〚 C O L O S S E U M 〛 - A New Writing Prompt Battle Game [ CLOSED FOR NEW ADMISSIONS! ]

6 Likes

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏʟᴏꜱꜱᴇᴜᴍ?

The Colosseum is a writing prompt game that focuses exclusively on fighting and battles. One of its intentions is to help Wattpad users write out battle scenes since even I can find it hard sometimes.

ʜᴏᴡ ᴅᴏ ɪ ᴘʟᴀʏ?

You simply look at the most recent battle prompt posted for your character and write away! It’s simple :slight_smile:

Although, before that, you must submit a character to be placed on the Colosseum’s Waiting List. We’ll get into that later.

ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ᴅᴏ ɪ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴡʀɪᴛᴇ?

You can write as much as you want! Although you must write more than a single line of text! (If you can write a battle response out in a line, you have my respect!) On the other hand, you don’t need to write a whole chapter. Just enough that you’re satisfied with what you’ve written for your character :slight_smile:

ʜᴏᴡ ᴅᴏ ɪ sᴜʙᴍɪᴛ ᴀ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ?

You simply fill out a short form detailing your character. This can be seen via the drop-down menu below. Fill it out fully!

ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ

Wattpad Username:

Name: (including aliases)
Species:
Appearance: (you can link images as well)
Personality: (at least 3 traits briefly explained)
Backstory: (Just a few lines. You don’t need to write a lot here.)

BASE STATS; 1-10, a maximum total of 35

Strength: measuring physical power and carrying capacity
Stamina: measuring endurance, stamina, and good health
Dexterity: measuring agility, balance, coordination, and reflexes
Intelligence: measuring deductive reasoning, knowledge, memory, logic, and rationality
Charisma: measuring force of personality, persuasiveness, leadership and successful planning

Weapons: (if any; can include a picture link)
Special Abilities: (maximum of 4 abilities! Make sure to briefly explain them. Abilities will be added as you go up the ranks.)
Fighting Style: (are they aggressive? Passive? etc.)
Quote: (do they have a ‘victory’ line, for example?)

ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀs ᴄᴀɴ ɪ sᴜʙᴍɪᴛ?

I would advise against more than 2. It’s a lot of prompts for one person to reply to and characters for both me and you to be aware of. You can always ask to dismiss a character from the Colosseum, so I can remove it from the list.

ɪs ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀɴʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ɪ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴄᴏɴsɪᴅᴇʀ ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴡʀɪᴛɪɴɢ ᴍʏ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ?

Of course. Firstly, the obvious: your character can’t be overpowered or underpowered. This IS an arena testing your character’s strength. I can’t have the personification of God walk into the Colosseum and easily win against every opponent. But I also can’t have your average Joe across the road get beat to death in less than 2 seconds. If your character falls into any of these categories, then I’ll inform you about it as soon as possible, so we can meet a middle ground that you agree with :slight_smile:

ɪs ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢ sʏsᴛᴇᴍ ғᴏʀ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʀᴏᴍᴘᴛ ᴏᴘᴘᴏɴᴇɴᴛs?

Yes. They will be briefly explained in this post, but the full list of ranks will be shown in a post below!

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋ ᴅᴏ ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ᴇɴᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʀᴇɴᴀ?

Depending on how powerful you decide to make your character, you will be placed in one of the ‘New Champion Ranks’. These ranks are MUNIFEX, VELITES, and TRARII. All ranks can be viewed in a post below. You will always be placed in one of these ranks when a new character is submitted. You work up the ranks by completing prompts; you will be notified when you go up a rank.

You may be tempted to make your character as powerful as possible to start on the highest of the beginner ranks. Please bear in mind that the prompts get a little harder to win the higher up you are, so you better be confident!

ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴀɴʏ ʀᴀɴᴋꜱ ᴄᴀɴ ɪ ɢᴏ ᴜᴘ ᴀᴛ ᴏɴᴄᴇ?

You can go up a maximum of a single rank after getting enough points. You don’t need many points to go up for the lower ranks, but you need a little more to move up the higher ranks.

