As a writer, you always want to surprise your readers, but who else sees predictability popular on Wattpad?

Hi, basically I like to approach my book with this false sense of security with the main plot and the romance. I try to not make any romance a pattern. I like happy endings, but I love sad ones too. And my endings might not follow the trend I see on Wattpad. it seems people gravitate to a story they can map out for the most part. I feel personally like that defeats the point of reading a story. You shouldn’t have the plot mapped out from the plot summary or the title. It kinda annoys me.

What if my book Spin the Bottle was titled: My Life With A Hot Genie?

I feel like I would have more reads to be honest, but it wouldn’t be accurate to the plot and it’s not vague enough to peak interest. You would think this is a romance book. It’s not. Romance is the subplot, but it is used to further the plot.

Am I making sense? Tell me if you agree and share your thoughts and experiences with this lack of unpredictability on Wattpad.

Majority of the time readers are younger and tend to lean towards something that appeals to them and well those books do. The other issue is these books are generally more popular than the one that is unpredictable, as for the age groups of 20+ we prefer unpredictability, well most of us anyway.

If you were to use a title that gives away the book, there’s something that clicks in their head and they click on it, they know what happened and they want to read how it happened so essentially if u did use a title like that and it was discovered by majority of readers, it would pique their interests lol.

3 Likes

I think your idea is smart tho, lmao.

1 Like

Yeah maybe it’s because Im 19 and I’m more mature. But, I’m actually still mentally 16, so… Idk. I don’t have a problem with titles like that if it’s a comedy book. But, I see lame titles and troupes used in a context where i’m suppose to take the book kinda seriously and that’s when it annoys me. Especially when 20 books have a similar plot and vaguely similar title and they all have 2million+ reads

2 Likes

I understand the frustration! But, at the end of the day its what most wattpad readers want :rofl:

True. Luckily I have one book that I think will appeal to those people. It happens to be my only 2k story

What genre? Give me a summary if you can :eyes:

I would say I like both. Even if I know everything that’s going to happen, if it’s written well, I’ll still happily read it because I’m there for the characters journey, not the outline.

I don’t mind being pleasantly surprised either as long as it and doesn’t come out of nowhere just for some shock value (aka, don’t introduce me to this new character we’ve never heard about and have them die almost immediately so we can watch the MC be angsty). I do love when somethings revealed that has been hinted at in previous chapters and suddenly it all makes sense and, “I see what you did there!”

2 Likes

I put it in Fantasy since the concept of magic is involved. Like a fantasy/romance.
The End of The Rainbow
SO… it’s about Briana who is always being attacked by her bad luck. She meets a mysterious dude (obviously not a leprechaun) and ever since then her life has gotten great. Good luck galore. However, her life only gets worse from here. Some steamy stuff, some cute stuff, and a lot of funny moments.

Yeah. I mean I have read obvious titles that actually surprised me and props to them. I like those books. To be more clear, let me use the Bad Boy titles or the Billionaire titles as an example.

1 Like

Yeah sometimes the title says it all and the plot and writing lacks imagination, but sometimes you’re also pleasantly surprised. A friend of mine has a title you’d expect to be a chick lit romance, and it is, but also goes into detail of the MC going through a sexual assault trial against her former employer.

1 Like

I know you don’t mean it this way, but not all of us. This kind of thing has annoyed me since I first saw Wattpad at 14

1 Like

Exactly. But I understand what they meant

1 Like

Right. And that’s why I swallow my pride and take time to actually read the first 5-10 chapters. Usually if I make it to chapter ten I keep going. However the book The Last Virgin Standing sounded cool and I was excited to read it. Then my the time the main character did something dumb for the 6th time I was over it because I was only one chapter 11. its about 35 or 40 chapters. I couldn’t take it anymore. I predicted everything I read.

2 Likes

Heh, this has always puzzled me. It’s not Wattpad-specific. I generally find there’s a small core of readers who want original stories, and a much bigger group that want to read the same story again and again. I don’t understand it, because like you said, if you can just imagine it for yourself, then what’s the point of reading it? But people do! (Generally the predictable things aren’t well-written, so it’s not about the prose.) It’s a mystery…

2 Likes

Some main characters are too dumb to live, like how haven’t you walked in front of a bus yet considering your lack of common sense?

2 Likes

LOL

1 Like

Predictable doesn’t always mean boring.

For a mystery or thriller, yes, predictability might put a real damper on things–but you know what? I guessed the twist/ending of Big Little Lies about a third of the way through, and when it finally went down, I was giddy with excitement. Connecting the dots and seeing something coming can really build a sense of anticipation.

Plot summaries should, at the very least, tell you what’s to come. Harry starts wizard school. Katniss is forced to compete in a televised fight to the death with other kids. Bella falls for a mysterious boy who’s a vampire. These things are not surprising because we’ve been told they’ll happen–but we’re full of anticipation when Harry gets that first letter, and Katniss volunteers after her sister’s name is drawn, and Bella first sees the Cullens. We know what’s coming, and still, we read on to watch it happen.

Novels that hit popular tropes and follow classic structures are predictable in the sense that they deliver on promises–and that’s something a lot of readers actually enjoy!

2 Likes

I agree with you. I understand that you need predictability. But, with those stories you mentioned, you couldn’t predict everything the main character would do in the next 4-5 chapters. You may know who the main character ends up with, but you don’t know how many other people were almost endgame. There are twists and turns. My main point is that the story can’t be 80% predictable. Only 30% or even 40%. It has to feel predictable, but it shouldn’t actually be. If that makes sense.

that’s why I give almost nothing away in my title or my story description. My goes all over the place and I can’t imagine any of it is predictable and I like it that way.

1 Like