Character Theme Songs?

writing
question
discussion
music

Hi! I was wondering, since i use music while i write, and i’ve seen entire threads dedicated to people using music while they write, my mind was on whether people have theme songs for their characters, or theme songs for fight scenes/significant scenes. It can be anything, i guess that’s the beauty of music and your own creation. It can be rock, to metal, to pop, remix, all the way to VGM and probably further, for example. :slight_smile:

Either way, i wanted to know who uses music here :slight_smile: But at its core this can be a discussion thread. Honestly, i don’t care how off topic this gets, as long as people are enjoying themselves! :slight_smile:

I use music all the time. I have playlists for each significant character, fight scenes and just ambience. Whenever I write I always listen to whatever music is fitting to the scene I’m on. According to iTunes my most played song is now a slow, sad piano instrumental :sweat_smile:

I’m not alone! Yay! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

You use so much music, although i wasn’t really expecting a sad piano instrumental, to each their own, if the scene calls for it i guess? Yeah, i find using music that fits the scene helps to write it. Does that do the same for you?

It was a pretty short song and I’m a slow writer for certain scenes, so it just kept loopin’ :joy:

Yeah, I find that it helps get me into the atmosphere or something. If I don’t have music on then I’m just writing to the sound of traffic and blaring sirens outside of my window, which doesn’t mesh so well with my high fantasy lmao. Especially with fight scenes. I’m a visual thinker, so if I have an epic soundtrack going then I have a better time visualizing fight choreography and scene cinematography (for lack of a better word). I’m a film student if you haven’t guessed lol

I do the same thing while writing fight scenes, imagine the choreography, even certain camera angles. i’d be listening to a big pile of nothing without music, lol.

You’re a film student? I’m kind of wishing i could go back to school myself, it got flooded and everything’s shut down since Thursday. Still, that sounds really cool! :slight_smile:

This is me for almost every part of my stories. It just makes it easier to write

Aw, that sucks. I hope it gets cleared up soon!

I hope so too. I never thought i’d say it, but i think when i hit Year 11 something changed with my willingness to go back :smiley: lol

What do you do as a film student? I’m interested.

So far we’ve just been learning the fundamentals of everything: sound design/recording, camera work, directing, acting, editing, scriptwriting, film history, animation (if you choose to), set safety and protocol… Our department’s courses are categorized into production, craft, history/criticism and writing.

That’s a very comprehensive course. The sound design especially sounds tough, but i suppose it’s a learnt art :slight_smile:

Yeah, trying to get footsteps to line up is the worst, but the overall sound course was actually pretty fun.

At least you found it entertaining :slight_smile: Doing better than my Methods Math class, lol :slight_smile:
Yeah, i can see how getting footsteps to line up would be a nightmare incarnate, the timing has to be in the milliseconds or something i guess.

My MC is a rocker, so definelty inspired by music. Music is going to be one of my favorite parts when writing

Pretty much all of my chapters are written under the inspiration of my music. I always listen to music while I write. It really helps me set the mood of a chapter.

Hi!

I have a playlist for my book. I call it happy music… My son calls it demon music… Right now ‘Love the way you hate me’ is playing.

I have a playlist for my story, lots of pumpin tunes and some somber stuff.