Asking for Advice about making LGBT+ Characters

Hey I would like to get some advice on how to make a good representation of LGBT+ people. I’m new to Wattpad, currently working on a story that has LGBT+ characters, but I don’t want to mess it up with representing them with my characters.

All that I know from the LGBT+ people is that they want to be represented as normal people.

I have this planned side plots with my characters. Two trying to be normal, but have other people bother them with knowing about their personal lives. One character being too closed off to tell someone they have a hidden romantic feelings. Lastly one that had a horrible breakup with someone due to a traumatic incident in their past that lead to him having a hard time moving on.

Those are some characters that I know are part of the LGBT+ and asking for advice on the matter. I’m someone that isn’t in the community but would like to know from those that are for any guidance. So anything helps.

1 Like

one question: what do you mean by them trying to be normal?

I think it’s fair to say that some LGBTs have difficulty accepting their true identity and wish to try being straight aka normal. I used to be like that.

Which in this case, you are correct. @NatureStarStruck do not pin any sexuality as “normal”. That will be triggering. LGBTs believe there should be no label on what is normal at all unless normal equals “being yourself.”

Hi there,

This seems better suited in #story-services:special-services so I’ll go ahead and move it over there.

If you have specific questions about orientation or gender identity you can also reach out to people in this thread: Sensitivity - Orientation / Gender

Thanks for understanding,
Fray - Community Ambassador :frog:

And for your question, I think it’d be good to actually clarify which group your characters belong to? There are quite big differences in experiences for gay women and men for example. And then there’s a difference between the cis and trans experience. Or the trans and genderfluid experience.

So, which group are you focusing on?

My best advice: read stories by LGBTQA+ authors and how they represent themselves.
I personally like it when we are portrayed just being gay, lesbian, bi, non binary, asexual, transgender etc. but its not THE ONLY thing we are. It shouldn’t be the only thing that controls their actions and their only issue, unless it is a story about coming out. Then it’s a little different.

3 Likes

Discrimination created by a character within a novel can also drive the plot though, which is one of the things the OP is asking about.

I openly support making plots that seem wrong and triggering; it’s supposed to make the viewer angry on purpose; to announce the characters withholding intolerance within the story as unacceptable; to prove that discrimination is wrong. However, as @AWFrasier said, and you, Lana, authors should build the whole back story and the entire identity about the protagonists before proceeding to create bullyish antagonists.

1 Like

As basically living their lives just like how straight people are. With them wanting to be a couple and not have some random person asking them inappropriate questions about their sexuality.

1 Like

No LGBT is gonna be okay living a straight life. It is impossible to “cure” a sexuality.

Yes. If discrimination is a big player- it’s important to tread lightly and be sure your character is full of personality and traits. Otherwise it’ll feel cheap and exploitative. There is LOT of depth to the LGBT issues in life, and usually it’s not one person that is discriminating and it can get, even dangerous at times. Being only surface level with the issue can be looked down upon.

2 Likes

Uh, what? Lesbian here and my life isn’t different from my straight friends’ life - except I date women.

1 Like

LGBT IS a normal life.

2 Likes

I meant straight. apologies. @LanaJoKing

Ah, okay. :sweat_smile: No bother.

Oh sorry about that, I didn’t know that word would trigger some people. Being normal does mean “being yourself” to me. I’m not that good with describing things properly.

Anyway, yeah, @NatureStarStruck don’t even try putting a non-straight into a straight relationship unless it’s a bisexuality thing that allows them to be happy with it. Unless you make a forced marriage plot.

Thank you for this, I’m new to this.

It’s alright mate! Here to help

It’s okay. That fact that you are asking questions means you care about being respectful, and we respect that.

2 Likes

Agreed.