Can I use this?

This is probably the stupidest question ever… Uh, I have a title for a future book idea that involves the idea of Snow White… I was wanting to use her name in the title and make this a twisted version of snow white (completely different from the Disney version with no dwarves involved)… Can I legally publish this idea and title? Also, please let me know which category this fits in. I wasn’t sure if this was the right place.

I know the original tale of Snow White is public domain and the Disney version is copyrighted. I just want to confirm. My story will not be like the Disney version at all if that helps. I just don’t know if they’ve trademarked the name snow white or something… I’m bad at understanding this.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you can use it. Alice in Wonderland has been used in all sorts of non Disney ways.

2 Likes

You can! No worries. Snow White is public domain. Tons of other people have written Snow White/fairytale stories & gotten them published for money!

I don’t know if this is the right category though.

1 Like

Also I think it would go in Classics here on Wattpad. Or did you mean this thread?

I would think it’s the right category seeing as it IS about writing. Yep you can seeing as it’s part of the public domain. So anything within that is free reign. If you mean the story then I’d say maybe Fantasy\ fairy tales or some combo of that for the category.

2 Likes

I mean this thread haha. Wasn’t sure where to put this thread.

2 Likes

Thank you! I already plan to publish a Peter Oan retelling that I can legally publish and I got an amazing idea for a snow white retelling as well. I love fairytales… :joy:

1 Like

That sounds fun :smile: I love fairytales too! I slightly prefer mythology to fairytales… I’ve been working on a couple mythology-based stories myself! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, you gotta tell me what they’re stories are. Mythology is super cool too.

I personally would have asked in the Improve Your Writing club. But I think asking here helps if you intend to try and get it traditionally published some day.

Edit, a word. @LostNeverland4

I’m planning to self publish this idea someday so I will be publishing it and making money. But thank you.

1 Like

I meant I think it helps asking here. Oops lol.

1 Like

I’m doing the Volsunga Saga/Nibelungenlied, mixed with Saiyuki. It’s a wild tale, but so far, it’s been received well! :smiley:

1 Like

Since it involves some industry stuff, I think this is a fine category!

It sounds like you’re on the right track, re: public domain and originality.

1 Like

Thank you! I definitely aim for originality for my retellings because that’s my favorite part of writing. :smile:

Never actually heard of these but that sounds great!

1 Like

I figured! They’re pretty obscure. But that’s why I love them <3 XD

1 Like