Book suggestions for a certain age group

Okay, so my brother is turning 10 soon and I want to gift him a book/series that he’d be able to enjoy and comprehend well. He’s been reading a lot of Geronimo Stilton and while I’m not against that, I really want him to explore new stuff because he’s got a passion for reading.

I tried giving him a book by Agatha Christie, but he said that he didn’t understand anything and ditched it.

So… any suggestions?

Aru Shah and the end of time by Roshani Chokshi.
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.
Anything Rick Riordan.
Furthermore by Thaereh Mafi.
Harry Potter?

Don’t know what you want him to read, but by experience don’t push too hard to make him change his taste. 10 isn’t very old and teenage years surely will influence his taste, naturally.

Definitely anything by rick riordan as suggested by @fabelwoods. I think Harry Potter might be a little advanced. Also remarkable by Lizzie K foley.

Also, anything by Enid Blyton

A to Z mystery series by Ron roy (this might be a bit simple though)

Deltora Quest. Definitely.
It’s a classical fantasy. A bit older, it was a big deal about 15 years ago, but it played a HUGE role in my childhood and it was one of the books which guided me into reading. The books are short and easy to read, yet the story is gripping (at least for a child), characters memorable and it has some great ideas and plot twists.

Thank you for the suggestions!
I don’t want him to read any one kind of book in particular, I just want to ensure that he gets to explore different genres till he comes across something he likes. Or maybe it’s too early for that? haha

He’s actually interested in the HP series and he’s read all the Enid Blyton books he’s come across at home. A-Z mystery series was something he liked but didn’t bother completing.

Thanks for the ‘remarkable’ recommendation though!

Haven’t heard of it, but I’ll look into it! Thanks!

No problem and woah, he has read a lot of books! 0_O

Anyway, good luck book hunting! (:

Trust me, it’s a hidden gem :slight_smile: I was DIGGING it when I was 10 or so. The author’s imagination is immense and some of her creatures still linger in my memories to this day.

I looked it up, and apparently there’s an anime adaptation!? Wow! If there was any doubt about him not liking the series, it’s gone now ^ _ ^

Yep, there is :slight_smile: But, as always, the book is much better.

I mean, there’s no rush and you can probably suggest books to him but they may be just laying around into he feel ready for them (nothing wrong with that). You can consider taking him to a library and make him browse different genres to see if he find something he likes. Having an option and choice for yourself can be a key.

Also, the Doctor Proctor series by Jo Nesbø. They’re are real fun.
Pages & Co. By Anna James.
The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare+

Geneally middle grade should initially fit his age.

If you want, I have one more suggestion and that’s Ranger’s Apprentice and the spin-off Brotherband series. It’s for all age groups; suitable for children, but even my mom loves reading it. It’s a medieval fantasy. There are no supernatural themes or creatures (save for one or two exceptions), but it’s still incredibly gripping and fast-paced. Also, the humor of this series is brilliant. There’s nothing funnier than ranger sass.

Edit: Ok, whoops, I just realized the last post was 20+ days ago. Sorry!!

I think most of my suggestions might have already be mentioned, but oh well.

• Percy Jackson series - they’re fun, action-packed, funny, light-hearted yet relatable, and easy to read!

• Harry Potter series - the illustrated versions are GORGEOUS, and the pictures make the writing a lot easier to take in. Granted, they’re sort of expensive, but they’re more like collector’s items so I guess it makes sense.

• Charlotte’s Web - a classic; it’s kind of tragic and emotional but has a wonderful story, and I think younger kids tend to like the talking animals (or I did, at least)

• The Captain Underpants books - I have no idea what they’re about but the boys in my grade 5 class used to go nuts over these books. This and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

• Avatar: The Last Airbender - I’ve never read them myself but the tv series is amazing, so I’m thinking why not give them a try.

• I don’t have any more specific titles but I know comics, graphic novels, mangas, and illustrated books are pretty big right now, no matter how old you are. Readers of all ages love them!

Thank you for the recommendations! My brother has already read Charlotte’s Web (it was his novel for school last year), all the Wimpy Kid books and he’s started the Harry Potter series. He read all the manga I have in my bookshelf on a daily basis.

As for Percy Jackson, I ended up gifting him the first book of the Heroes of Olympus series! He loved it.

Can an ambassador close this thread, please?

Closed as per request

Omaima - Community Ambassador

closed #19

unlisted #20