Business side of writing

What are some good online resources for looking into the business side of the writing industry?

I don’t know many as I’ve never dealt with that, but I know you could try a free trial of skillshare and Jenna Moreci has a whole class on marketing for your book. There would probably be others on there too. But otherwise sorry not much help.

@XimeraGrey would probably be more help :calmwolf:

Thanks for the advice

Definitely depends on which business you’re looking into. Self publishing? Traditional publishing? Ghost writing? Screen writing? Writer-for-hire? Journalism? Other? :slight_smile:

For marketing, there are tons of books and online courses available – they tend to be quite pricey and come with mixed results. Most offer free first lessons to catch a glimpse at the mechanics around the course. However, in the end, it involves lots of trial and error – and a big enough budget to support that.

There are also apps that help with insights on choosing the right categories and finding a niche – again, there are some I tried (like KDP Rocket and Kindle Spy) and some I dismissed flat out because they are ridiculously expensive.

What I do find beneficial is Bookfunnel for ARC distribution and to build my mailing list. I use MailerLite to track my mailing list subscribers and send out my newsletter. The latter offers a free version to get you started. I designed my website myself and swear by the YouTube tutorials of Tyler Moore.

There are no shortcuts when it comes to the business side of things and you will have to split your time at least 50:50 for marketing and writing. So time management and organization is important. Yet, the publishing market is constantly changing and there is no guarantee that the things you find as the “golden rules” online are still working.

Example: make the first book in your series free – hasn’t worked for me in years since those readers who are on the lookout for this type of bargain now only read free books (because there’re so many of those) and rarely buy a sequel. As a matter of fact, they download any free book they find and often don’t even open it. Yet, a lot of the advice you get in the marketing courses still suggests it – and maybe it even still works for some people. Like I said, in the end, it’s mostly trial and error.

I would recommend Publishers Weekly and Publishers Marketplace, primarily for trad publishing, but Publishers Weekly includes some about self publishing. “The Hot Sheet” newsletter from Jane Friedman is fantastic. And Kris Rusch’s blog kriswrites.com is a fantastic source for business topics, especially for self publishing.

Not everything I mentioned is free, but I don’t know cost.