attract readers with your writing

How can you attract readers with your writing and make them interact with you by comments and reviews

There’s nothing that guarantees it. Usually the bigger the plot twist, the more the comments. Or at least that’s what I’ve noticed. Also the more relatable a situation is. People don’t usually give reviews while reading a book unless they’ve been asked to.

3 Likes

Thank you so much your replay :innocent:

2 Likes

I know it’s kinda hypocritical of me, but I love getting comments but hate giving them, like if I really like your book, unless I make a conscious effort to comment and review I’ll just forget and enjoy your book! Personally though, if you ask me questions at the end I’ll probably answer them

5 Likes

Thank you for the reply.Yes I know the feeling when you get engrossed in some book you will focus just on the story and forget everything but as a writer I like to know the opinion of people on my work it gives me motivation to write more and sometimes it even helps me to correct some things in the story :innocent::innocent:

2 Likes

I don’t think theres any sure fire way to get readers to interact. I share a lot of readers with a friend but for whatever reason they’re most active with comments on her book, but on mine they vote and that’s it. I often rack my brain about what it is about my writing that doesnt engage them the way hers does. Even asked her what she was doing differently lol she does everything I do, they just prefer to be active on hers and not on mine.

One thing that I did find people enjoyed, and I wished I had time to keep it going, was when I added fun little “vote for this chapter” notes. I’d say things like “vote for this chapter and get a puppy” and post an image of a puppy in the chapter header. People really enjoyed that and to date that is still my most popular story in terms of actual reader activity. It was just hard to come up with fun little “vote for this and get…” then find an image. But my readers in that book really enjoyed that.

Don’t take lack of activity as a bad thing. They just might not have anything to say or they might just be so engrossed in the story they just forget.

5 Likes

I think by updating constantly it can help engage readers… But also by being honest on the description. Sometimes people put dishonest description and reader feels betrayed later

3 Likes

I don’t know why it’s never occurred to me to do this! Some youtubers I watch do little witty comments about pressing the like button and they make me laugh. Kinda want to try it now, though what I’d say I don’t know…

1 Like

I enjoyed doing it but in a 25-35 chapter book it got tough to keep being witty and find new things. So once that book was complete I stopped it. And then when i had to close my photobucket account because they were stupid and would allow 3rd party linking, I got left with a bunch of broken images. At least now wattpad let’s you upload directly to the chapter but at the time it didn’t.

1 Like

I have 4 readers and they mostly leave comments. Like someone said, the bigger the plot twist, the more comments I get. Same things for especially nice paragraphs that make people emotional. The other thing I noticed is that I always get comments from the people whose book I comment on. If you go around and read people’s stories, leaving comments and generally being supportive, lots of people return the favor.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can imagine. It’s why I stopped doing chapter titles too.

I wonder if it might work for my short story collection though. I’ll have to think.

1 Like

One thing I’ve learned, and largely due to Watpad, is that the audience you may ultimately get or have is not necessarily the audience you expected.

So, it’s not necessarily an advantage to even approach from the goal of attracting any specific audience.

And there’s not really much one can do to attract more readers in a general sense, other than to write something.

Write something that you like and write it the best you can. Then, label it clearly and accurately through tags, rating, title, and description. Do try to mention your work to others, but in a casual way not in an advertise-y “read this” way.

Then, mostly just be patient while you continue working on other chapters or other works.

Wattpad is big, but the world and the global audience on Wattpad is also big, so it can often take time to be discovered, but the possibility is always there because there are so many people involved that it’s just statistically likely that someone will love the same things you do and want to read your work. It may just take time for some humans or bots to direct them to it.

6 Likes

To be honest, it comes down to if readers are aware that they can comment on inlines, and what their behavior of reading is like.

I agree with the plot changes etc, but it depends if they read further etc :wink:

And I’ve found that the more active, or descriptive the voice is, the more likely you are to get comments. That’s what I’ve found. Same with works that relate to a reader etc.

2 Likes

Wow this is a great idea really. It is very funny and make readers look forward to your next updates

1 Like

My new work-in-progress has an average of more than 100 comments per chapter, always with a lively interaction immediately after each new chapter is posted. I have developed a following of serious writers, and we interact with each other as we write, offering critique, edit suggestions, and other useful commentary.

To answer the question — In my circle, we all write character-driven, deeply-emotional and thought-provoking stories which examine the human condition in new or unusual ways which are skilfully woven into the plot. So, from this, I would suggest seeking others who write in a style similar to yours. Offer them the type of commentary you would like to receive, and go from there. :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes you have reason. Sometimes it takes time to discover works. Like there is times when I found books really great and I ask myself “how on earth I didn’t discover those books early?”

1 Like

If this is to encourage silent readers to interact, that’d be nice. I have some discussion questions at the end of some parts of Pint, but even that doesn’t engage much. Just gotta accept the fact that a chunk of those who read your stuff read offline. It could be because they don’t have a data plan or they read without being connected to the internet. It takes some effort (even though it’s not much) just to turn on the data connection and leave a comment. Sometime a reader could be well into reading a story that voting and commenting skip their mind.

But what can attract readers is having decent spelling and grammar fixed. Sure there are some errors that are overlooked but a simple run through spellcheck or a grammar editor should take care of most. Style may play factor into it as well (economizing words, word choices) which make it easier to digest information.

2 Likes

I have a group of silent readers who almost invariably Vote within a few hours, some within minutes of each new posting, but they never leave a comment. These are all readers with no posted works, and I’ve thought it might be shyness preventing them from commenting.

3 Likes

There is also the possibility that those readers don’t know how to comment via the app. When I was first on Wattpad, I had no idea. I asked a friend how to, and of course, felt silly afterwards because it was so simple :confused:

3 Likes

Yes it’s a high possibility especially when you are using a new application :innocent::innocent:

1 Like