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴀɴᴋ ɴᴀᴍᴇꜱ ᴍᴇᴀɴ?

For the character ranks, the names are the army ranks used in the Ancient Roman Army. There’s a short description underneath each one in yellow text if you’re interested. The black text is in relation to the Battle Prompt Game, so please take the time to read over it. For the Prompt Opponent Ranks, they’re named after Roman Mythological Beasts. There is a lot of cross over between Ancient Greek and Ancient Roman Mythology though.

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏʟᴏssᴇᴜᴍ’s ᴡᴀɪᴛɪɴɢ ʟɪsᴛ?

This is a list where I place all characters that have been accepted to participate in the Colosseum. All new characters get a number that will be their reference. You can remember it, but this will be available in a post below if you do forget. Older/successful warriors will get different references, but this will be explained later :slight_smile:

The purpose of the Waiting List is so that I can easily assign each character to a prompt individually. This means you get a favorable prompt to write against. This avoids you having no chance to win against the Emperor’s chosen champion, making the challenge null and void.

ʜᴏᴡ ᴅᴏ ɪ ᴡɪɴ?

Write a clever, imaginative or just plain entertaining response! Honestly just write how you want to. You also don’t really need to defeat the opponent to rise up the ranks. You will be notified of your win when all prompts have been replied to or if the time limit has passed.

ɪ ʟᴏsᴛ! ɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴀᴛ?

A new prompt will be updated soon afterward, so you can reply to that one when it’s available. When you suffer a loss, you don’t lose points if your character is within the lower ranks. If you’re higher up, you may be subject to lowering a rank.

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴏ ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ᴡɪɴ?

You get points applied to your character, and their social standing within the Empire will be raised. This also means that challenges get harder to win, but the rewards get greater too! If your character wins enough prompts, they no longer have a reference number, but earn titles.

This will be their ‘code name’ of sorts and is how the Empire’s population will know them as. Because names are formulated by the public, you won’t get a chance to pick your title! If your character becomes popular enough, they may earn titles reserved only for those to be considered as the Emperor’s most valiant champions. Your character may also become a prompt for other users to battle against!

ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛꜱ ᴅᴏ ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ꜰᴏʀ ᴡɪɴɴɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛꜱ ᴅᴏ ɪ ʟᴏꜱᴇ ꜰᴏʀ ʟᴏꜱɪɴɢ?

You always earn 2 points for winning a prompt. Reach a certain total and you go up a rank. You don’t lose any points if you are in the bottom 6 ranks. That means if you are in ranks HASTAII, IMPERIAE or DEUS, you will be subject to losing 1 point for every lost prompt. Lose enough and you may drop a rank.

ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛꜱ ᴅᴏ ɪ ꜱᴛᴀʀᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ᴇɴᴛᴇʀ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴀɴᴋ?

When entering a higher rank from a lower one, you start with no points. If you have fallen a rank, you start with 2 points less than you need to re-enter the rank you just dropped from. Meaning you only need to win one prompt to go back up.

ᴡɪʟʟ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛꜱ ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴏʀ ʜᴏᴡ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴘᴏɪɴᴛꜱ ɪ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ɢᴏ ᴜᴘ ᴀ ʀᴀɴᴋ?

For the first question, yes. The points you have accumulated will be shown on the waiting list. For the second part, you will not know how many points you need to go up a rank. Though I can assure you that you don’t need to win 10 times to go up a rank, even on the higher ranks.

ᴡʜᴀᴛ’ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀʟʟ ᴏꜰ ꜰᴀᴍᴇ ꜰᴏʀ?

The Hall of Fame is for characters and their users who have achieved a rank of HASTAII or higher. They are the Empire’s most prominent champions and are formally recognized by the Emperor himself!

ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴅᴏ ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ᴀ ‘ᴛɪᴛʟᴇ’?

When you reach rank HASTAII, you earn an official title for your character. This title will encompass your character’s abilities and personality overall, so it’s something to work towards in the Colosseum!

