Chapter lengths???

How long do y’all typically make your chapters? I try to aim for 1000 words, and of course, I’m happy to go beyond that, but I just struggle with deciding what is too much, and what isn’t enough.

I try to aim for 1.5k-2.5k for Wattpad chapters because people primarily read on their phone.

3 Likes

I struggle with this on the daily.
I started my journey thinking “I want to be able to easily format this into a novel” and researched that 4000 words is a good chapter length.
Then I came to wattpad and realized chapters are WAAYYY shorter than that for this format. So now I’m torn, do I start uploading and splitting, or do I stick with the long chapters and hope people will keep scrolling for that long!

1 Like

Everyone is different I guess. I aim for 3K - 4K roughly, just to build up momentum in the chapters and story. You can keep it short if you want on Wattpad roughly 2K or less as people read on their phones here. Something others have mentioned. You can keep the paragraphs short too for Wattpad. Something I tend to struggle with, sometimes. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

4000 words isn’t even that much, in my opinion. It’s much, yeah, but once you’re reading and the story’s flowing nicely, it’s fine. I have no problem reading 8000+ word chapters if I like the story. I too see a lot of stories with chapter of only a thousand words, or even way less. Sometimes I see chapters of 500 words. That’s not enough for me. I don’t like that. I prefer longer chapters. 1000 is a bit few, while 8000 may be a bit much. But 4000 is perfect, I think it’s a perfect amount. Not too short, not too long.

Of course, it’s all up to you, what you want. Good luck writing!

1 Like

It depends on the people. Some people like shorter chapters while others like longer.

1 Like

Around 3000 average per chapter. some story are upgraded to have lesser words, by lesser I mean 2000 words average. I feel like it’s because I try to make a picture into words and it made the story longer.

Pray for me, I am editing the old stories before I upload a new chapter

1 Like

True, true. I prefer longer chapters. But not too long.

Do people read from phones on here? I was wondering about chapter lengths also

1 Like

Most people read from their phones, I think. Mainly because it reads a whole lot nicer. Computer or laptop is fine, but reading from your phone is just so easy.

I’ll remember that when I start writing

I try stop at 1k words for each chapter. Shorter and easier to read/write for me instead of overwhelming myself. I could just add more chapters.

2 Likes

Reading from the phone is the easiest way to motivate myself to read anything lol

1 Like

It matters on the story for me. Sometimes I want longer chaps, but others I want them to be shorter.

Yeah true. Sometimes I have a lot to say, and other times I don’t. It depends on that, I guess.

2 Likes

Personally, I prefer chapters that are at least 1.5k and even go over 2k. Then again, I also tend to write chapters that are 3k+ in my current WIP.

**However, it is really however long the chapter needs to be… but **

There is a really neat chart in this website that shows some popular book’s avergae chapter length: https://blog.reedsy.com/how-long-should-a-chapter-be/

" Most agree that under 1,000 words would be rather short and that over 5,000 might be rather too long. As a general guideline, chapters should be between 3,000 to 5,000 words" ~

2 Likes

Mine sit between 2.7k to 4k.

1 Like

Mine are usually 1k as well. Sometimes they get up to 4k.

1 Like

At first I used to write around 2-5K but nowadays I can’t due to many reasons so I tend to write 1500-2000K.
There are people who prefer to write small chapters ( 500 words) and others bigger chapters with more of decriptions around 10K or more words. So ,it really depends.

1 Like

Wattpad average is 1-3k normally around 2k, but I tend to write chapters lengths averaging on 2.5k with the shorter ones being anywhere from 1-1.5k and longer ones 3-3.2k.

It’s up to you, though! So long as you’re enjoying the story and writing what you love, I doubt your readers will have too many qualms with chapter length. :smile_cat:

1 Like