Anyone rec me some fantasy books?

I’m looking for an uplifting read where the good guys win in the end.

Anyway, would love if they had these elements:

Generally lovable characters. (The hero is nice, but might struggle with some types of ‘inner demons’ throughout the narrative. Not unlike Luke Skywalker, if you want an example.)

Can have romance. (In fact, I’d love if there was romance. A cute kind. I don’t mind sex scenes either, if they are present.)

An adventure plot, where there’s a big journey involved.

A villain with a redemption arc would be cool.

A totally evil force of nature villain wouldn’t be bad either. (Think Sauron, or the clown from IT)

Can be in any setting. Really don’t care.

Can be on wattpad OR published. (But if it’s on wattpad, it NEEDS to be finished!)

Please do not send me grimdark.

(Frankly, I think I’m having a LOTR itch. I need to re-read that story again.)

Thanks in advance!

I read it a while back, so I’m not sure it’s fits the description you’re looking for completely. But you could check out The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson.

1 Like

Dragon of Legend books by Voif1d have most of what you’re looking for if you want books on Wattpad.

Books 1, 3, and 4 are on Wattpad. Book 2 is half published because it’s also on Amazon but book 1 can act as a standalone.

‘Kings of the Wyld’ by Nicholas Eames has most of this (it’s also my pick for top fantasy book released in 2017). Super lovable characters, a great world concept (what if mercenary groups were treated like rock bands in the 70s, groupies and everything), a fun and more uplifting take on the post-western hero trope, a villain that eats up every scene he’s in, some great group fight scenes, and just all around great writing. And the protagonist is just nice. Can’t recommend it enough.

Michael J. Sullivan’s another one you might try. What I have read has been a treat. Anything with ‘Riyria’ and his name on it might tickle your fancy.

Oh, snap, just saw this.

@aseveredlimb Sanderson has his book ‘Warbreaker’ available for free here too. Really fun read. Mark Lawrence has some full stories on here too, though his lean more on the dark side.

Just found me Theft of Swords here at my library. Good place to start? (They also have Age of Myth.) Which do you think would be better to start with? I’m quite interested in MJS’ work.

Yup. I remember Michael saying that the books have two different orders: order of publication and chronological story order. Found some info to help you decide which one you’d like to start with:

• The Riyria Revelations books came first. (Theft of Swords)
  • Riyria Chronicles followed but take place before the first series.
  • The First Empire books take place in the distant past and stand alone. (Age of Myth)
1 Like

Thanks very much. You’ve been a great help. I’ll just snag Theft of Swords. Seems like my kinda style.

1 Like

Yeah, no worries. Hope it treats you well.

In published work, you might check out anything by Raymond E. Feist, or Terry Brooks, or - god, there are so many good choices.Rodger Zelazny , Gordon Dickson…

Super Gene - it’s free to read on webnovel site / webnovel app

826 Chapters 27M Views

4.1 (1,292 ratings)

Synopsis
In the magnificent interstellar era, mankind has finally developed teleport technology, but when trying to teleport, they are not sent to the future, the past, or any land known to men…

This mysterious space is called God’s Sanctuary, where lived numerous unknown creatures. Here, humans will make the greatest leap in their evolution to create the most glorious epoch in history.

Sacred-blood creature black beetle killed. Beast soul of sacred-blood black beetle gained. Eat the meat of sacred-blood black beetle to gain 0 to 10 geno points randomly

I also recommend this one that I’m reading

True Martial World - on webnovel site / webnovel app

True Martial World TMW
Eastern Fantasy 6 chs / week
1,530 Chapters 39M Views

Author: Cocooned CowTranslator: CKtalonEditor: CKtalon
4.3 (1,540 ratings)

Synopsis
With the strongest experts from the 33 Skies the Human Emperor, Lin Ming, and his opponent, the Abyssal Demon King, were embroiled in a final battle. In the end, the Human Emperor destroyed the Abyssal World and killed the Abyssal Demon King. By then, a godly artifact, the mysterious purple card that had previously sealed the Abyssal Demon King, had long since disappeared into the space-time vortex, tunneling through infinite spacetime together with one of Lin Ming’s loved ones.

In the vast wilderness, where martial arts was still slowly growing in its infancy, several peerless masters tried to find their path in the world of martial arts. A young adult named Yi Yun from modern Earth unwittingly stumbles into such a world and begins his journey with a purple card of unknown origin. This is a magnificent yet unknown true martial world! This is the story of a normal young adult and his adventures!!