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴs ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ɢᴇᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʜɪɢʜᴇsᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋ?

The highest rank is DEUS.

Apart from more challenging and unique battle prompts to write against, if there are other users within your rank, there may be an opportunity for player vs player battles. Plus, there may be a mission assigned to your group by the Emperor to defeat a big threat in the Empire, such as an organization or epic monster!

ʀ ᴜ ʟ ᴇ s
  1. No roleplaying. You can’t directly interact with other Colosseum user’s characters and you shouldn’t. To avoid the closure of this thread, please adhere to Wattpad’s guidelines and DON’T ROLEPLAY.

2. Be nice. This is just a game and should be considered as such. You can’t always win, and you shouldn’t be disrespectful to any other user for any reason. There’s zero tolerance for such behavior, so don’t do it.

3. Be active! If you’ve applied a character to the Colosseum, it is expected that you’ll be active enough to reply to prompts within the time frame. I understand you can’t always be on Wattpad. To accommodate for this, all prompts will have a full week, or seven days time period.
    But if you miss an assigned prompt you could lose points for your character. If you miss multiple prompts with no sign of you coming back, your character will be dismissed from the Colosseum.
    You have been warned!

4. (cont.) For clarification, I’m following GMT+0 or UTC+0 time (UK). All prompts are to be submitted by 11.59pm of the stated deadline via this time zone.

ʀᴜʟᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇʟɪɴᴇs ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴀᴅᴅᴇᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴍʏ ᴅɪsᴄʀᴇᴛɪᴏɴ.

5 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

THIS IS AN ACTUAL EXAMPLE OF A PROMPT FROM THE THREAD

another example will be placed below if you are still unsure as to how the game works. please don’t hesitate to ask me if you’re still unsure. that’s what i’m here for after all!

PROMPT POST

PLAYER’S PROMPT RESPONSE

RESULTS POST

It’s best to end your response in a cliff-hanger. The results will be announced (latest) by the end of the prompt’s time limit.

Of course, you can end your response in a defeat or victory for your character if you so wish. But bear in mind the results may announce the opposite in a sudden turn of events! You decide the total amount of words to write but try not to write too little or too much! A tiny paragraph doesn’t give enough material for a decision to be made, and long responses could provide too much detail, so be weary! You can write in third or first person. Or in whatever style you feel like!

And yes, you are meant to write the opponent into the response like I demonstrated above. This is meant to help you formulate a battle scene for yourself. Also, I can’t role play with your character. It’s all part of the fun! Write your opponent as you see fit, BUT keep in mind their level and abilities posted above. Failure to do so severely hinders your chances! The opponents selected aren’t meant to be overpowered or underpowered in relation to your character. So, don’t even think of posting a response that results in your character ‘one-shotting’ the enemy!

You don’t need to write about all your character’s/opponent’s abilities either! Just what you feel is relevant to your prompt response.

THIS IS A QUICK EXAMPLE. MORE DETAIL WILL BE ADDED IN ACTUAL PROMPT ASSIGNMENTS, BUT THIS IS HOW THE GAME WILL MAINLY PLAY OUT

╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Put your hands together for ___________, the Gunslinger of the Empire.

Threat Level:

Abilities:

Gun Barrage (explanation I place here)

10-second speed boost (explanation I place here)

Overload (explanation I place here)

Bullet of Death (explanation I place here)

Arena: Empire’s Colosseum

Prompt for #12: _________ had just been hit by your attack: ______, 15 minutes into the battle. It took the wind out of him, but he couldn’t give up now. Unbeknownst to you, he had been filling his gun with bullets needed to shoot the ‘Bullet of Death’. The onlookers of the fight were getting rowdy, as the battle was seemingly going nowhere. What does your character do?

══════════════════════════════════════════════

Response from You, using your character #12 (reference number) called ‘Mumei’:

Mumei saw that her attack had put a dent into her opponent, seeing him buckle over in pain, blood spilling endlessly from his jaw. She only needed a second to catch her own breath but ran at him full speed with her own gun drawn. Because she had no idea of the Gunslinger’s secret move, she didn’t hesitate in charging up her shot, aiming to knee him in the face swiftly afterward to finish the battle. _______ then looked up with Mumei inches away from him, a cunning grin on his face. The blood continued to drip from his lips as they curled.

