Anyone writing based on their real life experiences?

I wonder if anyone here writes stuff based on their life, with some detail changes?

I don’t do exactly based on real life, but kind of inspired? The story I’m currently writing is based off my previous relationship. I changed names, but locations remained the same. Also, I didn’t get a chance to travel back in time to try and save my relationship lol. But I wrote that story to answer the what-ifs in my head about the failed relationship, so in a way that was my closure. The story is written from my perspective, about trying desperately to grasp at straws to save a failing relationship and failing. Some things just aren’t meant to be, you know?

5 Likes

Kinda, I’m writing based off of some things I have experienced but of course changing the names of everything and using fictional characters and this time it’ll have a happy-ish ending :joy:

1 Like

I do. I’m writing on a Romance story, the story itself is just fiction but I gave the main character a similar past and problems like me. It was really a good therapy for me just to write down the stuff I struggle with

1 Like

I do for some of my stories and some aspects of my series :thinking:

1 Like

This hits hard at home. I’m writing based on myself too. But more of the what-ifs scenario, interspersed with real dialogues, real experiences.

Maybe that’s the main reason we write about our experiences as a reference. because we want that alternate ending…

Same here! It’s an LGBT+ romance tho

Good to know a lot of people are drawing from their experiences. I thought it’s weird at first

2 Likes

Nah. A lot of people do it. Some do it without knowing

2 Likes

I haven’t in any of my current projects, however, the next story I plan to work on and upload will be based inspired by my experiences during a year overseas working with refugee kids. Elements of the story will still be fictitious (like the Romance part :joy:) but the essence of the story, the voices of the kids as they share their story, and many of the MC’s thoughts and experiences will be based on my experiences while I was there.

1 Like

oh wow that sounds amazing!! how’s it feel working with the refugees kids?

I have started writing a story called 6 months of fluoxetine and a necklace. I named it that because I had just came out of an extremely abusive relationship, at just the age of 17, and I was joking with my friends one day that the only thing I got out of a relationship was 6 months of fluoxetine and a necklace. And then one of my friends thought it would be a brilliant title to a book.But ultimately it is about this girl who gets sent to a heart break bootcamp which has some, let’s just say, unconventional methods. The whole concept started during a time that I was really heartbroken and coming to terms with my abuse, when I sat down one day and said to myself ‘I wish there was a heart break bootcamp or something.’ haha and that’s where it started. I’m trying to help other girls now and the story has my inbox filling up with girls coming forward to share their experiences. They are all so strong it is inspirational.

2 Likes

A lot of the stuff I write is based on experiences I’ve had (or dreams I’ve had)… It’s what you do with the material afterwards. One of the great maxim’s I adhere to is: “Write what you know”

1 Like

Not like my life, but I do the Mark Twain thing and write what I know. There are pieces of my experiences in everything I work on.

1 Like

When I wrote there are often many emotions and when I give them to the story, then my expirience and my feelings flow into the story.

2 Likes

I’am doing an autobiography, based on from when I was told I had incurable Prostate cancer, all the medication and tests I went through, hospital and doctor visits.
A few ups and a vast amount of downs, how it affected my life and others.
Nearly four years fighting and hoping to finish it.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you have to go through all of that. But it’s also inspiring to know you’re doing the good work with helping others with their issues! You’re a great person!

I’ve only just heard about this. That is a great advice to stick to! I usually try to go beyond what I know and get caught up in a lot of research, and ended up not writing anything. So now I’m writing solely based on my own experience, creative license applies here and there though :wink:

That’s true. There are a few books out there that I love that just spoke to me, like I can feel their emotions in the book. I like those kind of book.

You must know a lot of things :laughing: I mean yeah, it’s true. Sometimes I feel like I want my characters to have this over-the-top jobs, but then I don’t know jack about them. And then I revert back to what I know.

Oh wow, a fighter! I wish you the best and beat the crap out of that cancer! Hope you are well my friend!

I like this kind of book too. Also when I can feel what the character feel, then the stories are alive and it´s a litle bit like I´m there too.

2 Likes

Yes and no - no in that none of my characters live through situations I’ve lived through, or vice versa, but there are certain similarities and I definitely draw on the emotions I felt then for my characters.

There’s probably a reason why they say that going through some bad stuff helps to make you a better writer - although I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

1 Like

I never give up sweets, I’ve had some times when people would go that’s it, but not me. :grinning:

1 Like

That maxim can extend if you have a passion, obviously…

likewise I’ve written about murder, etc… obviously I haven’t killed someone but that is something that can be researched about… (don’t go out and kill someone and then write about it… not sure the police will be over the moon when you tell them why you’ve killed… “Oh, officer… it’s very simple -I’m writing about killing someone and I’ve been told to research things first …”

However, if you want to write about being a lawyer and legal cases, unless you’re prepared to put in a lot of work researching it I’d leave it to people like John Grisham!

2 Likes

Experiences, good or bad, may help shape how the writer writes his story. Maybe the bad ones are more sellable, because in a way, readers can emphatize much more with imperfect characters that they can relate to. But yeah, you’re right, if possible, I don’t want to have to go through bad times just so I can write better.

Good for you!

Lol I know… I don’t think I’ll ever write anything intense like that. not really a fan of writing thriller, can’t even watch thriller movies.

Exactly!

2 Likes