Calling public speakers and those who took public speaking in highschool and college

Any advice, tips or things to remember when it comes to public speaking. I have my first mini speech tomorrow in front of my class of 25 and im kind of stressed. Anything would really be beneficial for me.

@SVTSwrites: I think you’ll be able to help out with this. :blush:

2 Likes

Pacing. Don’t speed through it. Keep an even pace throughout the speech, hitting your points. Don’t ramble on either. Those were my biggest things. Also make sure to give eye contact occasionally to engage with the audience.

On my cards, I write how many seconds I wanted to spend on each topic then I took up a timer (my iPhone with me). Seriously, rehearsing and timing is the biggest cohesion. Having a good outline is the foundation too.

4 Likes

thanks!

Right before you go up, tense up every muscle in your body and then relax. When you get on stage before speaking, take a deep breath and let it out (but don’t make it obvious).

If you mess up, improvise. Don’t backtrack and fix it if you can keep going instead. Make sure you practice a few times beforehand.

Watch your stance and movements. All gestures should have a purpose and should go from your side to the gesture and right back to your side. Stand with one foot slightly in front of the other, and keep your weight on your back leg. Keep your chin level with the ground. Back straight, shoulders back, hands hanging loosely by your sides.

Make sure you speak loud and evenly. Don’t start out loud and get really quiet. Make sure you are using the full range of your voice and not speaking monotone.

If you’re nervous, don’t show it. If you aren’t confident, pretend that you are and sell that lie to your class. Act as if it were impossible for you to fail or mess up.

sorry I’m taking a speech class now and that’s all we’ve gotten through so far

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag hun!

1 Like

Gosh, I hated this class…

But I would suggest record yourself and practicing in the mirror. Be able to bear looking yourself in the eyes in that mirror and say what you need to say. On important points, I noticed that I tended to gesture my hand toward the audience before bringing it back. It was like a tell for when I’m saying something that is a key point.

1 Like

I took communications and speech back in middle school. I can give you some tips on how to give a good speech.

1. Posture: don’t fidget. Don’t have your hands in your pockets, and don’t bounce back and forth on your feet. Keep a firm stance, and don’t fidget or meddle to much.

2. Eye contact: don’t stare at one place the whole time and don’t stare at your notes/speech/presentation/whatever the whole time. Try to make contact with all sides of the room as it’ll make you seem much more engaged and involved. Don’t look at EVERY single person, but look at all areas of the room.

3. Pacing and Enunciation: pacing is something I myself struggle with as I talk exceptionally fast (I was nicknamed the female Eminem back in communications class, haha). Don’t talk too fast, but don’t talk too slow either. Keep a good pace, and enunciate your words so that they’re clear and you can be understood.

4. Tone: Do not talk like you’re a robot. Have some emotion in there, make it seem like you’re having fun speaking! Don’t have a monotone voice, and try to appear engaged and excited to speak. (of course, not too excited.)

5. Projection: this one I see a LOT of people around me struggling with. Make sure you project your voice so that other people can hear what you’re saying. I’ve seen a lot of instances where the teacher is like “did anyone hear what they just said?” and half the class was like, “nooooo.” My teacher always said, “YELL LIKE YOU MEAN IT. YELL!” Raise your voice. Don’t be afraid to speak up.

6. Memorization and flow: Try to memorize as much of your speech as you possibly can. Go through it, and try to memorize as many key points or sentences you wrote down. In this case, you don’t want to look at your notes or presentation the whole time, so if you memorize as much you can, it’ll improve the flow. Of course, you can look at your notes, but try to keep that to a minimum.

7. PRACTICE: This is probably the most important one. Practice, practice, practice! You’ve got to practice in order to improve. Stand in front of your mirror and present! Present in front of your family and get pointers from them. I always had my brother stand in front of me and present, and I’d correct him on any mistakes that he made or any improvement that could be possibly made. Practice is the key.

That’s what I got. I hope this helps!

4 Likes

I didn’t take a class but I’m a nervous speaker and I did pretty well with some tips from people.