“You made a mistake, sweetheart.”

It only took a moment. The sound of a bullet was followed swiftly by a sharp pain that shook Mumei from the inside out, sweeping her off her feet to land face up.

It was a sudden turn of events; moments ago, she could practically hear the bells of victory shouting her success. Now she was lying on the floor, watching the sky in complete silence. It took her a second to fully realize her entire body was now numb from head to toe. She couldn’t even feel where the bullet hit her anymore (you continue from here or stop)

╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 Likes

-PROMPT LIST-

EILEEN (29/03) // AGUE (29/03) // ORLENA (29/03) // HE XINYA (30/03) // CARMINE (03/04)

R E F E R E N C E // P O I N T S // N A M E // T Y P E // R A N K // S T A T U S // F O R M // U S E R

#01 // 2 // Mai // physical // TRARII // assigned (AGUE 29/03) // FORM // @PaperThinSkin14

#02 // 2 // Abel Firefly // mixed // PILUS PRIOR // unassigned // FORM // @AlteruneSC

#03 // 0 // Walker #19880 // physical // PILUS PRIOR // response FB (ORLENA29/03) // FORM // @w41k3r_19880

#04 // 0 // Rai Storm // magic // PILUS PRIOR // response FB (ORLENA 29/03) // FORM // @GlitchandGlitz

#05 // 0 // Tara Fullmetal // physical // VELITES // assigned (AGUE 29/03) // FORM // @AlteruneSC

#06 // 2 // Colton Bernheardt & Tyler Bennet Featherstone // magic & physical // TRARII // response (EILEEN 29/03) // FORM // @Mikizumi

#07 // 0 // Aix // magic // TRARII // response (EILEEN 29/03) // FORM // @flyxity

#08 // 0 // Moon // mixed // TRARII // response (EILEEN 29/03) // FORM // @MagicalMahnoor

#09 // 0 // Evander Faust // mixed // VELITES // response FB (EILEEN 29/03) // FORM // @starches

#10 // 0 // Skye // physical // VELITES // response FB (EILEEN 29/03) // FORM // @LexiB09

#11 // 0 // Holly Lucias // mixed // TRARII // response (AGUE 29/03) // FORM // @splicingtime

#12 // 0 // Jason // physical // VELITES // response FB (HE XINYA 30/03) // FORM // @DollyDontGo

#13 // 0 // Flyx // physical // MUNIFEX // unassigned // FORM // @flyxity

#14 // 0 // Octavian Faustus // mixed // TRARII // unassigned // FORM // @PercabethFanBoy1

#15 // 0 // Hannah Davenport // physical // VELITES // response FB (CARMINE 03/04) // FORM // @NovelWritingIsHard

LUKA FB @GlitchandGlitz

4 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

beep-boop issa opennnn.
lowkey hope this doesn’t flop lol I spent too much time on this…

might tag some people tomorrow lmao :upside_down_face:

this is a super cool idea!! I’m personally not one to join stuff like this but I hope it goes well :smiley: my inner Latin grammar nazi is crying though lmao

1 Like

craaaaaaaaapppp what did I do? (i only studied Latin for 3 years, like 4 years ago so I’m basically more illiterate in it now than I was back then)

1 Like

not much, just a few spelling errors nobody’s gonna notice unless they’re far too much of a history buff and actually know what they’re supposed to be (ie. me, probably nobody else)
Idk if you care if some ranks are singular and some are plural.

2 Likes

see I wouldn’t even know if they had spelling errors or the difference between singular and plural words at this point. I can count on the history buff calling me out though :joy: idk if you’re planning on joining but thanks for the interest man.

1 Like

Hannibalanime

mood

1 Like

i should start tagging ppl shouldn’t i?

Is bumping still a thing lol