City Of Shadows BC

Umm, so I am totally new to Wattpad and have no bloody idea what I’m doing.

That said, someone told me that this book club might be good for me. I don’t mind at all exchanging story for story/chapter for chapter reads - again, I just started here and would like any and all eyes on my book.

Not sure if mine would be an acceptable fit or not, so here’s the basics:

It’s a YA dark urban fantasy about the Old West afterlife. It’s got a good dose of dark humor and horror (basically, think along the lines of Joss Whedon, Guillermo del Toro, and Stephen King having a baby). It’s fun, but it also has some grim, dark scenes.

It is completed and published, but I have decided to serialize it on Wattpad to gain more of a readership for the next novel I write. Mainly, I’m just looking for people to read it and give me an idea of what they like/don’t like so I can learn what I should work on for next time.

If this seems like a fit at all, please let me know. :slight_smile:

Yes! We are still happily taking on new members every day!

The Shadows embraces both the light and the dark. You sound like you’d fit right in with us. :wink:

It sounds like you need to become a City of Shadows citizen. :wink: Our club will not only give you reads but feedback on how to better your work. Plus! An amazing community of people to bounce ideas off of, and form new Wattpad friends.

1 Like

Yay!

Okay, new noob question… what am I supposed to do from here?

I will send you a link to the club via private message on Wattpad. :smile:

1 Like

Yay! I received it yesterday while I was on a long shift so I’ll be checking it out more today.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:smile: Looking forward to hearing from you!

1 Like

As one of the founders and reader of City of Shadows, trust me when I say dark works with us, and no matter what there’s no harm in trying something new!

1 Like

Busts in like the kool-laid man I’M HERE! oof…um let me go fill out that application. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am super interested!

But…

I read the guidelines.

I’m in the middle of remodeling my house right now. (It’s literally in pieces. :grimacing:) I can’t promise any number of reads a week at the moment and I definitely can’t download a chat app (not because I don’t want to, but because my phone is old, and cheap, and keeps telling me I can’t add any more apps to my phone even though I only have like two!!! :roll_eyes::unamused:) But I digress.

sigh

I really, really WANT to join a book club. I’m just not book club material right now. Hopefully some day, in the distant future, when I have a functioning kitchen (among other things). :joy:

I definitely want to join a club where dark works. So you guys are at the top of my list. :+1:

1 Like

Completely understand. Hope things work out so you can join us soon!

1 Like

I’m looking for a book club and haven’t really found a happy match yet. There are lots of features of this one that sound appealing, but you only look at one chapter per week, right? So that means it would take about 40 weeks to have my novel critiqued. So, some questions:

• Do you offer any other options in terms of number of chapters per week?
  • Are any individual members interested in swapping critiques at a faster pace?
  • Could you recommend a different book club that does whole books at a faster pace, but still has a quality requirement for entry?

And… is there a quick link to the members’ books or profiles, so I can check out the sort of material I would be critiquing?

1 Like

We currently prefer people not to read ahead in their reading groups just because if one person in a group finishes all of their groups books, then we would have to move them to a new group, which means their whole book wouldn’t be complete.

As for individual members, not sure who would be open for a read for read, that’s something that would have to talked about between the two people wishing to do this, and it wouldn’t be club monitored.

As far as other clubs, most of the clubs we have seen you are people partnered with just one person who critiques your first couple chapters, but then the next week your switched to someone else. So a lot of the time you are only get your first chapters read over and over by different people. Other groups we’ve seen use reading groups only your not guaranteed to have your book read every round, so you could be waiting a week or two before someone even reads one chapter. But this is just what we have seen, we don’t know if there are other options out there. This system is what we believed would get people a full book critique. Plus we like to focus on quality work, where as a lot of the clubs we have experienced will take anyone who enters.

If you’re interested in seeing what kind of books our members have, you can go to the club profile page that is link in the first post. We have a reading list with all of our member’s books included.

Thanks for the reply! Will check out the club profile page.

Hello!
I am one of the founders of City of Shadows Book Club. If you have any questions concerning the club please don’t hesitate to ask. We are happy to help any potential members and make sure that you are comfortable with this club. We look forward to getting to know each and every one of you. We have become a tight knit community of writers and would be happy for you to join it.

1 Like

Tomorrow, City of Shadows BC starts a new round. Anyone who would like to jump in before it starts is more than welcomed to put in an app!!

Just to let anyone know who is interested, City of Shadow BC is adding a reading group specifically for those who write mature content in the sexy sense. It’ll be our Shadow City Red Light District and will start as soon as we have enough members for it!

Are you still accepting members? I am the new kid on the block who likes to write Dark fantasy featuring many of the supernatural, psychological thrillers, and mystery as my username suggests. City of shadows sounds fun, I would love to join it!

So sorry for the late reply. Yes we are still accepting members!