Biggest grammar pet peeve?

Do you have one? Do you have five? Name them all and vent away :smile:

I have so many, but I’d say one of my top ones is when someone uses “that” when referring to a living thing.

Example: “She was a girl that hated spinach.”
Should be: “She was a girl who hated spinach.”

Mine has to be when words starting a dialogue tag are capitalized. i.e.,
“I don’t like peanuts,” Was all Carl grumbled.

2 Likes

Ugh, ditto :sob:

1 Like

when your boi has a sentence, that makes all the difference if the sentence has, meaning that changes on the comma or. Period position.

1 Like

“Grammar. Ugh. Its so hard.” She said,

That. That is bad.

There/their/they’re
Its/it’s
Your/you’re
Effect/affect

1 Like

It took me 20 minutes to realise what you did there xD and same. I hate it when their positioning is incorrect or futile.

Yes! :100:

What does it say :joy::joy::joy: I cant understand it

1 Like

On WP i really don’t like longggggg tedious paragraphs. It makes it hard to read when ALL of them are so big.

I Don’t Like When They Capitalize Every Word, Yes I Have Seen It Done.

or when the whole paragraph is bonded or italicized. For no reason. The whole chapter was just written in that format. Not a dream (even so if it has its own chapter it should need it) or a flashback (sometimes you can jus5 give hits it’s not real, and escape the formatting).

I also don’t like when quotation marks aren’t used, it’s written like a play script (but the rest is a book). And when punctuation isn’t used in dialogue.

I might think of more, lol.

2 Likes

The mix ups of then/than, their/there/they’re, would’ve/would of, your/you’re. I stumble every time I see them and it makes me lose focus hardcore. I don’t think I have any other really hardcore pet peeves in English but goddammit, those three above… I have to do a double take every time they occur.

@Calmwolf I’m with you on the massive paragraphs. Ooph, I can’t read a wall of text…

3 Likes

You must hate talking to me then :laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

or sentences like this that really need commas but they don’t have commas yet they should but they don’t and it’s annoying and hard to read and oh did you see the nice weather oh no actually it’s really cold and gray

2 Likes

Not a grammar but more of a stylistic peeve, and that’s indicating thoughts withing thoughts. It’s more prevalent in first person than in third. In first your reader has access to all the narrator’s thoughts (or what the narrator chooses to reveal). There’s no need to indicate that the narrator is thinking when they’re narrating.

And with @Calmwolf on the dialogue thing, script is more of a stylistic thing than a grammar thing, and if someone is going to write their story in script format, at least follow it in proper script format and not roleplaying game text. If you’re planning out your dialogue that’s fine. If you’re not looking criticism them okay. But still, it’s easy to change:

Character: *scratches head * I don’t know

to

“I don’t know,” Character said, scratching her head.

3 Likes

Hahahaha, I do stumble over that particular thing, but it’s okay while it’s in chat. When it’s in books I get suuuuper immersed in the story and something like that can just rip me right out of it.

2 Likes

Thankfully I now have word that catches it for me so my books are probably correct 90% of the time with that one. I wish i knew why I struggle with it. I don’t think it’s related to my dyslexia but who knows. I’ve had people explain the rule to me multiple times but I still always default to then. Word correcting it for me has at least helped train me to catch it on my own sometimes, but not always.

2 Likes

I think it’s a very common mistake that a lot of people do, since “then” and “than” sounds very similar. The only reason I know the difference is because in my head they sound very different. Like really putting an emphasis on the A in “than”. And I learned this sentence.

"I’d rather go swimming than running, then we’ll go for ice cream. "

Don’t know why that one stuck. :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah and for me, I always pronounce than as then, there’s no difference when I say it :laughing: So that very well could be my problem. A lot of things I spell phonetically until spellcheck yells at me (looking at you, foto)

1 Like

When people put “that” in when it’s unneeded.

Also, I just noticed this site saves drafts across multiple devices. I started writing this post on my phone, then I hopped onto my iPad and it was still here. Omg.

1 Like

Just read it without stopping or pausing :sweat_smile:

Yes! Who even has time to capitalise each word?? The italics annoy me too, or even when everything is in bold, or everything is in small letters, even though there is punctuation.

1 Like