Are moodboards a good contribution to an advertising strategy?

Because who has the money to keep up a website?

I don’t know what a moodboard is, but regardless, I’d ask: Will the target readers of your book find you there? If so, it could be. If not, no.

It’s another word for aesthetic board.

An author’s website is a place fans go to find out about the author’s books, the author’s schedule, and contact info. (Bare minimum.) Will the mood board do those things, and again, will it be located where target readers will find it?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought a mood board was something used to help in the creation of an artistic work. It’s meant to convey the intended “look and feel” of the work, or to spark discussion about what the look and feel should be. As such, it’s not something that the intended audience of the work would see, or not something they would need to see in order to appreciate the work.

If you’re an author who wants to sell more books, but you don’t have the money for a website, a mood board isn’t going to help. There’s no point showing it to your intended readers, because they won’t understand what it is or how to interpret it. The only other people who might want to see a mood board are a publicist or an advertising agency. But if you can’t afford a website, you can’t afford to pay someone to do your marketing for you.

If you’re going to do the advertising yourself, a mood board might help to focus your thinking about what the advert(s) should say or look like.

I don’t think you understand exactly what a moodboard is for. People make moodboards all the time about already existing movies and tv shows as tributes and even to advertise fanficiton.

Can you show me some examples?

https://www.tumblr.com/search/sherlock+moodboard

Just scroll a bit down.

I would assume those are made by fans. If you are a new author, who would see the mood board?

I in fact have seen moodboards used to advertise both fanfiction and original work, though mostly fanfiction. I would use it to advertise my book in the sense of having moodboards for characters.

Go for it. Whatever works, right?

Authors use Pinterest to do that, and create boards inspired by their world and characters (it’s what I do).

I use mood boards at the beginning of every story to give my readers a feel for the main character(s). They’re also super fun to make and look very pleasing to the eye.

Moodboards are wonderful but you shouldn’t just use moodboards alone, esp. not for writing like a novel or e-book. It’s okay to just use moodboards for RP but for a novel, it feels like it’s lacking… if that makes sense.

What are your suggestions? I don’t have the money or skill for a website.

Here are a few small ideas:

• Instagram. You could post moodboards and small texts to advertise your work.
  • Facebook page that you use to promote your writing and edits. You could join writing groups or roleplay groups or even share for share groups and ask if you could advertise your page in the group to build a following.
  • Twitter (eh)
  • Amino apps. I am sure there is a Wattpad Amino Community as well as many other communities that are relevant to writing.

I hope I answered what you were asking. Good luck, by the way.

Pinterest is free and what many other authors use. As I already posted above. There is a huge community on Pinterest and pins are searchable.

I use moodboard like pictures for my book covers if that helps? I create the moodboards myself and just add the relevant text

I use pinterest, and then occasionally I’ll screenshot a few of my boards and share the pics on instagram to show my own image for the aesthetic of the story. There might be ideas for the clothing, the setting, prompts, character appearance etc
I’ll be honest that those instagram posts don’t do as well as others, but it’s still fun to show my visions as I am such a visual thinker

Yep! Your understanding of a mood board is accurate. They’re typically used by designers as part of the creation process. I use them when I’m playing art director to advise a visual artist what sort of aesthetic I’m looking for in whatever I’m hiring them for.

With that in mind, mood boards are useful for marketing as part of the process of developing something that’s salable…like a book cover. The “moodboards” that this thread seems to be referring to are something else – something usually called “author aesthetics” which are like photo collages that are meant to convey feelings of their story or a character, etc. To my mind there’s not much return on the invested time an author spends on these, but at least they look nice.