like steak. :slight_smile:

They also try to eat gardening shoes, if you forget them outside… even the rubber ones.

Fire is still the best way to keep the house warm.

Hello again, tis I, no, not Batman, just the elusive Scotsman, known only as Will! I’m determined to sign off on a play I’ve been working on for four months today, so instead of doing that I’ve popped in here to say hello. I was going to say I was glad to see you all still bashing away at your keyboards, until the wrongness of that phrasing occurred to me, and I changed my mind.

Anyway I too love fire, we bbq most of the year weather permitting. Nothing ever smells quite as good as meat and onions over coals.

Anyway @TanyaSSimpson I be 39 and I keep coming back here, albeit less frequently than I would like. Man plans, God laughs as they say. There’s an audience for almost anything on here, which is both a good thing, and a highly disturbing one. Write it, and one or two, or a few hundred, or more will read it, you actually never quite know!

To all, should any of you make it to Edinburgh at some point or other, do say, the garden and the bbq are always waiting, and you’re always welcome!

Nice to meet you, Will :slight_smile:

A play? That’s exciting. Never tried one, although I love to see them.

What’s the essence, or will that jinx it?

Writing a play is one of the best ways to improve your dialogue skills. I wrote one - and it was a very different beast from a novel. It makes you think differently, and realize how the whole story can be carried in the words the actors say.

Hello, fellow Edinburger!

Ahoy @TanyaSSimpson you can find me every Wednesday at the Shut up & Write group in Starbucks on Leith Street. I’m the current organiser, we’re a motley crew of scribblers of all ages, and nationalities. Pop along anytime :slight_smile:

@EmmaKatSpector in essence it grew out of a short story I wrote last year about a police officer who meets the devil (or a very devilishly charming criminal) on Arthur’s Seat, the old volcano that overlooks Edinburgh. Said officer ultimately rejects the inevitable three temptations, though not without some deep personal trauma.

I developed it by considering the officer 20 years on, having put it behind them, only to discover that said devilish figure may have their sights set on the young protege. It’s set over one evening, as the two try to figure out whether it’s an insanity, a secret criminal organisation, or Lucifer himself. It’s, in essence a fairly serious look at whether the ends always have to justify the means. It’s intentionally gender fluid in the casting just to add some more fun to the writing process!

It’s essentially finished, I just have to tweak it for the right tone. There’s a great deal of scope for comedy, but it has to be rained in. I see too many ‘amateur’ play-writes relying on laughs no matter the topic, and whilst that’s human, I think it’s a crutch that can detract. On the other hand, compelling people through the depredations of an institutionally homophibic police force is a challenge. :slight_smile:

Crikey, mate! That’s pretty erudite material (and what the bloody hell are you doing on WattPad?:sunglasses:)

It seems as if the backstory (the original meeting with Ould Nick) might be a challenge to get across on the stage. If there are only two characters onstage, that places a great burden on the dialogue. But there are some great plays (Waiting for Godot) that rely on dialogue rather than action.

I saw a local production of Ionesco’s The Rhinoceros that had a framework of panels at the rear of the stage fronted with a scrim, where the characters not speaking at stage front and some extras enacted pantomimes that referred to what was taking place. It worked, mostly.

Is there much physical action?

Love it.

That group looks awesome! Weird thing - I’d never heard of Meetup until a couple of weeks ago when I ran into it totally by accident, bookmarked it as something to check out at some point, then promptly forgot about it. Then I started using Wattpad, even though I’ve had an account for literally years, and one of the first people I encounter on the forums (you) is also in Edinburgh and runs a writing group through Meetup. I probably won’t make it along for the next couple of weeks, but I’m going to join the Meetup and will hopefully come along for coffee and creativity soon. Thank you :slight_smile:

This made me laugh. :smiley:

Yes, there seems to be an uptick in this kind of sneaky behavior. Ugh!

Hey, awesome news! Congratulations!