Can a person hate public speaking yet have no trouble singing in front of others?

What the topic basically says. I have a supporting character with social anxiety disorder and few other things. I just want to make sure this could be a thing for my character and not something that’s made up. My idea for him is that he feels more at ease if he can sing, yet he despises actually speaking because it’s not the same as singing? Does that even make sense? idk.

Help me out. :sob:

So I hate public speaking with a passion (which is ironic because I’ve done lectures)

But singing is better. It feels really bad right up until I get on stage and start singing, and then I’m completely fine. I’m never nervous when I have to play the clarinet in front of others. Not jitters or anything.

So it’s definitely possible. It’s all about comfort zones.

Yeah that makes sense to me. I am that way. Singing is something I’ve been doing my whole life, I did it before I had really bad anxiety and continued throughout. While it did get harder, it was easier to tune other things out while I was singing, such as the audience and the fear of being judged. I also know that it’s something I’m good at and been told that I’m good at it. While it sounds foolish, what people say has an effect whether I like it or not.

It’s definitely possible. It’s easier to get lost in a song already knowing all the lyrics, than it is to try and remember what you’re trying to say standing in front of a bunch of people, getting tongue tied, unable to get lost in the moment.

I would say no, but I think it depends on the person? It’s kind of hard to answer… :rofl:

As someone who struggles with social anxiety and hates public speaking, I’m also not a fan of singing in front of others. Honestly, I hate being on a stage because I get so nervous over it. :rofl: But then again, if he’s been singing in front of others for a while and he’s gotten kind of comfortable about it, it’d make sense if he has no trouble over it (even if he hates public speaking).

I’ve actually been in a school play before and I’ve been an extra in a TV show (where I actually did have lines), and while I did feel nervous on both accounts, I was kind of comfortable in a way because I had practice beforehand. In fact, both kind of helped me get out of my shell a little more (but of course, never “cured” me).

Absolutely, though I’d buy it more if your character was a trained singer / did it enough that they considered their singing voice an instrument. When I play it’s completely different from speaking, even if I’m playing in front of a big audience. It’s better rehearsed, I’m playing someone else’s work (instead of speaking my own words), and there are often other musicians supporting me (vs getting hung out to dry on my own).

I don’t mind public speaking but I’m not that great at it due to speech impediments, but NOOO WAY would I ever try to sing or perform in any way, so it’s definitely possible.

Yeah it makes sense, I HATE public speaking I get all shaky and I can’t focus, but with singing I still get shaky but I can focus on the words and close my eyes for a couple seconds at a time! because if i close them for to long I might look weird up in front lol!

Absolutely possible.

There are many people that stutter when they speak (and that is linked with social anxiety) and yet they can sing without any anxiety or stutter!

Think Ed Sheeran…

I also personally know people on the Autism Spectrum who have gobs of social anxiety, but sing in public beautifully without any problem, because their passion for and talent with music brings them so much pleasure and they are confident in it. Whereas they lack that confidence and passion when speaking in public.

There are also public examples of this, like Susan Boyle.

I hate presentations but I can stand a crowd if I’m acting a character.

So this is possible most likely

I would say that while possible, it’s going to unbelievable that someone has crippling social anxiety while still being able to flawlessly make a performance.

Singing and dancing on stage is a lot easier to do, because there is a script. There is music. Public speaking means people are listening to what you’re saying and it’s a whole different kind of attention.

Someone with social anxiety might be able to let go during a performance, but if they still throw up from speeches, then they need to have anxiety before and after the show.

The more someone performs, the more their anxiety should lessen. It won’t disappear, but it should be better than the first performance. Things like that shouldn’t be overlooked in order to make it believable

I’d go as far as call that almost a trope. You’ve got the shrinking wallflower heroine compared to the outspoken, arrogant rival. But when they are on stage our wallflower heroine suddenly grows incredibly confident and blows everyone’s minds with her ability to perform.

I’m not saying that’s unrealistic or anything, but it’s maybe worth being aware of.

I think it works. Speaking in public and singing in public are two very different things in my eyes. Two different crafts that demand different skills. You may be more comfortable with one than the other.

I have a social disorder (Social Phobie) that mades the contact with other people really difficult. I could hardly “small talk”, phone calls a living hell for me and even here, on social media, it’s often real hard for me to tell something.
Just because of my thinking all the time.

But when I’m talking about something, that I must talk about - like a presentation. So I had the words that I wanted to say etc - I’m a brilliant speaker (my classmates and teatchers often said).
So I think, it mades sense. But maybe with a bit of shyness in it - his inner voice would tell him the whole time things like “You’re not good enough”, “They will laugh about you”, “There are people even better than you”, “You’re not worth it”.

In my thinking, he would need a person or a event, that push him into the “Showlights”. You understood? Someone or something, that is stronger than these inner voice.

Eh usually I get nervous but I feel much better at the end of things go alright. But speaking, I’m always nervous and I don’t understand this…

I have social anxiety and I definitely think its possible to perform. I’ve only recently gotten semicomfortable with public speaking, but I’ve been singing on stage since I was 15 ish. I still get really nervous, but it’s possible.

I’d say no, it’s not possible to be afraid of public speaking but not public singing, but that’s only because I just posted a book about a country western singer who’s terrified of both. (♯ᴖ.ლ) (უ‸ლ)

Absolutely. Although I haven’t done either, I wouldn’t mind singing as I am doing it to entertain the people (and its fun for me too), while speaking in public for like speeches/presentations is just plain boring and would make me nervous about the content and my way of presenting it, while one can lose themselves in the music while singing. Also, if public speaking refers to giving a speech, then the character can say that it is fake because all speeches are just propaganda and saying whatever sounds good to get votes.

Yes, absolutely.

Personal experience. I’m on staff as a music director at a church. I have no stage fright if it involves music. Really not a fan of talking in front of groups of more than a few though. So no worries about having a character experience this.

I would theorize that music is handled by a different part of the brain that handles normal social functions. Perhaps this is why it’s possible (though not always) to compartmentalize these two things. Pure speculation on my part. Don’t quote me. I wouldn’t be surprised at ALL if someone has done research on this. There’s an AWFUL lot of research out there on the way the brain and music get along if you’re interested.

Cheers!

Personally, I can’t do either because I’m terrified of other people’s judgement when it comes to a crowd.
It’s the same thing but the only difference is that, well, you’re singing…?