Best Horror Writer of All Time?

Who is the best horror writer of all time? I am jumping back into horror with finally starting writing and will be looking to grab some horror books on my audible collection (I do a lot of traveling and its easier to listen than read). The last horror book I read was 20+ years ago so I have a lot to catch up on.

Thanks in advance,

Leigh

3 Likes

Okay I am going to be a bit biased. Stephen King is by far one of the best, imo, though Poe was a really good horror writer as well.

3 Likes

Why would it being biased if you choose King? unless your related then yes it is! Poe? Edgar Allan? if so very good call.

1 Like

Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. :joy: I love his writing. And yes, Edgar Allen! Absolutely love his work!

1 Like

Yeah, I knew King would come into play, he is on my list to get, but will be looking at Poe too, can imagine the old school atmosphere being very spooky.

I may be slightly biased because King is one of the only horror writers that I’ve read (the other being Robert Louis Stephenson) but he is incredible

2 Likes

Stephen King, no doubt. The first book of his that I read was Pet Cemetery, I think I was about twelve, and I still haven’t forgotten how that made me feel. Every little inch of horror that the characters felt, I felt too. I’m fourteen now and have read a lot of horror books, although nothing measures up to King’s work.

2 Likes

Pet Cemetery is def one of my favorites.

3 Likes

OK thinking King might, well, be the King! I am loving these old world writers too, thanks for the input.

1 Like

Think Pet Cemetery will be my next book to be fair, then maybe a Dean R Koontz, his work always interested me. Thanks.

1 Like

I’d say Edgar Allan Poe!

1 Like

Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King are two of my favorite horror writers. I will admit that Poe’s writing has left me scared a few times when reading them… XD Creepy bastard dude XD Though Pet Cementary is a must read from King. Absolutely freaky… XD

1 Like

I’d say it was Lovecraft, although King is really good as well. But I think Lovecraft mastered to make you feel real dread best.

1 Like

Dean Koontz, Peter Straub

1 Like

We really do like the old world authors on here, going to need to check them out. And yet another King fan. Any read any James Herbert?

I remember starting to read Darkness Comes (Darkfall) by Dean Koontz when I was a teen, but didn’t get far with it, I had very bad concentration then. But not come across Straub yet so will check him out too, thanks.

The list is long !
Impossible to know who is really the best!
But my favorites are Stephen King and Mary Shelley :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love Poe’s horror the most, of course follow by Stephen Kings. Which I think this is what majority would agree with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The best underrated and nearly forgotten horror writer of all time is William Hope Hodgson.

2 Likes

It’s like everyone has a favourite old world and new world author, I thought it would be the usual King, Koontz, Herbert but now, I find this fascinating.

1 Like