- Remain with 2k character limit posts (short extracts, approx. 350 words)
- Increase the character limit to 15k (approx. 3k words) and allow for full chapters
N O T E
Since these forums have a section for games I am no longer sure if this thread belongs in IYW or the Games/Story Services section. Since this thread has survived review in the past and is actively geared towards improving writing through critique I thought it would make sense if it remained here but, if this thread now belongs in the Games/Story Services section, please feel free to move it.
W E L C O M E
Welcome to the extract edition of Brutally Honest Reviews! In contrast to the Chapter Edition counterpart, this edition of Wattpad’s BHR will still focus on shorter extracts and therefore more in-depth critique. Here, a maximum of 500 words will be allowed. This therefore makes it more useful for those who want more in-depth critiques of their work.
*Only honest reviews are given here, so this is in no way intended for those who are sensitive to criticism.
- Rate the post above you out of ten. Remember to be honest. Don’t sugar coat anything. If you see any mistakes, point them out. If there’s anything that could be added or changed, tell them. Don’t give them more than 8 unless it’s flawless writing. There’s always something to improve on.
- Add the title of your book + chapter title and submit up to 500 words of any part of your story. The person under you rates it.
R U L E S
- Do not be rude/ mean! Although we’re all being honest in this thread you don’t have the right to say things like “This is absolute trash” or “You should give up on writing because you’ll never be good at it.”
- Don’t be upset about your review if it wasn’t what you were hoping for. These people took time out of their day to read your excerpt and give you pointers on how to get better, so be respectful.
- Critique before you post. You can’t expect someone to rate yours thoroughly if you don’t do the same. If you see anyone doing this, don’t rate their excerpt until they do their fair share. Rate the post above theirs instead.
- It’s recommended to post your review, then your excerpt. Doing it the other way around may lead to you being skipped.
- If the thread dies before you get a review, feel free to bump.
- Please, unless necessary, avoid double rating. Double rating is where you critique the person who critiqued you. This isn’t recommended as it often leads to bias in the ratings. Plus, we don’t want any one person to monopolise the thread.
- All critique should contain some positives regardless of whether it’s supposed to be blunt or not. It’s proper critiquing style.
- Summary boxes are optional. However, to make scrolling easier, they are recommended. The code for summary boxes is listed further down this thread.
WORD COUNT LIMIT: All posted extracts should fit under 500 words. Feel free to post in parts. Redirect to Chapter Edition for a longer word count limit.
U S E F U L C O D E S
This is the title (CLICK TO OPEN)
This is the extract.
<details><summary>This is the title (CLICK TO OPEN)</summary> This is the extract.</details>
<font color="#FF0F0F">Red.</font> <font color="#C00FFF">Purple.</font>
<hr> = Horizontal rule, as seen above (the separation line)