Book Critiques [ROUND 1 | ENDED]

feedback-offered
discussion
critiques
help

Hi! I know there’s a lot of people who have already responded, but if you get to my book that would be great. The first 2 chapters are about 5000 words, so that’s fine. I would critique your book but I already have a long list of critiques to do :confused:
Author: Maddie Meech
Title: Otherkind
Genre: Teen Sci-Fi
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/171358306-otherkind
Amount of chapters to critique: 2
Overall chapters critique.
Where to post critiques: PM
Thanks!

Author: @toomuchtohandle21
Book Title: The Record Shop Thief Wears a Jean Jacket
Genre: Teen Fiction
Link: https://my.w.tt/LFgASZuKFT
Amount of Chapters to Critique: Six
Payment completed: Yes
Overall Chapters Critique
Critique sent through private message

Don’t worry, I will eventually get to yours! (And it’s okay, you weren’t really required to fill the payment)

author: ofcourseitriedthat

book title: Burning Blue

genre: Teen Fiction

link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/171597642-burning-blue

amount of chapters to critique : 2

payment completed (only for those who want two+ chapters critiqued): [yes ] / [no]

each chapter critique or overall chapters critique: each chapter critique

where do you want me to post the critiques (private message, book, here): private message

thanks in advance if you accept this!

author: disloyalbuffalo

book title: The Gift of Death

genre: Mystery/Thriller

link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/167758115-the-gift-of-death-season-one

amount of chapters to critique : just the prologue

payment completed (only for those who want two+ chapters critiqued): I’ll give you a shoutout, but since the chapters are really long I don’t expect you to read all of it.

each chapter critique or overall chapters critique: Each

where do you want me to post the critiques (private message, book, here): PM

author: onemillionberries

book title: The Meaning of Love

genre: Teen Fiction

link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/174706687-the-meaning-of-love

amount of chapters to critique : First 2

payment completed (only for those who want two+ chapters critiqued): [yes ] / [no]

each chapter critique or overall chapters critique: Each chapter

where do you want me to post the critiques (private message, book, here): PM

author: @creakysmirk

book title: Elowen’s Yellow Cloth

genre: action, romance

link: clicky

amount of chapters to critique : first 2

payment completed (only for those who want two+ chapters critiqued): -

each chapter critique or overall chapters critique: each

where do you want me to post the critiques (private message, book, here): pm please! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback! I know my pacing is slow, but my writing style is just like that. I’d rather reveal stuff slowly than thrust readers into a fast-paced story with no room to get their bearings. I know that’s not for everyone, but I feel like they can skim if they want to :rofl:

Feel free to keep on reading my story if you wish :smile:

It was honestly good though! :heart: I would love to keep reading, but as you can see, I have a whole list full! (I’ll try when I can though)

Also, do you mind removing the “request” comment, it’s just because the thread is more organized that way (thank you!)

(Side note: I did comment on your book, if you’re wonder if I did)

Got it! :smile:

Thank you gem dear.

No problem! Hope the critiques helped

8/10 grammar

You only have minor grammar errors. You might wanna check over that, however your writing is amazing!

8/10 character engagement

Your characters’ personalities are pretty realistic, but in some cases, they’re a bit too predictable. Maybe try changing things up a bit?

6.5/10 book pacing

Your book pacing is okay, however, in some cases, it goes a bit too fast. The events rush through the reader and it’s a bit hard to catch up and fathom what’s happening. Take a step back and expand on certain areas.

9.5/10 structure

Your structure is okay, not bad at all. But there’s room for improvement. Add a little bit of you into it.

7.5/10 reader engagement

Your book is really interesting, but your book pacing lowers the score. Correcting the book pacing will increase your reader’s engagement! Great job, I had a fun time reading!

6/10 cover

Your cover is pretty good, the only problem is with the title into two separate parts, going down vertically, not horizontally. This looks off since your title is so long, which brings me to the second point. Your title is a bit too long. You can solve the cover problems if you shorten your title. This isn’t a part of the rubric but, you might wanna also fix the title? (Or at least just consider) You shouldn’t add that much info for the title. If you feel that you really want to keep the words, add the information to the description instead, and crop the title. (e.g. The Record Shop Thief, or Thief with a Jean Jacket- these are a bit long, but still can fit comfortably in your cover page.)

Questions? Concerns?

(credit to @shmihaa for helping)

hey because you cut my request (i think, can’t see a review for my book but i might just be blind) can i request again when you open up again?

Yup!

Thank you!