As of writer, do you find yourself re-directing other people's stories?

What I mean by this is have you read a story and been like “I wish the writer went a different direction?” or “I wish they have done something more?”

This happens to me a lot when I’m reading stories, both professionally published and unpublished. I do enjoy them…but I feel like the stories would be even more enjoyable if the author did a character, the plot, or the execution of the story differently. Sometimes I make up my own ideas of how I would write their story or a character in my head.

For instance, I used to be a total Twihard from 12-14. Then as I got older and read and wrote fantasy stories more, I began picking out more and more flaws in Twilight. And while I still like the concept of Twilight and some of the characters, I don’t like the execution of the story.

The problem is that I do this with Wattpad stories too. I see their potential and I like the concept, but then the writers write stuff where I think “Why didn’t they do this instead of that?” (This account is new but I’ve been on wattpad before and read and critiqued many stories on other accounts in the past.)

I do like offering suggestions to help other writers improve their stories…but I just don’t want to make a writer feel bad, or re-write the story for them, nor do I want to squash their creativity. So when critiquing, I try to hold myself back from telling them how to write their story but sometimes I can’t help myself.

So does any other writers have this problem?

This happens to me a lot especially when I’m deeply invested. I read this series a while ago and I was so so hooked that I started making theories and I was 100% positive that would happen and then… it didn’t. And I was a bit disappointed, not gonna lie, but whatever I’m not gonna tell a New York Times bestseller how to write a story :sweat_smile::joy:

Here on wattpad sometimes I tell others what I would have done with their story, but only when I see the person is looking for real feedback. Other times the story keeps surprising me in a good way and I wouldn’t have done it better

1 Like

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:

I can relate, especially to Twilight! Back when they were released, I must have read them back to back at least 10 times because I loved them so much, but the older I’ve gotten, I find myself struggling to read them because like you said, I find the execution isn’t great.

I think it’s part of our creative nature. Sometimes the books are amazing, some of the best I’ve read, but sometimes the niggling “I wish the author would have done this or that” sneaks into my head. This is part of the reason I became a book blogger/reviewer.

Of course! That’s why we write fanfictions.

1 Like

I’m a just say no ive never done this lol

but people do thats all a fan fic is someone writing someone elses work how they feel it should be done

I found myself doing this with Laurel K Hamilton’s Anita Blake series, especially after it went from a bit-of-sexy-times-but-mostly-action to basically three chapters discussing the sex they’re about to have, two or three chapters discussing the sex they’re having and two chapters of post-sex cool-down discussion.

What I tend to do more of is get into the backstories, and gaps that seem to indicate that I should “know something” without question but that I know (especially if related to history or political science) would be absolutely crazy situation and lead to all sorts of crazy outcomes… for instance, in LKH’s AB series: a case heard by SCOTUS? That’d be one up there with Marbury v. Madison or Dredd Scott. That would be a crazy period–just think about what happens with socially construed cases these days. Unfortunately, it was just “hand waved” that it happened and nothing really bad occurred.

in my head. sometimes i just want to correct the author in a kindly manner but i feel like they would get offended for the most part so i just leave it be.

I seem to always get my biggest motivation to start writing after reading something where I just clashed with the ending or a choice. I should probably figure out how be more intrinsically motivated when I write but restless irritation seems to do the job fine for now.

Offering criticism is always such a tough call, because you’re exactly right. It’d be such a rotten thing to trample over their vision, but sometimes that outside perspective can be such a powerful thing for tying up a pattern or resolving a conflict with a new twist.

I don’t know if it’s just because I’m getting older, but I find that I’m hungrier and hungrier for feedback.

1 Like

I do, occasionally, but the only time I’ll actually say something is when something they do just doesn’t make sense or there’s a serious plot hole.

Probably the most common one is the things that make you go

Like you have the character that has been one way for most of the story, and suddenly they are acting totally out of character. Or the event that comes out of nowhere.

1 Like

why does supernatural have all the best gifs?

Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki.

All the time. I don’t write it anymore (personal preference), but I have so many fanfiction ideas/plots/headcannons it’s not even funny.