• Moderate your voice, not too load, but don’t whisper either. Try and change your tone according to what you’re saying. Dont be monitored

• Stand straight, don’t fidget, if you act confident you may feel better and others won’t notice you shaking. If you are allowed you you can walk from one side to the other or step forward to emphasize things.

• You can move your hands to make gestures

• Eye contact has been covered…

• Pause when you look down. Pause, look at your cue cards, look up, and begin speaking again

• My only other tips is to just start. Once you are up there exist begin. If you’ve practiced you’ll know what you are saying it it’s like automatic. Keep going and then feel the flow of the words. Focus on your words, not the people around you :slight_smile:

• Good luck! You’ve got this :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Here’s some tips or things that may help, but like some may work for some but not others, everyone has different things that works for them.

• Speak louder than you think is appropriate, we often think we’re louder than we actually are.

• Sometimes it helps to remember that a lot of people hate public speaking so like if you’re not perfect at it, people totally understand/relate

• Fake confidence. You may be nervous but pretend like you’re the most pro speaker

• Pretend nobody is there except for your best friend or a friend or somebody and you want to tell them this thing.

• Remember that you want your voice to be heard and this information you’re giving is important and people will benefit from hearing it. You have a mission here to help people.

• For getting the right volume to be heard, try pretending you’re talking to a person sitting in the back. If it helps, imagine your friend is there in the back and is like I wanna know what you’re saying, I gotta be able to hear you!

• I don’t know what’s allowed for you in terms of notes, what works best for me is an outline

Barbies are not good examples for young kids today. (Opening/main Argument)

1. Body Image - skinny shape
    • kids age X-X are most impressionable
    • It is proven by X that kids learn from example
  2. Perfection
    • “Ideal” image
    • flawless
    • no unique quirks
  3. Lack if Diversity
    • Most are generically white
    • There are other race Barbies, but more rare (X% of barbies are white)
    • Other race Barbies are portrayed incorrectly (Examples)

In conclusion, Barbies are a bad influence for kids

• it promotes the idea that there is a perfect body shape
  • it encourages the idea that people should be flawless
  • Barbies do not represent diversity.

*Disclaimer: I have no idea if any of this is true, I just made this up as an example only

Just a rough example. Not too many details, but reminds you what you wanted to talk about and all your sources/stats

1 Like

My professor grades on eye contact… how much eye contact you make. It sucks for me cause I hate eye contact so I failed my first speech…

So make EYE CONTACT as much as you can

1 Like

A trick is sometimes looking at people’s foreheads. It looks like you’re looking right at people’s eyes, but you’re not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I might have to do that :joy:
I’ll try to remember that for my next speech :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I don’t really get nervous because I love attention but I do get excited and speak fast so I was instructed to to take a breath between thoughts, make it seem fluid by making eye contact around the room for a moment so those you are speaking to feel engaged and it doesnt make it look like youre holding your breath trying to figure it out.

Also, if youre using cars read the whole paragraph so you can recite naturally.

1 Like

Honestly, have fun. I used to love my communication classes. We all really had a good time and even when we messed up, it was fine because we were just having fun ^^

To slow yourself down, concentrate on your consonants

Know your points, but don’t try to be word-for-word on delivery (unless it is a recitation of a poem or dramatic piece).

Tell yourself that everyone is rooting for you to do well. Tell it often.

Even if it’s not persuasive, build your speech in passion.

Vary your tone.

When closing in on the end, lower your volume, lower your tone, slow your rate.

(Theater arts and speech teacher with a degree in Theater Arts [among other things])

1 Like

No problem. One of my least favorite classes in college but I survived and you will too :heart:

1 Like

I did that today but then another kid had these huge eyes and kept looking me right in the eyes. It was so cringy and I lost my train of thought and instead of being a minute long (as the minimum) speech it was like…30 seconds because I got really distracted. Yep…I fudged up. But hey my teacher said I was confident sounding…and I was the exact opposite.

2 Likes

ah I see. That’s alright, public speaking is one of those things you have to do quite a bit to feel more confident about it. But good job! And sometimes it does feel like you did worse than you did, I feel that all the time. But yeah, kudos! You deserve a cupcake. :cupcake: :partying_face:

1 Like

There’s always that one kid I swear :joy: those dang chibi kids :joy: