Asking for help! How many words per chapter is recommended?

Hey there!

I’m a newbie writer here! Just gonna ask if how many words per chapter is considered “healthy” :joy:

I’m planning to revisit my story (Though, not yet done) regarding this matter.

I usually write 2K words per chapter. But at one point I’ve reached the 4K teritory.

That is why I need insights regarding word counts.

This will help me re-assess my story :joy: Assessing it in such way I can see if my chapters are too long or too short! An advance thank you for those who will reply!! :smile::smile::smile:

2k tends to be the sweet spot here. Still, it doesn’t mean you should shorten all of your chapters - you can always just split them up into parts.

3 Likes

1.5k-2.5k tends to be the average around here. That said, people generally won’t mind your chapter length as long as they’re not exceeding 4k-5k words AND the chapter length is consistent.

4 Likes

I think that even wattpad itself recommends about 2000-2500 words per chapter. If you write a 4k one, just split it into two, because 4k can discourage the readers :thinking: This is just my opinion though :grin:

3 Likes

If a chapter is a single sentence, it’s one sentence. If it’s twenty thousand words, it’s twenty thousand words. Chapters can be as long or short as you think it’s necessary—if a scene, a few scenes, or an overall theme is contained within that chapter. There is no sweet spot for every story in the world.

Genre can dictate the length of chapters. Horror tends to have short chapters because it keeps up the tense atmosphere, similarly to intense action scenes using short sentences. Romance has longer chapters because description and feelings are beginning to take priority, so scenes can be lengthier. Fantasy that introduces an entire world or culture tends to have even longer chapters than romance because this information is pertinent. But, just because this is a trend among these genres, it doesn’t mean you have to follow it. You can have long chapters in horror just as much as you can have short chapters in fantasy if you feel it works for your story.

Media and where you post can dictate how long your chapters are. For sites that aren’t mobile friendly, most readers read from a computer, so longer chapters are welcomed, but, for sites such as Wattpad where 80% of the readers read from their smartphones, shorter chapters are recommended if you care about numbers and stats . You can still post epically long chapters and still get dedicated readers, they’ll just more than likely be reading from the computer. I think if the mobile version would load longer chapters properly, there would be more people willing to read stories with longer chapters.

Even if you’re still worried about readers being bogged down by lengthy chapters, you can break up chapters to give readers a reprieve while still being easy to find their place later. Time skips, location skips, POV switches, and other things have been published before. The only reason for “boring” chapters is because seemingly nothing happens in it. Breaking up the chapter won’t fix that, you’ll just have numerous boring chapters in a row.

Keeping a consistent word count can help with being on schedule for your readers, but sometimes this sacrifices pacing and cutting scenes in the middle or forcing chapters to be longer than necessary. It’s entirely up to you.

I used to write 2000 word chapters, but, looking back on it, I see that I could have combined chapters, cut chapters, and just changed everything. I don’t like what I have done. Preferably, I write longer chapters, but it depends on the demands of the story. I also prefer to read long chapters. In fact, if chapters of online stories are consistently shorter than a thousand words, I don’t even bother.

2 Likes

As long as everything was needed to be said and it’s paced well enough, there is no need to split or cut anything. If your chapter is one word or one sentence, seven paragraphs or seven thousand words, it doesn’t matter. Focus on quality, not quantity.

Personally, my chapters range differently according to the story and plot. Some of my stories may range from 1,200 words to 3,000 words. Another one of my stories go for 2,000 to over 5,000 words.

2 Likes

You are where you meant to be. 2k is what Wattpad recommends, but it’s okay to be lower or higher when need be.

Like you, I try to be around the 2k range, but occasionally I end up at 3k or 4k and honestly if longer chapters still keep a good pace rather than filled with description, it’s absolutely fine. Too much more than that and you risk the chapter not being able to load properly, however.

1 Like

Thanks for that insight! Much appreciated :smile::smile:

I see :thinking: Consistency is the key! Thank you very much! :smile:

1 Like

If I may ask, have you ever encountered reading something long, but, has engaged you? :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for that very extensive tip! :smile: Can I ask some tips, on how will you know that you need to end your chapter? Also, what are some “no’s” that we can avoid to prevent a boring chapter? Thanks!! :smile::smile:

Question! Based from experience, how did your 1,200 words chapter did compared your much lengthy chapters? :smile:

How do you do your pacing in writing? For you what makes a story having a “good pacing” :smile::smile:

Depends on the story.

I worry about very little while I write and just enjoy the process. A plot can move slowly so long as it doesn’t feel slow to the readers.

Therea different things readers are looking for and having a lack of that aspect will make everything feel slower or not as interesting.

I heard that mobile friendly is about 2000-2500.

1 Like

“How will you know that you need to end your chapter?”

It all depends on you and your story, really. There’s no set rule. In Gremlins, by George Gipe, one chapter just says “Pete forgot.” Just those two words. If you’ve seen the movie, then you know what this means (don’t get the gremlin wet and don’t feed them after midnight, or was that another movie?). Could this chapter have been combined with the future chapter in how Pete forgot? Sure. Did Mr. Gipe have to? No. Because “Pete forgot” really highlights the next chapters. It sets a tone. It creates a feeling of enticement from the reader, getting them eager to read the next chapter to see how Pete messed up.

“What are some ‘no’s’ that we can avoid to prevent a boring chapter?”

Any scene/chapter that doesn’t move the story forward is boring to me. Amanda Patterson has five elements of a good scene:

1. A sense of time and place
  2. Meaningful conflict
  3. Plenty of action and dialogue
  4. A goal where the hero or villain wants something
  5. An ending that makes you want to turn the page

Does every single scene need all five points? No, but, particularly with really important scenes, it really stands out if you try to hit most of them.

Of course, even if you hit all five points frequently in your book, you can’t please everyone. Write how you want.

Coucou, personnellement j’écrit mes chapitres entre 1 121 et 1 421 mots a peut prés il y a beaucoup de rebondissement et de dialogue ou alors de pensé de mon personnage principale, je fait moins de mots j’ai l’impression que les lecteurs s’ennuie et si je fait plus j’ai peur que le lecteur parte finalement car c’est trop long, je coupe a un moment suspens comme sa cela donne envie au lecteurs de savoir la suite et alors de revenir et cela marche plutôt bien (enfin pour ma part)

That’s really true! Whenever I read books one thing that engages mo read it is the emotion/tone of the book. Whenever, the book gives me the emotion that I need, I just feel attached to the story. How about you? What engages you when reading? As we are talking about finding that something in a story​:smile::smile:

1 Like

Oh I see! Thanks for the insight! :smile::smile:

1 Like

Pareil je trouve sa important les émotions dans une histoire, nous pouvons vraiment ce projeter dedans et jouer avec notre imaginations ce que j’aime vraiment avec les fictions parce que nous imaginons les personnages et leurs comportements :star_struck: :sourire: